FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Somehow wound up in Premium Class but am being forced to pay to change my seat? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1925209-somehow-wound-up-premium-class-but-am-being-forced-pay-change-my-seat.html)

Eurynom0s Aug 14, 18 2:22 pm

Somehow wound up in Premium Class but am being forced to pay to change my seat?

I have an upcoming trip that's LAX-SFO-BOS and then LAX-BOS, all three on A320s going off the seating arrangments. I'd like to change my seat on the LAX-SFO fromm 11D to 4D but I can't because it wants me to cough up $99 for my 9F seat assignment on the SFO-BOS leg. And then if I'm going to have to call about this anyhow I figure I may as well see if they can swap me from 9F to 10F. But if I call, are they likely to "fix" the issue by moving me back from Premium Class to regular economy on the SFO-BOS leg, or is the worst case scenario that they can only adjust my seat on the LAX-SFO segment (or that they will let me end the call without changing anything but won't be able to change the LAX-SFO segment without taking me out of Premium Class on the SFO-BOS segment)?

Also I don't think this is about them upping me to make room for someone else in economy because most of the seats are still unassigned. There was an itinerary change so I'm thinking what I probably kept my seat number despite a change from a A321 or a Boeing plane to an A320? From what I recall about the Boeing configurations rows 11 and 9 sound right for being right behind Premium Class.

P.S. I'm new to FlyerTalk so apologies if there's a questions thread where this should have gone instead.

jk88usa Aug 14, 18 2:50 pm

I would highly advise not calling... it sounds like because of AC swap you got a free upgrade to Premium on a Transcon but want to change your seat on a 50 minute flight? Not worth it in my opinion.

I had this happen twice when I was MVP last year and I just didn't say anything and kept my Premium seat assignment once it changed over, would be the better approach to keep that legroom on a Transcon if you can.

Now if you can move yourself to the exit rows on both flights... maybe that would work? Just as much legroom and you control your assignments at that point.

Eurynom0s Aug 14, 18 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by jk88usa (Post 30082778)
I would highly advise not calling... it sounds like because of AC swap you got a free upgrade to Premium on a Transcon but want to change your seat on a 50 minute flight? Not worth it in my opinion.

I had this happen twice when I was MVP last year and I just didn't say anything and kept my Premium seat assignment once it changed over, would be the better approach to keep that legroom on a Transcon if you can.

Now if you can move yourself to the exit rows on both flights... maybe that would work? Just as much legroom and you control your assignments at that point.

For LAX-SFO I want to be farther forward to get off the plane quicker for the connection (want to make sure I'm there for group B since I just do a carry-on). As for giving up the Premium Class on the SFO-BOS flight, this is just a personal preference edge case. It's a redeye and 9F has zero recline due to the exit row behind it (I don't lean all the way back but I don't like being completely bolt upright either), so upon seeing my seat assignment I found myself debating if I wouldn't prefer the ability to recline slightly in 4F to the legroom in 9F if I can't get 10F since I'll be popping an Ambien and passing out as soon as the flight begins takeoff. So I thought I'd see what people think is likely to happen before doing anything.

Now for a daytime flight this wouldn't be a question though, I'd definitely just keep my mouth shut and keep the seat. :p

sturges Aug 14, 18 4:00 pm

Try changing it in the app. The mobile app allows you to change your seat on an individual flight without affecting others. Not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try.

Dawgshouse Aug 14, 18 8:52 pm

I got upgraded to premium on an aircraft swap from a 739 to an A320. I am MVPG but the fare class is R. I called and the representative moved me to another premium class row and seat no problem.

Eurynom0s Aug 15, 18 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sturges (Post 30083022)
Try changing it in the app. The mobile app allows you to change your seat on an individual flight without affecting others. Not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try.

I tried to respond to this yesterday but apparently as a new user I had to wait 24 hours after making 5 posts yesterday. I gave that a shot and I was indeed able to change my seat on the LAX-SFO leg. Thanks so much for the suggestion!