Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
The incident itself is covered here: Sea-Tac Horizon Air employee steals airplane, does stunts before crashing near Tacoma The errant pilot, Mr. Russell, apparently recognized he was in the midst of a crisis (From Theft of Aircraft in Seattle-Tacoma Raises Serious Security Questions): “I got a lot of people that care about me and it’s going to disappoint them to hear that I did this,” Mr. Russell said to air traffic controllers. “I would like to apologize to each and every one of them. Just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Never really knew it until now.”

from post #10:
KSEA tower audio of the aircraft on RWY 16C: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2018-0230Z.mp3 (begins around 3:40)
Print Wikipost

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by caliform
Holy hell, that video is insane. RIP. Terrible incident.

Interesting that the F15s rallied from PDX. Nothing closer available?
Not that interesting, all of the Pacific Northwest are under the responsibility of the fighters based out of PDX. This isn't the 30 minute Seattle Shuttle many here are used to. Those F-15's are capable of over 1,800 MPH.
essxjay and moondog like this.

Last edited by gobeavs8; Aug 11, 2018 at 5:58 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/horizon-air-aircraft/

AS blog now updated with statements from CEOs of both AS and QX. Also, of note, they have clarified that the employee was believed to be a ground services agent, not a mechanic.
One post on the AS Facebook page from some cargo employee at SEA said the guy who did it is responsible for parking planes for the night.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:48 am

Used to be that two cans of beer, and the emergency slide were all it took.

Heart goes out to all the Rich-es out there.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Aug 11, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Not that interesting, all of the Pacific Northwest are under the responsibility of the fighters based out of PDX. This isn't the 30 minute Seattle Shuttle many here are used to. Those F-15's are capable of over 1,800 MPH.
Any idea how fast they got there? Obviously not a drill and time is of the essence in a case like this. Any report of sonic booms yesterday?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17

Any idea how fast they got there? Obviously not a drill and time is of the essence in a case like this. Any report of sonic booms yesterday?
There were reports of sonic booms. Not sure on the exact arrival but from reports sounds like they were up there pretty fast.

Last edited by gobeavs8; Aug 11, 2018 at 8:45 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Anyone seen a flight track map posted?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
One post on the AS Facebook page from some cargo employee at SEA said the guy who did it is responsible for parking planes for the night.
You mean there is a plane "valet"? May I park your plane, here is your ticket....(apologies it isn't a time for jokes).

Just last month I was in a plane where the cockpit door was open and you could see everything the pilots where doing. Incredible, the movement and switches, absolutely incredible, like an orchestra.

I hope this young man finally found peace. And I really hope that no humans nor property (besides the plane) got damaged.

Now, who is responsible for the damage? Family, insurance....
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by makfan
I’m sure if I were an airline executive, I’d worry about a lot of things, but having a mechanic steal one of my aircraft for a fatal joyride wouldn’t be one of them.

If N449QX is correct, I flew at least two trips in it.
Ya, me too. This really has me thinking, other than trust what stops someone from taking an aircraft from maintenance area? I'm shocked he kept it in the air so long, and am happy no one else was hurt. That could have been really, really, really bad.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Why? I would actually prefer it was shot down. If they had it somewhere they could down over water or in a non populated area. We have no idea how crazy this person was, if they had the skills to do much more than take off and keep the plane in the air.....what if they let him stay in the air and he crashed into downtown Seattle.
I'd hope in a civilized society the adage of "ask questions first" still applies. I'm perfectly happy that the experts in such incidents have the skills and procedures to make fatal decisions only when necessary. Firing cannon shells or air-to-air missiles over a dense metropolitan area isn't exactly low-risk. Sorry, all too often I see these sorts "what if" and "we must do everything to prevent this from happening again" comments lack any comprehension of actual risk analysis.
SouthernCross and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:15 am

It's obviously possible for a mechanic or ground services worker to do this; it may even have been part of this individual's job to ferry planes around on the ground. But how in the heck did the tower not know something was amiss? I'd love to hear the recordings as he taxied out for takeoff and then took off.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Wow, this is something else.
Flying on Alaskan next Thursday, so a bit concerning.

Sounds like he was a baggage handler from DailyMail.

As far as flying, he either had been getting some informal training from some mechanics, or possibly had a realistic flight sim at home on computer.

I'm sure it will come out in the days to come.

Also, condolences to his wife, he was apparently married.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flytoeat
But how in the heck did the tower not know something was amiss? I'd love to hear the recordings as he taxied out for takeoff and then took off.
See post #10 upthread.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
See post #10 upthread.
Thank you. I wonder how often an unidentified plane gets into takeoff position, and if correct procedures were followed when they realized they had an unidentified plane?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Anyone seen a flight track map posted?
If the transponder wasn't switched on and there was no flight plan filed then the online flight tracker's have nothing to show.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by ucdtim17

I read several places it was around 4 min. And yes many reports of sonic booms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.