Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Predeparture Drinks in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mbluecpa

Thanks for re-confirming. Service was generally weak on this flight, so I’m chalking it up to that. I let Alaska Listens know.
Just checking, for those in the know.. is Alaska Listens still an effective way to indicate our feelings on how things are going?

Appreciate the update(s).
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Just checking, for those in the know.. is Alaska Listens still an effective way to indicate our feelings on how things are going?

Appreciate the update(s).
I got my first response to an Alaska Listens comment a couple of months ago - I rated whatever category one star so maybe that drove a review/response. Only response I’ve received since Alaska Listens has been around so not sure if I’m on to something or got randomly picked.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by mbluecpa

I got my first response to an Alaska Listens comment a couple of months ago - I rated whatever category one star so maybe that drove a review/response. Only response I’ve received since Alaska Listens has been around so not sure if I’m on to something or got randomly picked.
I once gave a 2-star in an alaskalistens survey and I received a response in about 15 minutes from a rep to ask me about what happened. They replied immediately to further emails.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
FWIW, I got full PDB service on my roundtrip LAX-DCA flights (Airbus, so pmVX crews) this past week. Not completely gone. Flight times were 12:40pm and 9:10am.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
FWIW, I got full PDB service on my roundtrip LAX-DCA flights (Airbus, so pmVX crews) this past week. Not completely gone. Flight times were 12:40pm and 9:10am.
Same on PDX-SFO at 2:45pm the other day.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
PDB coffee and OJ on AS 88 ANC-SEA on Sunday.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOB W
PDB coffee and OJ on AS 88 ANC-SEA on Sunday.
The thread title is not accurate. It is misleading. OP declared "No more Pre Departure Drinks in F" when he did not receive an "alcoholic" beverage before departure on an Airbus flight. I don't know what the OP's objective was in leaving out the qualifier in his title but it did spark a furry in a few pmVX Loyalists. VX is GONE but PDB in F is not.

Airbus & Boeing are now aligned on PDB policy.

James
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The thread title is not accurate. It is misleading. OP declared "No more Pre Departure Drinks in F" when he did not receive an "alcoholic" beverage before departure on an Airbus flight. I don't know what the OP's objective was in leaving out the qualifier in his title but it did spark a furry in a few pmVX Loyalists. VX is GONE but PDB in F is not.

Airbus & Boeing are now aligned on PDB policy.

James
The pmVX FAs on the LAX-DCA-LAX route were still serving alcoholic PDBs as well, so maybe not fully aligned.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
I don’t have the link handy, but an article in the travel section of USA Today discussing this issue says AS is adding sparkling wine as an F PDB for flights after 10 am, beginning November 1.
AS Flyer, PABE and pcoll like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've seen a lot of coffee/soda/non-alcoholic PDBs out of Juneau. *shrugs*

Some of the FAs are also old-school from the MD80/737-200 days.

The newer FAs are the ones holding the company line.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
I don’t have the link handy, but an article in the travel section of USA Today discussing this issue says AS is adding sparkling wine as an F PDB for flights after 10 am, beginning November 1.
Found it

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ss/1060625002/

Similar misleading title as this thread. The sparkling wine (La Marca or something else?) is unfortunately typical of AS' service "improvements"- half-assed poorly thought out gestures. They already do not board enough champagne/sparkling wine for leisure routes, now they're going to waste one or two bottles on PDBs? Will the PDBs be prepoured (and potentially wasted) or take orders, then served? But no mimosas before 10am? And still not just opening up to full PDB anytime.

ETA: It still takes almost 2.5 months just to roll out this new change. Why didn't they wait until Nov 1 to align the PDB policy across the VX fleet? Instead, we have three different PDB policies in the space of three months. Unbelievably tone deaf to the customer experience.
jjmadison likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Aug 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Found it

Similar misleading title as this thread. The sparkling wine (La Marca or something else?) is unfortunately typical of AS' service "improvements"- half-assed poorly thought out gestures. They already do not board enough champagne/sparkling wine for leisure routes, now they're going to waste one or two bottles on PDBs? Will the PDBs be prepoured (and potentially wasted) or take orders, then served? But no mimosas before 10am? And still not just opening up to full PDB anytime.

ETA: It still takes almost 2.5 months just to roll out this new change. Why didn't they wait until Nov 1 to align the PDB policy across the VX fleet? Instead, we have three different PDB policies in the space of three months. Unbelievably tone deaf to the customer experience.
You make it sound so simple.

I would suspect that changes in other aspects of catering are needed to fit the necessary supplies in the galley, particularly for flights that are double catered. If you know how to do this overnight without unnecessary cost, I'm confident Alaska would hire you in a senior executive position.

Ultimately, if an alcoholic drink (or two) during boarding is critical to your travel experience, fly another airline.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I gave up on expecting PDBs a long time ago when flying regularly on United so I don't miss it when it is not offered. I do appreciate the bottle of water sitting at my seat when I arrive, sometimes after a mad sprint across the airport!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:14 pm

Found it

Having a fixed choice of PDB (water, OJ, sparkling wine) is pretty standard in Business Class on a lot of carriers. It sounds like AS is trying to take a step in the right direction, at least. I'm sure that AS is aware of inventory issues and can make the necessary adjustments if galley space permits. The USA Today article is certainly confusing and poorly written, though. AS has fluctuated numerous times on PDBs over the years. I guess "we'll see what happens."
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:22 pm

Found it

Wow - having a bad day?

AS will be implementing a new PDB service on most flights starting 11/1 (last I heard). As the article mentions, OJ, water or sparkling wine. Before 10am coffee will also be available. This is pretty much on par with what I've gotten in Business Class on several international carriers. It's more than is offered now and I'm sure Alaska will up the sparkling wine boarded to compensate for the extra being used. As for what kind - I have no idea.
Eastbay1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.