Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Fall 2018 New AS Route Announcement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Fall 2018 New AS Route Announcement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Does anyone else find it shocking that an airline of this size has exactly one future route on the books beyond this Thursday?
No, as they will likely only grow by upgauging for the next year and a half. Otherwise it will just be rearranging the deck chairs through 2019.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

No, as they will likely only grow by upgauging for the next year and a half. Otherwise it will just be rearranging the deck chairs through 2019.

2% growth for next year reflects growth, not upgauging or "rearranging the deck chairs". It also does not account for the unprofitable routes that have been cut - both those that VX was losing money on and those new ones that AS started that didn't mature quickly enough, or show signs of maturing in a decent time frame. Given that, you could expect more new routes to be announced, not necessarily new cities, to make up that 2% plus more to compensate for the reduction in flying because of cancelled flying.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
[...] those new ones that AS started that didn't mature quickly enough, or show signs of maturing in a decent time frame.
Does it seem like they’re pulling routes faster than before?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog

Does it seem like they’re pulling routes faster than before?
Yes, which makes sense since fuel prices have risen. With higher cost, there is less tolerance for mediocre routes. Other airlines are making significant changes as well.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:09 am

2% growth for next year reflects growth, not upgauging or "rearranging the deck chairs". It also does not account for the unprofitable routes that have been cut - both those that VX was losing money on and those new ones that AS started that didn't mature quickly enough, or show signs of maturing in a decent time frame. Given that, you could expect more new routes to be announced, not necessarily new cities, to make up that 2% plus more to compensate for the reduction in flying because of cancelled flying.
2% growth is either in ASM or available seat. Either way, upgauging will be a big part of that. There is not a single airline that measures growth in terms of # of daily departures. Adding more seats to A320s will be part of the growth. Adding more B739ER will be part of the growth. I won't be surprised if # of daily departures remain unchanged for next year.
sfozrhfco likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by jinglish
How soon do you think that is going to happen?
when they buy Jet Blue

More likely would be a Midwest hub like in KC or STL and put horizon flights out of there
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Does anyone else find it shocking that an airline of this size has exactly one future route on the books beyond this Thursday?
they just bough virgin so it will take some time for that to settle before they grow some

Last edited by djp98374; Sep 4, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
2% growth is either in ASM or available seat. Either way, upgauging will be a big part of that. There is not a single airline that measures growth in terms of # of daily departures. Adding more seats to A320s will be part of the growth. Adding more B739ER will be part of the growth. I won't be surprised if # of daily departures remain unchanged for next year.
Exactly--the longer flights--those with more ASMs are going to be operated by planes with more seats and seats are being added to the former VX planes. They could very well have fewer flights overall through 2019.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:44 pm

Here's exactly what was said (spoiler: it is 2% ASM growth):

Finally, a note on 2019 capacity. Given the very substantial increase in fuel prices over the last couple of years and a capacity environment that has not adequately adjusted to them, we have reduced our 2019 capacity growth to 2%. As we've said on prior calls, we want to be good stewards of capital, and in this environment, we're just not seeing the returns that justify higher levels of growth. However, given the competitive advantages that we maintain, we think there will be a time in the intermediate term when higher growth will once again make sense for us and our owners.
I would expect A320 reconfiguration to have a negligible impact on capacity as aircraft will be out of service for reconfiguration. The growth will probably come from the 5 new aircraft being added next year. It will be less growth than 5 aircraft could have added in the past as marginal, high-utilization flying (e.g. redeyes) is being reduced.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by djp98374
when they buy Jet Blue

More likely would be a Midwest hub like in KC or STL and put horizon flights out of there
Skeptical on that. Buying Jet Blue? Unlikely. A hub in KC or STL? I don't know much STL is in their plans, they pulled back and only serve it from Seattle at the moment. KCI maybe, a new terminal is supposed to be open in 2021 or 2022 and may make the airport more palatable for today's security standards. Now its unlikely you could ever connect here since security is in one to two gate blocks through most of the airport. To be successful Alaska has to be more than successful from just one key city.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Skeptical on that. Buying Jet Blue? Unlikely. A hub in KC or STL? I don't know much STL is in their plans, they pulled back and only serve it from Seattle at the moment. KCI maybe, a new terminal is supposed to be open in 2021 or 2022 and may make the airport more palatable for today's security standards. Now its unlikely you could ever connect here since security is in one to two gate blocks through most of the airport. To be successful Alaska has to be more than successful from just one key city.
AS serves STL from SAN as well! I do find it unlikely that they would ever develop a hub there though.

Not sure if AS will be granted more gates than its current situation at SAN once the move to T2 is complete in January, but I’d selfishly love to see SAN get more routes. It would be easier and make more sense for AS to build at SAN than KCI or STL.

I think AS’s best shot at developing a hub outside of the west coast is to first make a focus city out of wherever Amazon puts HQ2 and build on that.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by djp98374

There is preceisely zero chance of that happening in the near term. They would lose less money if they withdrew their available cash reserves and set it on fire rather than opening a hub at MCI or STL.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:25 pm

Yes. I get that. But if they're reducing flights then does that not reduce the flown ASM's as well? If they're planning on 2% growth based on today's ASM's, but then reduce the ASM flown, doesn't that mean more than 2% increase based on today's ASM? So, while the words change, the concept is the same, right? I'm not talking about daily departures as well - I'm guessing that probably will remain fairly similar to what we see today, with a shift in where those planes go. As someone else mentioned, the A320's won't be contributing greatly to the increase in ASM's through 2019, though there will be a few new Boeings coming on property.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

There is preceisely zero chance of that happening in the near term. They would lose less money if they withdrew their available cash reserves and set it on fire rather than opening a hub at MCI or STL.
On this we definitely agree. A midcon hub isn't gonna happen with the current Alaska Airlines. If Alaska were to join forces with, say, JetBlue then I would imagine anything is possible as that would then be a true national carrier. Right now... I'd bet my next year of pay that the middle of the country won't see any kind of Alaska service that doesn't go to the west coast.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:09 pm

Yes. I get that. But if they're reducing flights then does that not reduce the flown ASM's as well?.
Not necessarily. On a transcon of 2550 miles operated by an A319, the ASMs would be 303,450. The same flight replaced by an 737-900 would be either 453,900 or 461,550. Thus all of the increases coming from A737s replacing the longest former VX flights would need to come from decreases elsewhere to keep the total capacity increase to only 2%.

It is the same kind of thing when mainline replaces a Horizon flight. You could take out two Horizon frequencies and replace them with one mainline aircraft and still increase the ASMs.

Yes, there will be some reduction by replacing former VX planes on shorter flights in the West but again because of all the higher capacity on the longer/denser flights, they may just be planning to cut quite a lot of flights out completely (which they may do anyway if former VX aircraft are in maintenance/getting new seats). It seems likely that the total flight numbers will be well off their peak through 2019 unless they change their guidance again due to reduced oil prices or strong increases in yields--both of which seem unlikely in the current environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.