Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

LAX Alaska Lounge leaves much to be desired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Alaska Lounge leaves much to be desired

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Legend717
That's the exact machine I was talking about in my original post.
Had they at least refilled the options by the time you got there?
Because for me, it was pretty much Coke or Orange Coke.
Not even Diet Coke.. lol.

NOT that my life revolves around a Coke machine, mind you. Just that it was more spoiled icing on a store-bought, expired cake.
I didn't notice any outages. It had plenty of options. I was having pink lemonade.
Legend717 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
That's the exact machine I was talking about in my original post.
Had they at least refilled the options by the time you got there?
Because for me, it was pretty much Coke or Orange Coke.
Not even Diet Coke.. lol.

NOT that my life revolves around a Coke machine, mind you. Just that it was more spoiled icing on a store-bought, expired cake.
Ha... this is a brand new machine for the LAX BR. Perhaps they didn't get all the appropriate syrups stocked up yet?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by beckoa
Ha... this is a brand new machine for the LAX BR. Perhaps they didn't get all the appropriate syrups stocked up yet?
To anyone interested in vending machines and connected devices, the insides of a Freestyle machine are fascinating. Very complex.
mikeysf likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by dayone
To anyone interested in vending machines and connected devices, the insides of a Freestyle machine are fascinating. Very complex.
Indeed! The flavor cartridges are much much smaller than the old containers.

Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Artificially flavoured carbonated sugar water! Yum! Not! All that technology to dispenser poison! I know, to each their own! Possibly slightly better than using 6 cups of water to produce a 2 cup platic container to put it in.

James
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Artificially flavoured carbonated sugar water
I don't drink carbonated beverages, but Coca-Cola is carbonated water, high-fructose corn syrup (or sugar), caramel color, phosphoric acid, caffeine and natural flavors. Nothing artificial.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
I don't drink carbonated beverages, but Coca-Cola is carbonated water, high-fructose corn syrup (or sugar), caramel color, phosphoric acid, caffeine and natural flavors. Nothing artificial.
Caramel color, added to many soft drinks and some foods to turn them brown, may sound harmless, even appetizing. But in no way does it resemble real caramel. Some types of this artificial coloring contain a potentially carcinogenic chemical called 4-methylimidazole (4-MEL).

Drink away!

James
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Caramel color, added to many soft drinks and some foods to turn them brown, may sound harmless, even appetizing. But in no way does it resemble real caramel. Some types of this artificial coloring contain a potentially carcinogenic chemical called 4-methylimidazole (4-MEL).
From 2012: "[I]t is important to understand that a consumer would have to consume well over a thousand cans of soda a day to reach the doses administered in the studies that have shown links to cancer in rodents."

Even so, Coca-Cola and other soda producers switched to a low 4-MEI formulation of caramel coloring.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Indeed! The flavor cartridges are much much smaller than the old containers.
Crazy!

Thanks for sharing.

Now if only one could feature rum I know of at least one FTer who would be very pleased.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Crazy!
Now if only one could feature rum I know of at least one FTer who would be very pleased.
I don't recall ever mentioning to you what a rum-a-holic I am

It's not that I had "pain," per se, as much as it was the number of things that WEREN'T working, the general lack of plugs in most seating areas I could actually sit in, and the cashless bar thing.
And I didn't find it to be very much less chaotic than the terminal downstairs!
Also, there wasn't anyone staffing the bar, which I forgot to mention. When someone would walk up and stand there long enough, the front counter guy would walk over and help them.
As near as I could tell, the entire lounge was staffed by two individuals- the guy at the front counter in the summer camp counselor T-Shirt, and the woman who would walk around and collect dirty dishes.
While I've never considered the AS Lounge at LAX to be "high class, luxury" or anything, I've always enjoyed it. Yea, it can be crowded and the decor is a little worn, but I prefer spending my time here over the renovated T-4 Admiral's Club (with all the hard [noise bouncing] hard surfaces and overall "cold" AAttitude).
Granted, I try (and have always succeeded ... eventually) to get a seat along the window. Sometimes, this requires sitting at the "long shelf" table opposite the bar vs an individual table.
I have had to wait for bar service a minute or 2 while the attendant is in the back doing whatever. I've never had the check-in agent come over due to an absent bar agent (and don't see how the front desk would know, as they can't see the bar). I have seen the Agents rotate positions, so that the person who checked me in may later be the bar attendant. In my experiences, the personnel have always been great.
I have found the pancake machine to be not working once. I notified the bar attendant (who was roaming the food area doing a clean-up), she checked it and noted it was out of batter. Within a minute, a general service worker was filling it.
This AS lounge serves decent wine ... vs Sycamore Lane served at other AS clubs.
I appreciate cashless places as I don't carry cash except for tips. To each their own. I hate being forced to pull out my small bills to pay for something when there are quicker methods (no ... I'm NOT a "millennial" ).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by zymm
Better than the SFO Alaska lounge :P :P
It was the best lounge in the system. Arguably the new terminal still might remain so.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Lounge access by Admiral'c Club or Priority Pass

We'll be flying AS LAX-EWR Friday evening. We typically access AS Board Rooms via AA membership, but also have Priority Pass. I know that the SEA and (maybe to a lesser extent) PDX lounges routinely turn away PP people. Any anecdotes about LAX? Also, for Admiral's Club access, I carry a photo of my current card on my phone (just need my status card for AC access). This has always worked, but one time at SEA they almost didn't want to take it. I'm assuming that the :LAX lounge is more low key?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by brp
We'll be flying AS LAX-EWR Friday evening. We typically access AS Board Rooms via AA membership, but also have Priority Pass. I know that the SEA and (maybe to a lesser extent) PDX lounges routinely turn away PP people. Any anecdotes about LAX? Also, for Admiral's Club access, I carry a photo of my current card on my phone (just need my status card for AC access). This has always worked, but one time at SEA they almost didn't want to take it. I'm assuming that the :LAX lounge is more low key?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers.
I would think you will have access with the AC membership easily since that is a partnership with AL There is no reciprocal relationship with PP, meaning -my AL membership does not get me into other lounges that PP does. I know I have heard people adjacent to me try to get into an AC using some sort of card and hearing them being declined, but I did not stick around to hear the full story.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ctporter
I would think you will have access with the AC membership easily since that is a partnership with AL There is no reciprocal relationship with PP, meaning -my AL membership does not get me into other lounges that PP does. I know I have heard people adjacent to me try to get into an AC using some sort of card and hearing them being declined, but I did not stick around to hear the full story.
Thanks. They're listed on PP, but I know that other locations have been doing the "limited space" thing regularly. In the end, I'll just go with AC and assume that I can get by with just the picture as works at PDX.

Cheers.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
To the points that the OP brought up, I believe all airport/airline lounges get overrun at times. There was a DL SC that I visited (prior to the "divorce") that made PDX seem like a haven and spacious. (the snack area was overrun with kids doing their best to empty out every bit of snacks provided, either on their plates or on the floor) The Escape Lounge at Oak used to be great, but now getting a seat is very challenging let alone one with power and forget about getting one of the comfy work areas!. I was just at MSP where we have access to the United club - it was tiny and extremely crowded! So, I keep in the forefront of my mind why I value my membership. There are days when the lounges are not overrun, when foods and beverages all work and are available, when the staff are able to visit and chat or a fellow traveller starts up a fun conversation, or it is quiet enough that I can get lost in reading a book for pleasure and enjoy that solitude type of feeling. Sometimes, the soup and salad is JUST what I want instead of the high fat high calorie foods (I cannot say no to a burger and fries) that is served in restaurants. (AS lounges are my personal diet keeper in that way - LOL) As long as I remind myself ahead of time what the type of "red" wines are typically served (as opposed to the bold red wines I love) I am ok with what is offered. Another benefit is I spend much less in a lounge than I do sitting in an airport restaurant! (yes, I will have another glass, and make it a 9 oz again please....)
jjmadison likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.