Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
For further reference, the forthcoming SEA lounge is 15,800 sq ft.

Obviously, Alaska has many more flights out of SEA than SFO. I'd guess 3x-4x more? Then again, Alaska has more than one lounge at SEA.

I searched for a source on # of daily AS flights from each airport but couldn't find that. If anyone has that, please post.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison

Obviously, Alaska has many more flights out of SEA than SFO. I'd guess 3x-4x more? Then again, Alaska has more than one lounge at SEA.

I searched for a source on # of daily AS flights from each airport but couldn't find that. If anyone has that, please post.
Daily Departures (as of Investor Day 2018)

SEA 298
PDX 129
LAX 115
SFO 86

http://investor.alaskaair.com/static...a-452723220c5b
jjmadison likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:27 pm

By way of comparison, the Pentagon, then one of the largest office buildings in the world, took 16 months to build. So, Alaska's lounge at SFO is on just about the same time table!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jjmadison

The relevant metric is passengers. Last year AS + QX handled 21.5 million at SEA and 4.7 million at SFO (AS only; QX should be rounding error there), so about 4.5x more. My guess is that the ratio of frequent fliers (SEA:SFO) would be even higher since AS has a dominant position at SEA and a not dominant position (to put it kindly) at SFO. But doesn't SEA have multiple AS lounges? Nevertheless, it seems unlikely that the square footage of all of them combined will exceed 38,000 sq ft.
jjmadison and williwaw like this.

Last edited by milypan; Feb 20, 2019 at 4:02 pm Reason: Updated AS numbers to include QX
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by milypan
My guess is that the ratio of frequent fliers (SEA:SFO) would be even higher since AS has a dominant position at SEA and a not dominant position (to put it kindly) at SFO.
This is key - the SEA demand is very different.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bbison
I'm sitting in a 9K square foot warehouse as I type this, it's bigger than all 3 T3 SFO United Clubs combined.
lol no chance. The tiny E Concourse club is over 6k. I couldn't find numbers for the rotunda club but it's easily 12k.

An apt comparison would be Centurion lounge SFO at 8200 sq. ft. And it's pretty constantly packed.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Glass half full, folks. Besides, the Too Full for PP sign is already on order. You don't want that to be a wasted expense, do you?
Might need to check the return policy on that sign.

Judson said that it has yet to be determined if the SFO lounge will become part of the Priority Pass lounge network.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
If it does become part of PP, then it will be the only PP service in the Terminal 1 & 2 secure area, and will likely be packed at all times. It seems strange that PP has 2 restaurants in the same terminal - 3 - and none at all in 1 & 2. You could guess that they're trying to work something out to fill this gap. And if there are other PP choices available, then maybe Alaska will allow this new lounge to be part of the program too.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by tom911
The Admiral's Club at SFO is just over 9,400 square feet.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...119344329.html
Huh fascinating. The current Admirals Club is *bigger* than the new AS Lounge? That's the exact opposite of what Alex Judson (as quoted by Chris McGinnis) claimed in SFGate (though he did not back up his claim with hard data):
Judson said that the Admirals Club space is not large enough to accomodate the 500 or so guests expected at the Alaska Lounge each day.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Huh fascinating. The current Admirals Club is *bigger* than the new AS Lounge? That's the exact opposite of what Alex Judson (as quoted by Chris McGinnis) claimed in SFGate (though he did not back up his claim with hard data):
Could be the entire lounge footprint, not just the customer seating area, including things like showers and the conference room in the AC.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Could be the entire lounge footprint, not just the customer seating area, including things like showers and the conference room in the AC.
The SFO AC showers are just heavenly when I'm connecting from Asia.
Manoa Chris likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
He could be saying that the Admiral's Club is not big enough to handle the 500 incremental guests that the AS lounge will be able to serve. There are currently many people flying AS who are entitled to lounge access if there was an AS lounge, but currently wouldn't fit in the Admiral's Club.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
He could be saying that the Admiral's Club is not big enough to handle the 500 incremental guests that the AS lounge will be able to serve. There are currently many people flying AS who are entitled to lounge access if there was an AS lounge, but currently wouldn't fit in the Admiral's Club.
Quite possibly, but the context immediately before ("its Admirals Club lounge will likely convert into more food, beverage and retail outlets") and after ("And it's not nearly as dramatic!") led me to read that statement as a justification for why AS picked a new location for their lounge (namely, AC space is too small), instead of renovating the existing AC space into an AS lounge.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Are there any updates to the mentioned article? I don't see any PP lounges at terminal 2 at this time.

"Judson said that it has yet to be determined if the SFO lounge will become part of the Priority Pass lounge network."

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...O-13625879.php
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Are there any updates to the mentioned article? I don't see any PP lounges at terminal 2 at this time.

"Judson said that it has yet to be determined if the SFO lounge will become part of the Priority Pass lounge network."

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...O-13625879.php
I don't understand the inquiry, are you asking if the yet to be built lounge is part of priority pass, or if the construction of the lounge has yet to start? Either way nothing has changed or, most likely, will change for the foreseeable future until the lounge is within weeks of completion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.