Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What did VX do for a lounge at SFO before AS acquired them? Was this one of the airports where their solution was to just let you buy access to the VS Clubhouse?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
What did VX do for a lounge at SFO before AS acquired them? Was this one of the airports where their solution was to just let you buy access to the VS Clubhouse?
It was, and if one had 2 hours+ to kill when they were open, it was the best $40 I've ever spent, several times.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by lazytom
Maybe they'll do something in the old ATC Tower Building:
https://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/air...-control-tower
And interestingly, that's exactly what the VP of Marketing and the CCO of AS said in March of 2017.

It wouldn't surprise me that both parties are weighing whether it makes more sense to build out the tower space, or just wait for the AC to become available in 2020. I'd think the airport commission would find the concession space (what would formerly be the AC) much more valuable to them than a lease for an AL.

https://travelskills.com/2017/03/22/...irgin-america/
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:23 pm

Saw this headline and was hopeful for something in T2, but no. T3 gets two PP restaurants in addition to the Centurion Lounge. Still nada for T2.

Priority Pass Adds Two Restaurants At SFO - https://onemileatatime.com/priority-...estaurant-sfo/
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Saw this headline and was hopeful for something in T2, but no. T3 gets two PP restaurants in addition to the Centurion Lounge. Still nada for T2.

Priority Pass Adds Two Restaurants At SFO - https://onemileatatime.com/priority-...estaurant-sfo/
I don't know the full economics of the PP restaurant angle, but usually from my perspective when I've used it, it's for restaurants that want to drive extra business where maybe they aren't getting it. T2 has a lot of good options for food and very few sitdown places, not that it is necessary for PP. But it seems more so that maybe the places in T2 don't need to drive extra business through the perk and are doing just fine? Trust me, I'd love places in T2 to have it. But maybe we should really yell at SFO for having no way to airside transfer between terminals in this day in age.
ucdtim17 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by safari ari
But maybe we should really yell at SFO for having no way to airside transfer between terminals in this day in age.
THIS! How hard is it to build a hallway?
notquiteaff and DrAlex like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by zymm
THIS! How hard is it to build a hallway?
Probably a bit harder than building a hallway at your home, or between two office buildings considering there are additional security issues and you've got an active airport surrounding you, but yes, it would certainly be nice to have all the terminals connect at SFO, especially given how crazy the TSA lines can get.
kevincrumbs and zymm like this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Probably a bit harder than building a hallway at your home, or between two office buildings considering there are additional security issues and you've got an active airport surrounding you, but yes, it would certainly be nice to have all the terminals connect at SFO, especially given how crazy the TSA lines can get.
An easier solution would be busing people across from T2 to T3. I think the more ridiculous part is that the A and G parts of the international are not connected. Basically hoping people traveling to/from foreign places understand it is not one big intl terminal. But, then again LAX made a huge connection between T5 and TBIT, which is amazing, or did tunnels, it is doable.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
I think the more ridiculous part is that the A and G parts of the international are not connected.
What would be the purpose of connecting A & G? Very few people will be transiting from one international flight to another, and the international terminal layout would force them to clear customs and immigration anyway. The most common connection involving international flights is surely intl UA/*A flights (mostly G) to domestic UA in Terminal 3. Those two are connected airside.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
What would be the purpose of connecting A & G?
What's the purpose of connecting any terminal? Since no domestic airlines are partners anymore, all people should be O/D, yet you see people complaining for airside access. You easily have interline airlines flying from the different terminals, I have never seen a "single" terminal split in that way, let alone an international one. Also, even though it is an international terminal, AS, Jetblue, Hawaiian fly out of A, so you could easily be going D-D or D-I, well not easily, you'd have to clear security again.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by milypan
What would be the purpose of connecting A & G? Very few people will be transiting from one international flight to another, and the international terminal layout would force them to clear customs and immigration anyway. The most common connection involving international flights is surely intl UA/*A flights (mostly G) to domestic UA in Terminal 3. Those two are connected airside.
You also have (most if not) all of Skyteam and Oneworld connecting from 2 and 1 to Int'l A, as well as the same for (most) AS int'l partners.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Terminal 1 and Int'l Area A should be connected airside once the T1 construction is finished.
The long term planning also includes airside connectors between T2-T3 and even Int'l A - Int'l G
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have never seen a "single" terminal split in that way, let alone an international one.
While I agree with you that gate area connections behind security are very desirable, I think your complaint here is only because they named it "the new International Terminal" with gate areas A and G, instead of just calling it Terminal A and Terminal G.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
While I agree with you that gate area connections behind security are very desirable, I think your complaint here is only because they named it "the new International Terminal" with gate areas A and G, instead of just calling it Terminal A and Terminal G.
Indeed, the distinction between "terminals" and "concourses" in this case is almost entirely arbitrary. It also looks like a far harder engineering problem, with less upside, to connect A & G than to connect 2 & 3.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I had my first real connection at SFO today on AS. We were supposed to arrive to a bus gate, but ended up at A2. Having not connected here before was very surprised there's not at least an airside bus or something connecting the terminals. (Outgoing flight is T2).

I was able to use the AF/KLM lounge in A before connecting though, so that's a good thing. Officially the Priority Pass website mentions an international boarding pass, but nothing was mentioned to me when showing my SFO-LAS boarding pass.

I guess if I had more time I'd go over to T3 and use Amex or maybe one of the new PP restaurants there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.