Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SEA-CMH (Columbus) Starting March 7, 2019

SEA-CMH (Columbus) Starting March 7, 2019

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Why not Cleveland.... there is a dearth of good flights to that city. I would visit my 85 year old mother more.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
I figured either DL or AS would start this at some point. I also thought F9 or NK would've been longshots. Glad to see the new carrier AND route!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
The Seattle-based tech news site GeekWire points to Columbus' importance in tech with connections to Seattle as a "why" for the new route:

"Microsoft has a corporate sales office and retail operation in Columbus. Boeing has a Columbus outpost and Amazon has more than 4,000 employees in the city at its cloud data centers and warehouses."
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Why not Cleveland.... there is a dearth of good flights to that city. I would visit my 85 year old mother more.
I would love AS to begin service to CLE (my home town and family are nearby) and CVG (where I went to college and lived for 10 years) but I'll be glad to have CMH as an alternate roughly midpoint between the two. Still, I think PIT is closer to CLE than CMH...I'll check that out.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:48 pm

So AS has decided to try both PIT and CMH. It’s an interesting discussion on CLE and CVG above as well. I know this is not apples to apples comparison, but out of LAX, they have the following airlines serving each destinations

CMH: AA, DL
CVG: DL, G4, F9
CLE: UA, NK
PIT: NK, WN on the way out

These give you some ideas about the dynamics out of west coast to OH/Western PA. CVG and CLE have some semblance of legacy service I guess because they used to be hubs. CMH is interesting with still having legacy services and no ULCC, yet. I really feel for PIT...
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Didn’t realize that AA dropped the LAX-PIT flight. Bummer.

But on the face of it, SEA-CMH and SEA-PIT make sense, as they’re both second or third tier (depending on how you want to classify those tiers) tech cities which would get a lot of SEA traffic. The incentives these airports are offering to lure new service aren’t bad either.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:13 pm

If CMH is chosen for HQ2, we can expect a lot more flights there! 🤗

As an AMZN employee from CVG, I'm really pulling for the ORD-IND-CMH-PIT band of Midwest candidates, though the internal poll I'm running points to ATL and WAS. (NB: All idle speculation; I have no insight into that process.)
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
If CMH is chosen for HQ2, we can expect a lot more flights there! ��
This addition now gives AS direct non-stops to 19 of the 20 cities on the Amazon short list for HQ2, now that it's added Pittsburgh and Columbus.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
The Seattle-based tech news site GeekWire points to Columbus' importance in tech with connections to Seattle as a "why" for the new route:

"Microsoft has a corporate sales office and retail operation in Columbus. Boeing has a Columbus outpost and Amazon has more than 4,000 employees in the city at its cloud data centers and warehouses."
Boeing also has some sort of presence in Dayton, with an office (complete with Boeing signage) just off I-675 near Wright-Patterson AFB, probably a ~1 hour drive from CMH.

Originally Posted by radiowell
So AS has decided to try both PIT and CMH. It’s an interesting discussion on CLE and CVG above as well. I know this is not apples to apples comparison, but out of LAX, they have the following airlines serving each destinations

CMH: AA, DL
CVG: DL, G4, F9
CLE: UA, NK
PIT: NK, WN on the way out

These give you some ideas about the dynamics out of west coast to OH/Western PA. CVG and CLE have some semblance of legacy service I guess because they used to be hubs. CMH is interesting with still having legacy services and no ULCC, yet. I really feel for PIT...
AA is up to double-daily on CMH-LAX beginning in November, too.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:28 am

CMH used to have non-stop service to WA state in the form of SX CMH-BLI
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CZBB
CMH used to have non-stop service to WA state in the form of SX CMH-BLI
Was going to point out the AS press release wasn't accurate

Not that I'd consider flying that carrier
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Looks like service is postponed until March 8.
where do you see this? The flight is still bookable and in the system on 3/7
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Oops. That's what happens when you check schedules on your phone while in the doctor's office.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek
oops. That's what happens when you check schedules on your phone while in the doctor's office.
😂😂😂
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Wow....two days from the inaugural flight and seats are still bookable....although flying to the middle of Ohio during an arctic freeze doesn't sound too exciting unless we're talking about an immediate return to SEA...lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.