Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why would there be? TSA doesn't handle security at SFO.
They don't provide the boots on the ground but they set the policy and oversee it, and it's ultimately up to them to decide who will be allowed airside.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to continue renting the CX lounge and build a connector between T2 and Intl A? Maybe they should shoot for that at this point.
Originally Posted by tom911
Certainly not cheaper for the airport and I don't see Alaska footing the construction bill. A project like that could run into the tens of millions of dollars and would have to run through T1, which is being rebuilt right now, to get to the A terminal, all in the secure area.
That T1 rebuild also includes a sterile connection to IT-A, so it would cost Alaska nothing to have a connector between T2 and IT-A since.... it's already being constructed.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
That T1 rebuild also includes a sterile connection to IT-A, so it would cost Alaska nothing to have a connector between T2 and IT-A since.... it's already being constructed.
The point already made is that the T2 lounge space will be available in 2020. The T1-IT-A connector is in the last phase of that construction and won't be done until 2022. There's already a sterile connection btwn T2-T1 (I had an LAX flight changed to gate 47 a couple of weeks ago, so made the walk), but until T1-IT-A is done, it's really a moot point.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Well, if Alaska decides not to build its own lounge in T2 in 2020, and if the Cathay arrangement still exists in 2022, we can all trek over to International A. Not sure that would be enough incentive for me to purchase a membership (an agent at LAX tried to sell me a membership last week and mentioned the access to the Cathay lounge at SFO, but she had no clue on the current logistics to get to it). Give me a lounge in T2 and I'll buy a membership (had one with AA for most of my 17 years with them).

Given the choice of trekking over to international to use a lounge for 30 mins before departure, I'd much rather stay put in T2 at an Alaska lounge. If you make it so easy to get into the Cathay lounge, similar to how the AA lounge access was at SFO at one time for Alaska (but nox VX) flyers, particularly during peak departure periods, wouldn't be surprised if they curtail or restrict access during late morning and late evening hours. I'll grant you it's a nice lounge (was in in there three weeks ago on the way to Australia with Qantas), but just not so sure they could handle a bunch of Alaska members at the same time they're dealing with Cathay and Qantas flights. Look at how Priority Pass impacted the Alaska lounges in Seattle, to the point they curtailed access. You just have to look ahead and wonder if the Cathay lounge becomes the primary lounge for Alaska flyers at SFO, with easy access through the secure areas in 2022, if we could see something similar there to prevent overcrowding.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by tom911
similar to how the AA lounge access was at SFO at one time for Alaska (but nox VX) flyers
My understanding is that the very lovely AA lounge at SFO will be removed when AA moves terminals. I really don't see why they can't just change signs and make it an AS Club.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:27 pm

In the end it all comes down to dollars - can the airport make more revenue off a lounge compared to a new vendor (restaurant, bar, cafe, shop) in the same space. If you put a restaurant in that space with prime frontage real estate with liquor sales, likely they'll make more money off that than a fixed yearly payment for a lounge. If you look at the Napa Farms Market and the few restaurants/food vendors they do have, they seem to be doing pretty good business, and I can see the airport wanting to increase its revenue. Now, whether Alaska will be willing to pay enough money to counter what the airport would make off a restaurant, we'll have to see, but rents above the terminal in the new office space will surely be cheaper than rents along the main corridor in the terminal.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:34 am

5 reasons you’ll love our new SFO lounge
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Chris McGinnis did a tour of the space, which will be on the 4th level of T2: Alaska SFO Lounge

Planned for 2020 opening. 8500 square feet, which seems pretty obviously too small.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Glad to finally see a confirmed space at SFO, but its a shame its so far away. Hopefully its early 2020.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Chris McGinnis did a tour of the space, which will be on the 4th level of T2: Alaska SFO Lounge

Planned for 2020 opening. 8500 square feet, which seems pretty obviously too small.
8500 doesn't seem that small. How big is the Admirals Club in T2, which I've always found a seat in? I'm sitting in a 9K square foot warehouse as I type this, it's bigger than all 3 T3 SFO United Clubs combined.

Now if it were LAX sized, then I'd be worried.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

For reference, the old DFW Centurion Lounge was 9,000 sq. ft.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by bbison
8500 doesn't seem that small. How big is the Admirals Club in T2, which I've always found a seat in? I'm sitting in a 9K square foot warehouse as I type this, it's bigger than all 3 T3 SFO United Clubs combined.
The Admiral's Club at SFO is just over 9,400 square feet.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...119344329.html
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This is such great news. It took over a year to become official but at least the end is in sight. It will certainly be so much nicer than the last AS Boardroom which was the size of a large closet.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
This is such great news. It took over a year to become official but at least the end is in sight. It will certainly be so much nicer than the last AS Boardroom which was the size of a large closet.
While it may be nicer, it won't have the sense of "home" that I enjoyed on many years' worth of visits with the same few concierge I got to know quite well, even keeping in touch with some after their retirements.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Glass half full, folks. Besides, the Too Full for PP sign is already on order. You don't want that to be a wasted expense, do you?

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Feb 20, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.