Finnair (AY) Award Availability

Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those look wider than what I had, though it's been 2 years so I might be mis-remembering. But he claims that they are 21 inches, which is the same width as the VX F seats were and I never had a width problem there.

Also... in the article be claims that he is 5'11 and his feet were hitting the back. I'm 6'2.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Intra-europe is even worse. "Business Class" is not even a different cabin. It's just the front few econ rows with no one in the middle seat. It's literally an economy seat.
You mean like literally every other European carrier???

I would take these comments on AY with a grain of salt, since they don't seem to reflect an accurate understanding of what the market offers in terms of competing options.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean like literally every other European carrier???

I would take these comments on AY with a grain of salt, since they don't seem to reflect an accurate understanding of what the market offers in terms of competing options.
Every other european carrier? IcelandAir certainly doesnt have this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Every other european carrier? IcelandAir certainly doesnt have this.
Not sure I would call Iceland "Europe." It's certainly not part of continental Europe, nor is it an EU member. (And btw, I'm not counting TK, either.)

In any event, the norm for eurobusiness is a Y seat with blocked middle. This is no reason to single out AY for negative commentary.
Kurt likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iceland is certainly Europe, despite being non-EU. It's part of shengen. More importantly, for the purposes of this discussion, it's one of 4 european AS partners and one of 6 partners that allows europe-US award travel. So, it's one of the options. And, the fact that they have "real" business seats within europe is relevant for people who can't get a direct flight.

FWIW, every single business class option (other than emirates, which is just a different class of service) is significantly fewer miles than Finnair. My whole point is that finnair is being priced like it's something better than AA / DE / FI and I just don't see it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by osotoc
Hi! My transcon is in Jan 2019! I'm very excited to try JFK-PDX; although, it was moved up from 1030 to 0720, which means an earlier arrival at JFK. :-(
I did fly AS F from DFW-SEA last month. It was a nice flight. I liked the entertainment tablets. Yeah, I had my iPhone with me, but I was happy to use their equipment.

I'm likely moving back to the US by the end of 2019 too. Not sure where, but hopefully it's an AS-served city. We shall see.
Until then, I have a CX flight next month, and then a few other AS partner flights the rest of 2019. Always be earning! haha.
Ha! I'm heading back to Bangkok now on EK in J...love that AS is "partners" with them!
I think I am going to land in Toronto next year, so won't have too many opportunities to fly AS if that happens...but looking forward to my J and F redemptions on CX for the holidays from BKK to the East Coast!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ralph4878
Ha! I'm heading back to Bangkok now on EK in J...love that AS is "partners" with them!
I think I am going to land in Toronto next year, so won't have too many opportunities to fly AS if that happens...but looking forward to my J and F redemptions on CX for the holidays from BKK to the East Coast!
Toronto should be nice. I've yet to visit there, but it's on my list when back in the US.
I had to move my AS transcontinental flight back a weekend. Work trip interfering.
Plus, the JFK-PDX flight moved up from 1030 to 0730 departure and that's not much time at all to check out the lounge.
I'm just going to change it to EWR and just make the late afternoon flight to the West Coast.

And speaking of EK, I just booked the BKK-HKG EK fifth freedom route for April. Figured I'd test it out and make a few extra AS miles too!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Toronto should be nice. I've yet to visit there, but it's on my list when back in the US.
I had to move my AS transcontinental flight back a weekend. Work trip interfering.
Plus, the JFK-PDX flight moved up from 1030 to 0730 departure and that's not much time at all to check out the lounge.
I'm just going to change it to EWR and just make the late afternoon flight to the West Coast.

And speaking of EK, I just booked the BKK-HKG EK fifth freedom route for April. Figured I'd test it out and make a few extra AS miles too!
Nice! Hope you enjoy the visit!
Sadly, I had to cancel my CX flights...managed to get to the States on AY - really liking them more and more...just wish the miles would post already so I can re-qualify for 75k.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by ralph4878
Nice! Hope you enjoy the visit!
Sadly, I had to cancel my CX flights...managed to get to the States on AY - really liking them more and more...just wish the miles would post already so I can re-qualify for 75k.
hope your miles posted. I make MVP Gold so no 75K this year. I did get a bit of ahead start for 2019 with the second half of my CX flight back from NRT counting for 2019.
I have one more CX flight scheduled this year, and then likely a AY in September. I think then I'll move over for SQ for a bit. I like to sample them all!

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
hope your miles posted. I make MVP Gold so no 75K this year. I did get a bit of ahead start for 2019 with the second half of my CX flight back from NRT counting for 2019.
I have one more CX flight scheduled this year, and then likely a AY in September. I think then I'll move over for SQ for a bit. I like to sample them all!

Happy New Year!
SQ is pretty poor for accruing Mileage Plan miles. I wasn't impressed with the soft product and the J hard product on the 777 is wierdly off centre and very uncomfortable. Bulkhead is much better but reserved for KrisFlyer Elites. I avoid SQ myself.

James
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
SQ is pretty poor for accruing Mileage Plan miles. I wasn't impressed with the soft product and the J hard product on the 777 is wierdly off centre and very uncomfortable. Bulkhead is much better but reserved for KrisFlyer Elites. I avoid SQ myself.

James
SQ accrual rates (in J) are better with Mileage Plan than with MileagePlus. So, I'm comfortable with how many redeemable miles I'll earn.
I recently sampled SQ A380 J, and I was concerned about the footwell placement. However, for me, it was surprisingly comfortable in the seated and reclined position. I was in a non-bulkhead seat
When I created the bed, the angled sleeping position was also surprisingly comfortable. I felt the head and shoulder space was roomy enough for me.
Plus, most of all, since the majority of the bed was a single mattress (not a seat with three separate pieces trying to lie-flat) it was very comfortable for my back.
I was very pleased with the SQ seat both in up and down position.
I'm eager to try it again.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:36 am

SQ accrual rates (in J) are better with Mileage Plan than with MileagePlus. So, I'm comfortable with how many redeemable miles I'll earn.
I recently sampled SQ A380 J, and I was concerned about the footwell placement. However, for me, it was surprisingly comfortable in the seated and reclined position. I was in a non-bulkhead seat
When I created the bed, the angled sleeping position was also surprisingly comfortable. I felt the head and shoulder space was roomy enough for me.
Plus, most of all, since the majority of the bed was a single mattress (not a seat with three separate pieces trying to lie-flat) it was very comfortable for my back.
I was very pleased with the SQ seat both in up and down position.
I'm eager to try it again.
Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience(s). I was on a daytime flight SIN-DXB 7h 40m. I never flipped the seat into a bed but did find the seat very uncomfortable especially when trying to stretch out my legs into the well. The tray table was at an awkward angle too. It felt like I was in a never-ending game of "Twister."

James
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My apologies for interrupting this SQ J seat comfort thread, but I’ll report back on AY BKK-HEL J on the A350 this summer. I suspect it will be comparable to other reverse herringbone J...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My apologies for interrupting this SQ J seat comfort thread, but Ill report back on AY BKK-HEL J on the A350 this summer. I suspect it will be comparable to other reverse herringbone J...
Please do!
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Please do!
The front section of J has no overhead bins in the center. This gives the cabin a very airy feel.
And the ice-blue lighting makes it feel like a very chic ice cave.

Enjoy!
eponymous_coward likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.