Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
The incident itself is covered here: Sea-Tac Horizon Air employee steals airplane, does stunts before crashing near Tacoma The errant pilot, Mr. Russell, apparently recognized he was in the midst of a crisis (From Theft of Aircraft in Seattle-Tacoma Raises Serious Security Questions): “I got a lot of people that care about me and it’s going to disappoint them to hear that I did this,” Mr. Russell said to air traffic controllers. “I would like to apologize to each and every one of them. Just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Never really knew it until now.”

from post #10:
KSEA tower audio of the aircraft on RWY 16C: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2018-0230Z.mp3 (begins around 3:40)
Print Wikipost

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
For those saying the plane should have been shot down, they either have no brain or a bloodlust. The guy was talking to ATC and was headed toward the water. He had no intention of hurting anyone.
This guy, yes. Another guy with equal access to aircraft and malicious intent? Different story. It's three or four minutes from SEA to the Columbia Tower or Safeco Field.

AAG got off easy here, tragically enough, owing to the employee's mostly benign mindset. Last time AS suffered a flight incident resulting in death -- AS261 nearly 19 years ago -- the subsequent probe exposed manifold maintenance shortcomings and resulted in massive overhauls of procedures, process, and oversight. AAG ought to be braced for similar blowback out of this incident, and big changes in ramp security, access-to-aircraft rules, and associated oversight.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
AAG got off easy here, tragically enough, owing to the employee's mostly benign mindset. Last time AS suffered a flight incident resulting in death -- AS261 nearly 19 years ago -- the subsequent probe exposed manifold maintenance shortcomings and resulted in massive overhauls of procedures, process, and oversight. AAG ought to be braced for similar blowback out of this incident, and big changes in ramp security, access-to-aircraft rules, and associated oversight.
Wow.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
This guy, yes. Another guy with equal access to aircraft and malicious intent? Different story. It's three or four minutes from SEA to the Columbia Tower or Safeco Field.

I would not expect big changes. How do you restrict access to aircraft from people who load bags and manage customers boarding the aircraft while still running the airline.

This was a terrible event, obviously this people needed help he did not receive but at the same time this is so hard to safeguard against.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fly18725
Wow.
Read:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/seatac...raper?ref=home
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:43 pm

How about some sort of two-factor authentication (2FA) before a plane can go at anything above 5-10 miles an hour? That way, the ground crew can if needed move a plane to/from a hangar, but doing a takeoff would require authentication solely from the pilot?
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Poorly written article. To start with the incident was not a hijacking.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by TA
It says so in the transcript of ATC talking to him.
Originally Posted by davistev
Because he stated exactly that during his conversation with ATC
Is there a link for that? None of the transcripts I have seen mention anything about pay.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cruss74
Is there a link for that? None of the transcripts I have seen mention anything about pay.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/11/u...b-russell.html

Rich: Ah minimum wage. We'll chalk it up to that. Maybe that will grease the gears a little bit with the higher-ups

Rich: Damnit Andrew, people's lives are at stake here.

Air traffic control: Ah Rich, don't say stuff like that.

Rich: I don't want to hurt anyone, I just want you to whisper sweet nothings into my ear.
State of Trance likes this.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Aug 11, 2018 at 10:06 pm
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by steve64
I know zilch about the military but suspect their systems are far more advanced than either you or I can imagine.
Actually, no. US AF ground stations often still use pen and board aircraft stacks for managing ATC. They are at least a decade behind commercial ATC. Certain strategic level systems and airborne platforms have all sorts of wizzbang active and automated extras, but the ground stations are pretty much in the 1970's in terms of track & control.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Do you have military experience in this exact situation? I am not aware of any examples you could cite on US in History, other than possible the 9/11 plane in PA which if it happened worked out well.
This guy was clearly suicidal, listen to the tapes, He was not following instructions, specifically not to attempt a barrel roll for instance. Sometimes you have to look at the possible outcomes....when none of them are good. The chances this guys would even try to land the aircraft and his ability to do so were in serious question. You want to try and guide him back to Sea-Tac with that poor of skills and so close to downtown seattle? What if he just goes off at the last minute? If he was over open water, I would have been fine if they shot him down.....in fact would have preferred it
Yes, clearly YOU would have preferred and been fine with shooting him down. I would not. I suspect we have quite different world-views that are behind those different opinions not simply a bare analysis of "possible outcomes".
BearX220 and notquiteaff like this.

Last edited by robsaw; Aug 11, 2018 at 11:10 pm Reason: clarify
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Do you have military experience in this exact situation? I am not aware of any examples you could cite on US in History, other than possible the 9/11 plane in PA which if it happened worked out well.
This guy was clearly suicidal, listen to the tapes, He was not following instructions, specifically not to attempt a barrel roll for instance. Sometimes you have to look at the possible outcomes....when none of them are good. The chances this guys would even try to land the aircraft and his ability to do so were in serious question. You want to try and guide him back to Sea-Tac with that poor of skills and so close to downtown seattle? What if he just goes off at the last minute? If he was over open water, I would have been fine if they shot him down.....in fact would have preferred it
Back in 1999, fighter jets were launched to intercept what turned out to be Payne Stewart’s jet after it veered off course and was non-responsive to ATC. From what I recall there were discussions about possibly having to shoot it down if the jet was looking like it would crash near populated areas. The jet ultimately crashed in a rural area of South Dakota so no decision was made to shoot it down.

But I’m glad the F-15s didn’t shoot it down. As noted, firing a 20mm cannon or Air-to-Air missiles over populated areas has severe risks associated with it. And while maybe it wasn’t a consideration at the time, I’m glad the F-15 pilots don’t have to live with the long term psychological effects of having shot down an airliner. There’s also the psychological effects of the local population witnessing an airliner being shot down by fighter jets too.
exerda and notquiteaff like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
How about some sort of two-factor authentication (2FA) before a plane can go at anything above 5-10 miles an hour? That way, the ground crew can if needed move a plane to/from a hangar, but doing a takeoff would require authentication solely from the pilot?
Well, imagine a scenario where a pilot is trying to do an inflight engine restart, but can’t because the aircraft is asking for a token, and his SecurID keyfob just went out of sync.

Not saying it’s impossible, but any such system must consider the risk of inadvertently locking out legit access.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by SouthernCross

Well, imagine a scenario where a pilot is trying to do an inflight engine restart, but can’t because the aircraft is asking for a token, and his SecurID keyfob just went out of sync.

Not saying it’s impossible, but any such system must consider the risk of inadvertently locking out legit access.
The standard for adding new equipment to the aircraft is exceptionally high with a near-zero standard for failure. Unless a systematic deficiency is identified, I have a hard time seeing the FAA requiring or supporting the investment (likely hundreds of millions) into certifying systems to limit certain employees from operating aircraft. If anything, airports and airlines will step up passive security and surveillance of parked aircraft.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AAG ought to be braced for similar blowback out of this incident, and big changes in ramp security, access-to-aircraft rules, and associated oversight.
Nah. Regrettably there are workplace suicides all the time - by mechanism this is just more spectacular than the rest. The FAA specs security - there will be nothing unique to AS nor SEA. They are unlikely to change medical screening - it's costly and not very reliable for this kind of thing. Responsible people won't try to tie this to workplace culture or wages & benefits. Like he said, he had a few screws loose.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by robsaw
Yes, clearly YOU would have preferred and been fine with shooting him down. I would not. I suspect we have quite different world-views that are behind those different opinions not simply a bare analysis of "possible outcomes".
Did we listen to the same ATC recordings? This guy was unstable at very best and suicidal. He did not have the skills to land this plane safely, he was ignoring instructions on many things....don't barrel roll, attempt to make a landing at the military base, make basic turns....he was not following any of them. He was flying at unsafe heights and not staying over water as instructed.
Exactly when were you going to be alright with him being shot down?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.