Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Credit When Voluntarily Downgrading?

Old Aug 14, 18, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Marriott

We were recently running late for a flight due to insane traffic (our 1.5 hr drive took 3 hrs), and we missed the luggage check-in deadline. We couldn't get on our flight since we didn't want to leave without our luggage. Our bad, not Alaska's. They were able to change us to a later flight that day for a change fee. My question is since our original ticket was P class, do we get miles for the ticket class paid (P) or the ticket class flown (Y, no P available on the next flight)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I believe P is discounted first class while Y is full fare coach. P credits at 175% while Y credits at 150%. I believe you would get the credit for Y class as that is what you actually flew and the change was necessary because of your error.
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'd be interested to know how this posts. I've had times where I booked V/T/R/100%-earning fares, but was moved to Y space due to irrops or schedule changes, but had the miles post at 100%, based on fare bucked booked, not flown. If I were to bet, I'd bet you get the 175%, just based on that experience, but I also see the logic behind only getting 150% because it was on you. If it credits at 150%, I could also see this being the kind of thing that might be able to be appealed once it posts by calling the Mileage Plan customer service line (not reservations).
Old Aug 14, 18, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by CalanMan View Post
I'd be interested to know how this posts. I've had times where I booked V/T/R/100%-earning fares, but was moved to Y space due to irrops or schedule changes, but had the miles post at 100%, based on fare bucked booked, not flown. If I were to bet, I'd bet you get the 175%, just based on that experience, but I also see the logic behind only getting 150% because it was on you. If it credits at 150%, I could also see this being the kind of thing that might be able to be appealed once it posts by calling the Mileage Plan customer service line (not reservations).
the likelihood of success is probably directly related to one’s Mileage Plan status
pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 7:18 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
No flat tire rule, they charged you? Did they offer standby for free?
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:24 pm

Programs: BonVoy Au, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
By change fee, did you mean the SDC fee or the $125 change/cancellation fee? If the first, it should be based on the booked & paid fare class, though you may need to follow up with customer care after posting. If the second, the value of your original ticket is applied to a new one and the new fare class would prevail. Unless the value of the old and new tickets was exactly the same, you'd normally be charged the difference or entitled to a refund.
Old Aug 15, 18, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
By change fee, did you mean the SDC fee or the $125 change/cancellation fee? If the first, it should be based on the booked & paid fare class, though you may need to follow up with customer care after posting. If the second, the value of your original ticket is applied to a new one and the new fare class would prevail. Unless the value of the old and new tickets was exactly the same, you'd normally be charged the difference or entitled to a refund.
Thanks for this. We paid the SDC fee, and it was exactly as you said. We were initially credited with Y fare miles, but customer care was able to quickly adjust it to the paid P fare bonus miles.
rustykettel and missamo80 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: