Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
The incident itself is covered here: Sea-Tac Horizon Air employee steals airplane, does stunts before crashing near Tacoma The errant pilot, Mr. Russell, apparently recognized he was in the midst of a crisis (From Theft of Aircraft in Seattle-Tacoma Raises Serious Security Questions): “I got a lot of people that care about me and it’s going to disappoint them to hear that I did this,” Mr. Russell said to air traffic controllers. “I would like to apologize to each and every one of them. Just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Never really knew it until now.”

from post #10:
KSEA tower audio of the aircraft on RWY 16C: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2018-0230Z.mp3 (begins around 3:40)
Print Wikipost

QX Q400 stolen by employee, crashed near SEA, no passengers onboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Did we listen to the same ATC recordings? This guy was unstable at very best and suicidal. He did not have the skills to land this plane safely, he was ignoring instructions on many things....don't barrel roll, attempt to make a landing at the military base, make basic turns....he was not following any of them. He was flying at unsafe heights and not staying over water as instructed.
Exactly when were you going to be alright with him being shot down?
They also didn't know if there was anyone else on the aircraft. What makes you think that you know better than the people who handled this situation?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bitterproffit

seems not a big leap to have ignition keys. I know the technology has existed since the 40s.
Do you really want to increase the workload on pilots when they are trying to restart an engine that failed after takeoff? We don't need any keys or passcodes screwing things up.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
How about using the keypad code lock on the cockpit door some airlines use?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Do you really want to increase the workload on pilots when they are trying to restart an engine that failed after takeoff? We don't need any keys or passcodes screwing things up.
Small general aviation aircraft have keys, there is no need to turn the key to restart the engine unless one wishes to only use one of the mags. If he was a mechanic he very likely would've had access to the keys anyway
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Small general aviation aircraft have keys, there is no need to turn the key to restart the engine unless one wishes to only use one of the mags. If he was a mechanic he very likely would've had access to the keys anyway
Most singles have keys but twins don't.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum

They also didn't know if there was anyone else on the aircraft. What makes you think that you know better than the people who handled this situation?
Answer the question, at what point would you personally be ok with them shooting it down.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Answer the question, at what point would you personally be ok with them shooting it down.
If he had turned the plane around and headed toward a populated area or if he wasn't talking to ATC.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
What's your role in NORAD or WADS or the DoD chain-of-command that you have authority on that decision or what insight do you have to the communications and discussion between the F-15s, NORAD, WADS, and senior military officials when such decisions were being made on whether to and when to shoot down the plane?
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond

What workload? I carry my remote in my pocket and my car starts when I push a button. This is really not ground breaking technology. It just seems to be.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

What workload? I carry my remote in my pocket and my car starts when I push a button. This is really not ground breaking technology. It just seems to be.

an engine failure immediately after takeoff is NOT just a “push a button” situation
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
When I was a college student, several of us were authorized to drive the campus van. We had to have a reference check and submit our licenses in order to be “on the list.”

We didn’t have to maintain the vans or fuel them, but were ocassionally authorized to take them out for school business. The authorizing department had to reserve the vehicle, but we had to go check out the key in order to drive them. And... we had to bring back the key when we were done. You can imagine the chaos if someone forgot to return the key.

Is this relevant? I don’t know. We only had 5 or 6 vans, that returned to the same campus each night. Even so, we had to have a system (and personnel) to control the keys. I can’t imagine key control for a fleet of aircraft that move around the country. It would likely require a single full-time employee at each airport and an extra 5-10 minutes of time on every pilot’s time sheet. Failure to return a key at the end of a shift could result in an entire plane of pax cooling their jets.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by twitch76; Aug 13, 2018 at 8:43 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: RFC
Retrofitting planes with a keyless remote like I have in my car would not be very difficult. Or a thumbprint. Or something. Clearly, the stakes are high enough to make this a priority.
What's the rate of incidence of stolen planes to cars again?

An awful lot of over reaction for a close-to-unique event. I look forward to people doing more about the rampant number of lightning striking people - it does, after all, occur far more often in the US than stolen plane events.
SOCguy and PV_Premier like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: RFC
I'm pretty certain that you've never had your car at 1500 feet, 245mph, and climbing just when the engine cuts out. Planes are a leeeetle more complex than your Camry. Well, commercial jets are. A Cessna 172 is far less complicated than your Camry. But those do often have keys, so the question is moot on that front.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by BearX220
AAG ought to be braced for similar blowback out of this incident, and big changes in ramp security, access-to-aircraft rules, and associated oversight.
"Do you want more security theater? 'Cause this is how you get more security theater!" - Sterling Archer (... paraphrased)
JamesBigglesworth likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:32 pm

Put this

on the yoke.

QED.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.