Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I know it probably wont happen, but it would be nice if AS could work a partnership with Delta for lounge access at the new airport in SLC.

Flew through there yesterday, and the new terminal looked great.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brentyb
I know it probably wont happen, but it would be nice if AS could work a partnership with Delta for lounge access at the new airport in SLC.
I fixed it for you.
jjmadison, NoLaGent and mfolf like this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:41 pm

Has there been any updates in the last 2 months in terms of a new opening time frame?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
Has there been any updates in the last 2 months in terms of a new opening time frame?
I haven't heard anything, but the new 'diggs' & the outdoor observation deck are looking nice.

James
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The observation desk was open back in February. I posted photos of it HERE.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
The observation desk was open back in February. I posted photos of it HERE.
A few more birds around there then. Only 2 E175 in Terminal 2 yesterday at 3:00 pm. We pushed back early, had a quick taxi and departure on 1N with no holds. It is a little eerie when there are more staff in/around the terminal than passengers.

James
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I haven't heard anything, but the new 'diggs' & the outdoor observation deck are looking nice.

James
It's been nearly over a year and I'm still not used to seeing a control tower there anymore.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
Nothing official, no. Given that they did a full stop in late March with construction, they're at least 6 months behind schedule, and that will likely continue to grow. I wouldn't be surprised by Q3 of 2021 or later.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Nothing official, no. Given that they did a full stop in late March with construction, they're at least 6 months behind schedule, and that will likely continue to grow. I wouldn't be surprised by Q3 of 2021 or later.
So, very likely, after my current Gold status lapses at end of 2021 and after One World program changes.

Yay...
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:30 pm

Alaska Airlines told SFGATE that it has pushed plans for a new lounge on the roof of Terminal 2, originally scheduled to open in October 2020, into 2021, due to COVID-19 related delays.
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...b-15566724.php
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt this lounge will open anytime soon....certainly not 2021. AS needs to conserve cash and frankly SFO isn't the additional "hub" city that it was looking like back in the days of the VX merger.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:54 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question since I'm not a regular AS flyer - does alaska offer their first class passengers access to another lounge in the absence of the SFO option? Or is the ability to go to AA lounges just for elite members?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Alex Huerta
Sorry if this is a dumb question since I'm not a regular AS flyer - does alaska offer their first class passengers access to another lounge in the absence of the SFO option? Or is the ability to go to AA lounges just for elite members?
Access to AA/Partner lounges is only through the lounge membership. No Alaska Lounge in airport? No dice for First Class.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt this lounge will open anytime soon....certainly not 2021. AS needs to conserve cash and frankly SFO isn't the additional "hub" city that it was looking like back in the days of the VX merger.
This is why I'm still convinced this will likely be cancelled and forgotten like the JFK lounge and SFO dehubbed. I question how effective Alaska will be beyond a now-bloated niche leisure carrier since their west coast "bread and butter" was tech-based business travel that's now abandoning the west coast in droves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lounges in general are gone along with first class in the next few years and AS adopts an Allegiant model in regards to scheduling and service.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mfolf
This is why I'm still convinced this will likely be cancelled and forgotten like the JFK lounge and SFO dehubbed.
I'm really curious what stage of construction (they have started construction, right?) the lounge is in. I'm guessing any final decision will come down to what's in the contract language with the airport. They're not going to want to have that space vacant if there's monthly revenue in play for leasing the space. Also, is the airport contributing anything to construction costs?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tom911
They're not going to want to have that space vacant if there's monthly revenue in play for leasing the space.
That may still be their lowest cost option. A lounge won't generate much if any revenue to offset the operating costs.

Many businesses are currently paying for leased space that sits totally empty. That's simply a phenomenon of the times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.