Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SAN - BOS with lap child, how to navigate upgrades to P/F?

Old Aug 26, 18, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Flying SAN/BOS transcon on the 30th (flight 798) with wife and baby and would love to find a way to upgrade (baby is non-ticketed, lap child). All coach seats are reserved, looks like 3xF and 7xP are all that is left. We are looking for a way to maximize our chance to have either a row to our self(bring on car seat, or simply have more room with the baby

No status ... 160k AS miles in the bank.
Currently have 2 x miles redemption seats in coach (15k each).

Via the AS website, I can upgrade to premier for $119 a seat.
Called in re. a first class and was quoted 50k AS miles per seat.
Digging around a bit, it sounds as if prices may change at the T-24 mark?

Whats my best strategy at this point? Pay the $119x2 (50k x 2 seems too pricey)? Wait for T-24?
I can see 3 F seats remaining, 1D & 1F as a pair ... and about 7 P seats.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by bryan995; Aug 26, 18 at 6:53 pm
Old Aug 26, 18, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
That flight looks really full right now. All of the free seats are taken and most of the lowest fare buckets are sold out. I doubt there is much chance for what you want to happen. I'm sure there's people on the wait list for F and elites that have cheaper bookings havn't had a chance to select premium seats (only 9 left in Y and 3 I believe have the airbag so cant accommodate child, similar with F, 2 of 3 are bulkhead w/ airbag so no babies) .
Old Aug 26, 18, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
That flight looks really full right now. All of the free seats are taken and most of the lowest fare buckets are sold out. I doubt there is much chance for what you want to happen. I'm sure there's people on the wait list for F and elites that have cheaper bookings havn't had a chance to select premium seats (only 9 left in Y and 3 I believe have the airbag so cant accommodate child, similar with F, 2 of 3 are bulkhead w/ airbag so no babies) .
Appreciate the help. Looks like F is out for the way there. If I were to go for the premium seats, better to do this now than to wait for T-24? (@ $119/seat. Looks like an upgrade to P does not allow payment via miles?). Or perhaps given that the chances of having a full row to ourselves is very low, and the extra 4-inches may not make much of a differences, the best bet may to stay where we are.

Last edited by bryan995; Aug 26, 18 at 6:57 pm
Old Aug 26, 18, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by bryan995 View Post
Appreciate the help. Looks like F is out for the way there. If I were to go for the premium seats, better to do this now than to wait for T-24? (@ $119/seat. Looks like an upgrade to P does not allow payment via miles?). Or perhaps given that the chances of having a full row to ourselves is very low, and the extra 4-inches may not make much of a differences, the best bet may to stay where we are.
If you wait at T-24 there may not be any seats left, as elites MVPG and MVPs can change into those seats if their fare class is too low currently, by at least T-48. Depending how you value, a very small snack, extra legroom and free drinks for that flight will depend if you think it is best to buy up.
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
If you're in coach, be sure that the lap infant is in the reservation as soon as possible. If there's an empty seat next to the passenger with the lap infant, AS blocks it. They'll still assign it at the gate if they need it, but it will be (one of) the last seats they assign if the flight isn't full. When we had a lap infant (in 2014-2016), we wound up with the empty seat about 50% of the time on Alaska, including on flights where that was the only open seat in coach.

AS was by far the friendliest of the airlines we flew with a lap infant (which included AA, US, BA, QF, VA, NZ, and DL), both in policy and the helpfulness and friendliness of check-in agents, gate agents, phone reservation agents, Twitter agents, and flight attendants. It led to us booking with AS over the competition on several occasions even when they were a bit more expensive or less convenient.