Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PenAir Ordered to Sell to a Bidder Who Will Continue Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

PenAir Ordered To Liquidate Over 'Quickly Deteriorating Cash Position' | KUCB

May be the end of an era in Alaskan aviation, as well as the end of a long term partner and feeder to AS.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Well, the thread over at A.Net is less dire, claiming that they've been ordered to sell to a buyer.
For some reason, I'm picturing that process as being different from liquidation.
But now that I think about it... maybe it's the same thing?
I think of liquidation as being a fire sale of every plane, nut, bolt, desk, pen, and pencil in the building.
But a sale could imply that they would continue operating, under new ownership.
So....... whatever, I just hope the best for everybody, and that they can land on their feet.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
They just posted this CORRECTION:

Correction: A previous headline for this story said PenAir had been ordered to “liquidate.” That word does not apply to the airline’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, although it was used by city officials and is often used to refer to selling assets. Instead, PenAir has been ordered to sell its assets to a bidder who will continue to operate the airline. In an email to KUCB, Trustee Gerald McHale wrote: “The headline [made] it sound like we’re having a ‘liquidation sale,’ which most people equate to a closure of a business. This is clearly not the case here. The business will continue to operate, but under the control of the successful bidder.” KUCB has corrected the headline above.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Legend717
They just posted this CORRECTION:

Correction: A previous headline for this story said PenAir had been ordered to “liquidate.” That word does not apply to the airline’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, although it was used by city officials and is often used to refer to selling assets. Instead, PenAir has been ordered to sell its assets to a bidder who will continue to operate the airline. In an email to KUCB, Trustee Gerald McHale wrote: “The headline [made] it sound like we’re having a ‘liquidation sale,’ which most people equate to a closure of a business. This is clearly not the case here. The business will continue to operate, but under the control of the successful bidder.” KUCB has corrected the headline above.
Still interesting, and still likely the close of a chapter in Alaskan aviation.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wonder who might take it over...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Chugach
Still interesting, and still likely the close of a chapter in Alaskan aviation.
Well. I still hope they can find a good, sustainable way to keep operating.
I mean, there's demand there. Obviously. Isolated markets.
And the fares they're charging... I mean, ANYONE should be able to operate profitably on a $450 fare from Anchorage to McGrath! That's an hour long flight in a Saab 340.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Legend717
Well. I still hope they can find a good, sustainable way to keep operating.
I mean, there's demand there. Obviously. Isolated markets.
And the fares they're charging... I mean, ANYONE should be able to operate profitably on a $450 fare from Anchorage to McGrath! That's an hour long flight in a Saab 340.
But how full is the aircraft?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe AS should buy them so could get full elite credit for the flights.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
But how full is the aircraft?
BTS shows average load factors ANC-MCG of 39% for the first five months of 2018.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
which translates to 14-15 out of 37 seats on a Saab 340

edit: 18 of 45 on the Saab 2000 — just saw later posts from UAPremierExec and Chugach; I’d forgotten KS has the bigger version

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 22, 2018 at 6:51 pm Reason: as noted
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Is the ANC-MCG route subsidized by the EAS program?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:47 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
Is the ANC-MCG route subsidized by the EAS program?
No.

I hate to say it, but these flights simply may not be feasible without subsidies. Many communities in Alaska have subsidized flights. Those that don't might lose service altogether. If PenAir couldn't make these flights work out, it's questionable whether anyone else can.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
No.

I hate to say it, but these flights simply may not be feasible without subsidies. Many communities in Alaska have subsidized flights. Those that don't might lose service altogether. If PenAir couldn't make these flights work out, it's questionable whether anyone else can.
I don't know where these communities are, but some possibilities which perhaps PenAir didn't consider:
  • Less frequent flights
  • "Roundup" flights -- ie, a flght which goes to small airport A and small airport B and small airport C before going to its final destination. Then as long as the sum of the traffic to airport A, B, and C is enough to make it work, it may work better than separate flights for each of those small airports.
But it depends a lot on where these unsubsidized airports are, and whether it's practical to combine their flights with flights to other airports (unsubsidized or subsidized).

I've seen examples of this in international flights by some legacies, who couldn't afford to subsidize a separate flight to B but it was far from home base to A but not far from A to B and they had spare time on the plane at A, so they added a short connecting flight from A to B, and thus now had service from their home base to both A and B, at not much more than the cost of just serving A. For example, AA did this to Montevideo, Uruguay, as an extension of one Buenos Aires, Argentina, flight from the USA.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 21, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't know where these communities are, but some possibilities which perhaps PenAir didn't consider:
  • Less frequent flights
  • "Roundup" flights -- ie, a flght which goes to small airport A and small airport B and small airport C before going to its final destination. Then as long as the sum of the traffic to airport A, B, and C is enough to make it work, it may work better than separate flights for each of those small airports.
But it depends a lot on where these unsubsidized airports are, and whether it's practical to combine their flights with flights to other airports (unsubsidized or subsidized).

I've seen examples of this in international flights by some legacies, who couldn't afford to subsidize a separate flight to B but it was far from home base to A but not far from A to B and they had spare time on the plane at A, so they added a short connecting flight from A to B, and thus now had service from their home base to both A and B, at not much more than the cost of just serving A. For example, AA did this to Montevideo, Uruguay, as an extension of one Buenos Aires, Argentina, flight from the USA.
This happens on quite a few flights.

WX plays a very difficult role in operations to a significant part of the KS system.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
A self-inflicted wound. Danny S. said some nasty things to the pilot group 2 years ago and they lost ALOT all at once -they gave him a big F-U. Also the Saab 2000 additions haven't panned out like they expected; its an expensive airplane. The pilot shortage is why KS had to trim operations everywhere and its cost them dearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.