Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Fall 2018 New AS Route Announcement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Fall 2018 New AS Route Announcement

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
No, it's not. You can have your opinion, and that's fine.

The Virgin purchase and subsequent integration is a colossal disaster. SFO routes have been seriously pulled back. LAX, an existing hub, has seen flights pulled back. Flights have been cut in Portland as well. It's save Seattle at all costs now at the expense of the rest of the system/network.

This has nothing to do with Memphis or Cincinnati. Those places were de-hubbed because Detla lacked the traffic to send through a Detroit and CIncinnati hub. It's that simple. Memphis always was an odd duck, and when Atlanta is in the mix, they didn't need Memphis to cover the south.

All Alaska has ended with is planes and pilots. It paid for an existing network. It's dismantling that.

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This is a ridiculous statement. By what metric is this "colossal disaster"? There are still Virgin planes flying around with seatback TV's and ordering and their small First Class cabin. The dust is still settling and the two airlines are still in the process of becoming one airline. When all workgroups are merged together, Airbus and Boeing planes are flying throughout the merged system, there is no distinction between a L-VX plane and a L-AS plane, then you can start to consider whether or not the merge is actually a failure or a success. Delta closed Memphis as a hub and significantly downsized Cincinnati. United and American crews have only begun flying together recently. UA is still figuring out what's working in terms of network, and so it seems is AA. It doesn't seem that those mergers were failures - they seem to be growing and making tons of money. All of these things will take time, but in terms of time, Alaska has forged ahead much faster than the other airlines. There have been some successes and some failures. As a company, there will probably always be successes and failures. That's the way business goes. Sometimes if you don't try something you won't know if it's going to work or not. The SFO and LAX networks are larger than they were before. PDX is as well. SAN and SJC have slowly grown into much more important focus cities. The network will mature and some things will work and some won't. It doesn't mean anything is a "colossal disaster".
tjinsf2013 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
No, it's not. You can have your opinion, and that's fine.

The Virgin purchase and subsequent integration is a colossal disaster. SFO routes have been seriously pulled back. LAX, an existing hub, has seen flights pulled back. Flights have been cut in Portland as well. It's save Seattle at all costs now at the expense of the rest of the system/network.

This has nothing to do with Memphis or Cincinnati. Those places were de-hubbed because Detla lacked the traffic to send through a Detroit and CIncinnati hub. It's that simple. Memphis always was an odd duck, and when Atlanta is in the mix, they didn't need Memphis to cover the south.

All Alaska has ended with is planes and pilots. It paid for an existing network. It's dismantling that.
Support your opinion with facts. Does PDX have more flights now than it did 3 years ago, or less? Does SFO have more flights now than 3 years ago, or less? Does LAX have more flights than 3 years ago, or less? LAX may be the only one that has less flights as a combined network, but still way more than AS had pre-merger - and a much larger network. You can't support your opinion with facts because its not a fact. You have nothing but an unsubstantiated and misinformed opinion. Just because you say it's so doesn't make it so.

You talk about this being a colossal disaster, and my point in bring up the other mergers, is that there were losses and gains. So far, the only possible hub/focus city that has seen a reduction in flights is LAX. That's it. Full stop. End of story.

You've been belly aching about PDX being the red headed step child years before this merger ever happened so I have no expectation you'll ever stop. If you want to live in a city with an airport that supports a major hub then you should find a city that can support one. PDX is WAY bigger with a MUCH larger network now than it was 10 years ago. PDX has grown - when other airlines really aren't growing much there at all.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Sad, considering what was. AA and United own the EUG-LAX route now; Alaska none. That's plain amazing and shows how Alaska has lost its way.
meanwhile, folks in the UA forum gripe about the fact that UA still doesn’t fly to PDX from LAX.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
[Redacted quote of now-deleted post]

C'mon now, it was just a little bit of high purb o'leigh.

I'm not as optimistic about AS being my 'one airline fits most of my domestic needs' as I was when the purchase occurred, but I can't quite figure out what sort of colossal failure has occurred, nor can Wall Street.
AS Flyer and FlyingBear like this.

Last edited by jackal; Oct 18, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

meanwhile, folks in the UA forum gripe about the fact that UA still doesn’t fly to PDX from LAX.
Maybe they'll restore than soon enough?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
C'mon now, it was just a little bit of high purb o'leigh.

I'm not as optimistic about AS being my 'one airline fits most of my domestic needs' as I was when the purchase occurred, but I can't quite figure out what sort of colossal failure has occurred, nor can Wall Street.
on this we agree - AS isn't going to be a one airline fits all for domestic travel - and definitely not international. At least not anytime soon. But yeah - where's the colossal failure?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
[Redacted quote of now-deleted post]

Petty or not, I appreciate the contributions of ASFlyer to this forum since this perspective is unique in the sense that it's coming from someone who actually works for AS and probably spends more time on AS flights than the most frequent 75K flyer....that right there automatically garners a greater level of "leeway" and respect....although newcomer AS737 has joined the party but we all know that competition can be a good thing, right??
notquiteaff and DrAlex like this.

Last edited by jackal; Oct 18, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
**TOPIC CHECK**

Please note this thread is about [friendly, baseless, armchair-CEO] speculation of possible new routes.

Rehashing discussion of AS's overall corporate strategy, product quality, brand future, and longevity are best handled in other existing threads dedicated to those topics.

Let's please keep this thread aligned with its original intent.

Regards,
jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
ANC-SFO.

Make it happen.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
FWIW, there was at least one question about network on the earnings call:

...Are we at a point now where going forward – and I guess maybe this is even the question for Andrew as well – that we're not going to see anything more material with respect to the network, like the big changes have occurred and this is the network of 2019 and beyond?

AAG

Yeah. Michael, this is Andrew. That's right. I think if you look at the culling, we cleaned up Dallas Love Field to the East Coast. We took care of our Mexico City slots which weren't going to be long-term winners for us. And as we've shared previously, the network we inherited from Virgin America, we've made significant changes there. So, we feel really good about the network. Our big opportunity – Ben may comment on this – on the schedule, but also just the marketing times of our network and getting our flights leaving at the times we want them to leave is our next big opportunity.
A year ago I would have interpreted this as saying they're not planning to make the network better. But now I'd interpret it as saying they're not planning to make the network worse.
FlyingBear and rustykettel like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by milypan
A year ago I would have interpreted this as saying they're not planning to make the network better. But now I'd interpret it as saying they're not planning to make the network worse.
Magic eight ball says check your reservations for "Schedule changes".
jjmadison and Nurse Traveler like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
My Spidey Sense Armchair CEO Crystal Ball Prediction™ is a significant increase in SEA-WAS and SEA-NYC routes in the near future: Amazon's new HQs
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DrAlex
My Spidey Sense Armchair CEO Crystal Ball Prediction™ is a significant increase in SEA-WAS and SEA-NYC routes in the near future: Amazon's new HQs
Probably not. The HQ in DC will be near DCA and AS just gave up their in perimeter slots and have no other slots to add to SEA. JFK also has no slots for them unless they move flights from SFO/LAX which would put them at an even worse position in California transcons. EWR is not a great options for people in LIC. JFK/LGA are much more convenient and LGA slots were also just given up by AS so even connecting options from LGA are not options for them.

People based in the East Coast are also not going to be just traveling to SEA. It is more likely those people will be travelling within the East Coast while those in SEA deal with the West Coast. Seems like AS's competitors would be helped more as those that need to travel within the East Coast can't choose AS as they have no flights. This means that DL/B6/AA/UA all have a much broader network which better serves the East Coast based employees and gives them greater leverage with Amazon corporate contracts.

Now if you need somebody in Boston, they fly up from NY or DC and can even do a day trip rather than flying somebody in from SEA. Need a lobbyist in DC, surprise you already have them in DC and don't need to fly them anywhere.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Nov 13, 2018 at 10:57 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Probably not. The HQ in DC will be near DCA and AS just gave up their in perimeter slots and have no other slots to add to SEA. JFK also has no slots for them unless they move flights from SFO/LAX which would put them at an even worse position in California transcons. EWR is not a great options for people in LIC. JFK/LGA are much more convenient and LGA slots were also just given up by AS so even connecting options from LGA are not options for them.

People based in the East Coast are also not going to be just traveling to SEA. It is more likely those people will be travelling within the East Coast while those in SEA deal with the West Coast. Seems like AS's competitors would be helped more as those that need to travel within the East Coast can't choose AS as they have no flights. This means that DL/B6/AA/UA all have a much broader network which better serves the East Coast based employees and gives them greater leverage with Amazon corporate contracts.

Now if you need somebody in Boston, they fly up from NY or DC and can even do a day trip rather than flying somebody in from SEA. Need a lobbyist in DC, surprise you already have them in DC and don't need to fly them anywhere.
OK Negative Nancy. How about IMHO AS will likely increase their capacity in some manor due to a noticeable uptick in Amazon employee travel to these areas, regardless of how much AS has just "shot themselves in the foot".
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
OP is asking about SEA-NYC/WAS. In perimeter DCA/LGA slots are 100% useless for that; since SEA is outside the perimeter it requires a beyond perimeter DCA slot and there is no such thing for LGA aside from UA getting grandfathered in on DEN-LGA. Beyond perimeter DCA slots are nearly impossible to come by (you get to apply to the DOT for them if/when they open up), though AS actually is in pretty good shape for that; they serve SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX-DCA 5x daily, which is better than anyone else out of DCA for the West Coast (unless you consider PHX/LAS West Coast; I don't since the states don't even f'ing border an ocean), and NOBODY serves LGA-West Coast nonstop (unless they want to start it up on Saturdays when the LGA perimeter doesn't apply).

For the record, AS is leasing slots to WN. Presumably if LGA ever did get rid of their perimeter or for some reason you could turn DCA in perimeter slots to beyond perimeter ones AS would be getting their slots back once the lease expired and would be starting SEA/PDX/LAX/SFO/SJC/SAN-LGA service (or doing more DCA service- SAN-DCA, SJC-DCA) a nanosecond later.

I know your official position seems to be AS is the worst airline ever™ but I tend to think coughing up the pmVX in-perimeter slots just talks about how scattershot VX was for planning their route network (YYZ, maybe we serve PDX, maybe we don't, oh, let's try DAL-AUS and pretend WN won't kill us, and so on). DAL-LGA/DCA might have made more sense if slots weren't expensive and DAL wasn't permanently kneecapped at two gates.

You're right about JFK and I would add that IAD/BWI aren't great alternates for DCA for business trips to HQ2, though they're not terrible going home for the greater DC area if you work at HQ2 and need to go to HQ1, depending on where you live I guess. So I'd say OP is right about this being helpful at supporting SEA-WAS/NYC traffic, but maybe not a ton of new service.

Originally Posted by DrAlex
OK Negative Nancy. How about IMHO AS will likely increase their capacity in some manor due to a noticeable uptick in Amazon employee travel to these areas, regardless of how much AS has just "shot themselves in the foot".
It's probably good news for AS at JFK and on DCA/IAD/BWI routes for the reasons stated. AS has made attractive status offers to Amazon employees in the past, FWIW. DL is probably cheering too because they're legit at both LGA and JFK. AA is probably pretty happy too given their position at DCA.
CalanMan likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 13, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.