Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SAN Terminal 1 - No Access to Airspace Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Emerald Club Excutive

I don't fly out of SAN often, but was bummed I could not locate access after security from Terminal 1 to the Boardroom partner club "Airspace Lounge" in terminal 2. With Check-In as well so many flights out of Terminal 1, not sure the value of this partnership.

Did I miss something?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Million Miler
Unfortunately there are no lounges at all in T1 at SAN. The majority (if not all) Alaska flights depart from T1. Occassionally Alaska has arrivals at T2. International flights arrive in T2 and I believe Alaska has some of the legacy Virigin gates in T2 that they use for arrivals/parking if there is no gate space available in T1.

Ultimately the Airspace lounge is of very limited use to Alaska passengers unless you have a VERY long layover and want to exit terminal 1, walk to T2, and use the lounge for a bit before walking back to T1, clearing security again, and waiting at the gate. The Airspace Lounge is pretty decent for a domestic lounge and I have used it on occasion when I have taken voluntary bumps on Alaska. It's practical uses are few and far between, but it is a nice option in the right situation.
Don Draper likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Million Miler
I should note that it is NOT worth showing up to the airport early for an Alaska flight just to use the lounge. T1 small and usually pretty efficient. I fly out weekly and usually arrive at the airport about 45 min before my flight, breeze through security and walk right onto the plane.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Don Draper
I don't fly out of SAN often, but was bummed I could not locate access after security from Terminal 1 to the Boardroom partner club "Airspace Lounge" in terminal 2. With Check-In as well so many flights out of Terminal 1, not sure the value of this partnership.

Did I miss something?
Yes, you did
SAN has been is a mess lately
AS is moving to T2 in early 2019. Early means August, right?
Don Draper likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
Update on the SAN timetable:

All flights from SAN to SFO and all flights to Hawaii now operate out of Terminal 2. Remaining flights will move to T2 in early 2019. T2 ticket counter will open January 29, 2019.
PABE, wolfpacktrojan and DrAlex like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter

All flights from SAN to SFO and all flights to Hawaii now operate out of Terminal 2. Remaining flights will move to T2 in early 2019. T2 ticket counter will open January 29, 2019.
Any idea how many total gates AS is going to be operating at T2? And who is going to be moving to T1 in AS’s place?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan

Any idea how many total gates AS is going to be operating at T2? And who is going to be moving to T1 in AS’s place?
Not sure on further details. This is just what the ticket agent told us this morning when we checked in and were surprised to be told Gate 22.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec

Not sure on further details. This is just what the ticket agent told us this morning when we checked in and were surprised to be told Gate 22.
Thanks for sharing! I’m sure I’m not alone in this, but I can’t wait for the day that I no longer have to use T1.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM

Thanks for sharing! I’m sure I’m not alone in this, but I can’t wait for the day that I no longer have to use T1.
Agreed!
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

For current flights out of T2, do you drop bags in T1 and then walk over?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Amen. Only place worse that Alaska T1 is Southwest T1. Terrible experience for flying. T2 on the other hand is very nice.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by twitch76

For current flights out of T2, do you drop bags in T1 and then walk over?
Yes, until the new T2 ticket counter opens, it will be necessary to drop bags at the T1 counter. It’s only about a 3 to 5 minute walk over, and there is a bus available for people with mobility issues. Also, now that international departures have moved to the west end of T2, it seams the TSA lines at the new Alaska gates will be much improved (no more groups of 100+ European teenagers on tour groups).

Overall, I think SAN is going to be a much more pleasant airport for AS passengers once the move is complete.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

Yes, until the new T2 ticket counter opens, it will be necessary to drop bags at the T1 counter. It’s only about a 3 to 5 minute walk over, and there is a bus available for people with mobility issues. Also, now that international departures have moved to the west end of T2, it seams the TSA lines at the new Alaska gates will be much improved (no more groups of 100+ European teenagers on tour groups).

Overall, I think SAN is going to be a much more pleasant airport for AS passengers once the move is complete.
Thanks for the info.! Question: I have a SAN-SFO next week w/checked bag, is there an air side connector between the two? I'm not familiar with the layout.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Thanks for the info.! Question: I have a SAN-SFO next week w/checked bag, is there an air side connector between the two? I'm not familiar with the layout.
No airside connector...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:08 pm

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics...novation-plan/

Terminal 1 will undergo a complete replacement beginning in 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.