Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I’m not quite sure myself either actually, but I was probably wondering whether the lounge being the first at the terminal would have an impact on the decision whether to include PPs. I guess it could depend how badly you want customers, but unfortunately I suspect the lounge could get crowded easily by Alaska club members and first class passengers, so what’s a PP to do?

In some locations, access has been restricted to some hours of the day and sometimes it’s discretionary. Maybe bringing in just one guest or even zero could be better or say having an Alaska Visa. Or how about if you have double PP coverage. I also wouldn’t object to making access mandatory for bay area residents! Who knows how all of this will be turn out.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I’m not quite sure myself either actually, but I was probably wondering whether the lounge being the first at the terminal would have an impact on the decision whether to include PPs. I guess it could depend how badly you want customers, but unfortunately I suspect the lounge could get crowded easily by Alaska club members and first class passengers, so what’s a PP to do?

In some locations, access has been restricted to some hours of the day and sometimes it’s discretionary. Maybe bringing in just one guest or even zero could be better or say having an Alaska Visa. Or how about if you have double PP coverage. I also wouldn’t object to making access mandatory for bay area residents! Who knows how all of this will be turn out.
I don't know why PP prioritized two restaurants in T3 before any in the other terminals. Nice deal for UA flyers - Centurion plus two restaurants if you want variety while most other terminals get squat.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I don't know why PP prioritized two restaurants in T3 before any in the other terminals. Nice deal for UA flyers - Centurion plus two restaurants if you want variety while most other terminals get squat.
It gets even stranger. There are post-security connectors at SFO between T1 and T2 (edited for typo) and between T3 and Intnl. The latter two have PP, the former two don’t, so the Alaska lounge will be flooded by PP from T1 as well.

Last edited by vanillabean; Mar 25, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are post-security connectors at SFO between T2 and T3 and between T3 and Intnl.
There is no airside connection between T2 and T3.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
the lounge being the first at the terminal would have an impact on the decision whether to include PPs.
I assume you mean first lounge that still participates in PP, because AA has a lounge in T2 currently, which AS lounge members are not allowed within the entire AC network. Also, regarding the 2 PP restaurants in T3, it most likely came down to the ability of PP to get a deal with them that fits within their normal restaurant contracts. Usually these places allow PP to make up for slow times that they would usually not get revenue. There is a reason well known chains(bar PF Changs in LAX)/places don't participate, they don't need the extra revenue. Which is probably why T2 doesn't have such a partnership with PP and two places in T3 do.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Has AS mentioned if they plan to continue the CX agreement for flights operating out of the Int'l Terminal? Assuming AS isn't going to consolidate all their flights to T2...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Has AS mentioned if they plan to continue the CX agreement for flights operating out of the Int'l Terminal? Assuming AS isn't going to consolidate all their flights to T2...
Checking today's flights on the SFO website and it looks like everything has been consolidated into T2 now. I have yet to have the misfortune of flying on an E175 flight boarding from the remote hardstands, but AFAIK the buses depart from the lower level of T2.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by sutrosam
Checking today's flights on the SFO website and it looks like everything has been consolidated into T2 now.
Last I checked, AS was still using International Terminal A for international arrivals, but not for any departures.

Though, all the language on their website and in their emails still warns that some flights may depart out of Terminal A. Not sure if they're just being slow to update their website, or if they want to reserve the possibility to shift departures back into A in the near future.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:07 am

As 2020 is around the corner, are there any updates/rumors on when the lounge will open and whether PP members have access?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:23 pm

What im worried about is Admirals Club members not being allowed since Alaska Club members are not allowed in SFO Admirals Club.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
What im worried about is Admirals Club members not being allowed since Alaska Club members are not allowed in SFO Admirals Club.
Which terminal is American moving to? If it's not T1, then there isn't much chance of many AC members showing up in T2.

I don't know who pissed off who regarding the lounge at SFO, but there may be a grudge there as well.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Which terminal is American moving to? If it's not T1, then there isn't much chance of many AC members showing up in T2.

I don't know who pissed off who regarding the lounge at SFO, but there may be a grudge there as well.
It is Terminal 1 but within the next couple of years all of the SFO terminals will be connected airside anyways.

I doubt it was a pissing match. With AS moving into T2, existing VX flights becoming AS, and flights expanding (then), AA probably just didn't want their lounge overrun by AS pax.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I thought the SFO AC was newly renovated and had showers. Why would an AC member care about access to the AS lounge?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I thought the SFO AC was newly renovated and had showers. Why would an AC member care about access to the AS lounge?
Once AA moves out, the AC will be shut down and converted to retail space. AC members flying AS would still want a lounge to access that is close to departures even with full airside accessibility to where AA goes.

James
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Once AA moves out, the AC will be shut down and converted to retail space. AC members flying AS would still want a lounge to access that is close to departures even with full airside accessibility to where AA goes.

James
I see. Good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.