Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why dont I get comp upgrades out of SFO as 75K

Why dont I get comp upgrades out of SFO as 75K

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
2 hours seems to be the final dump for the VX metal flights.

AS metal flights seem to release a lot more U ahead of time.

I've been on off-timed lightly loaded VX flights with the same scenario (make us sweat it out until the 2 hour mark, dump the cabin for upgrades, and fly with empties or non-revs up front since there are no or few other Elites).

In the end it looks like RM incompetence (or best case, unfamiliarity with the loads at given times). At the same time, as a SFO-based customer, if I'm going to pay for F, I'm going to pay for VX metal. So I can see the rationale in holding so much VX metal back.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
There is a pretty well known glitch in Alaska's system where upgrades on pmVX metal clear, but only halfway. The person gets upgraded but not rechecked in. They end up on the "awaiting seats" list and usually have to be checked in again at the gate. Depending on route (sfo-sea) this may be what you are seeing as the problem is more likely to show up on elite heavy routes. That or late check ins that have higher fare class or agents clearing nonrevs first. Really the only way to know is booking full fare Y, checking in right at 24 hours, and seeing if anyone under you gets the upgrade.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brettsir
There is a pretty well known glitch in Alaska's system where upgrades on pmVX metal clear, but only halfway. The person gets upgraded but not rechecked in. They end up on the "awaiting seats" list and usually have to be checked in again at the gate. Depending on route (sfo-sea) this may be what you are seeing as the problem is more likely to show up on elite heavy routes. That or late check ins that have higher fare class or agents clearing nonrevs first. Really the only way to know is booking full fare Y, checking in right at 24 hours, and seeing if anyone under you gets the upgrade.
You would be behind anyone who purchased an eligible fare before you, even if a lower Status. A MVP who bought a Y or S fare the day before you is already on the waitlist, not in the MVP upgrate request queue, as a result of purchasing the eligible fare.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.