Did the free Biscoffs in coach go away?

Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS
Once again, thank you AS Flyer. It is good to hear what the intention is going forward. Helps with planning. Now just sad that I realize my next pmVX flight is mid October, was hoping to “nab” a souvenir VX glass.
Perhaps Sept flights might get a swap.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Thanks, @AS Flyer. That’s consistent with my recent experience: was given cookies on all eight flights (four AS 737s, four QX Q400s) in the last few weeks, all without asking. They didn’t give me any for my sleeping partner without my asking.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
On AS 73 JNU-ANC and biscoffs handed out. + jco chocolate AND drink... hmmm.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
So dumb question: I'm MVP Gold. How do I get one of these mythical chocolates?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mfolf
So dumb question: I'm MVP Gold. How do I get one of these mythical chocolates?
Just ask for one if you're not having an adult beverage when in coach. Or if in Premium Class, even if you're having one I guess.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Just ask for one if you're not having an adult beverage when in coach. Or if in Premium Class, even if you're having one I guess.
Exactly.

IND-SEA had both today ^
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
Where's the love? I was on flight 352 this morning from SEA to OAK. It leaves at 5:58 a.m. so I was pretty sleepy when I ordered my juice. After the cart passed me by I realized that the man in the aisle across from me got Biscoffs and I didn't, and the man in the row ahead of me got his chocolate and I didn't. I also did not get addressed by name or thanked for being Gold.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sjbsf
Where's the love? I was on flight 352 this morning from SEA to OAK. It leaves at 5:58 a.m. so I was pretty sleepy when I ordered my juice. After the cart passed me by I realized that the man in the aisle across from me got Biscoffs and I didn't, and the man in the row ahead of me got his chocolate and I didn't. I also did not get addressed by name or thanked for being Gold.
Did you inquire about either?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Honestly, I think they are more likely to forget the chocolate than the Biscoff....on that note, the chocolate bar thing is a bit awkward in the sense that if you get a free drink, it's not very noticeable to those around you since drinks are available to everyone (just not necessarily for free). The chocolate, on the other hand, is not for sale and as folks are handed the chocolate, it's important for the FAs to make some verbal mention of status and/or thank the passenger for their business, otherwise it looks like someone got skipped over for a snack (like you did with the Biscoffs in this case).
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Honestly, I think they are more likely to forget the chocolate than the Biscoff....on that note, the chocolate bar thing is a bit awkward in the sense that if you get a free drink, it's not very noticeable to those around you since drinks are available to everyone (just not necessarily for free). The chocolate, on the other hand, is not for sale and as folks are handed the chocolate, it's important for the FAs to make some verbal mention of status and/or thank the passenger for their business, otherwise it looks like someone got skipped over for a snack (like you did with the Biscoffs in this case).
And quite frankly, the service directives are confusing for all.

As an AS FA, you need to keep in mind the following:

E=Biscoffs for all, allegedly the FA should ask first.
PE=No Biscoffs, unless asked, but eligible for chocolate, PAX should ask first.
F=No Biscoffs, unless asked, also eligible for chocolate, but not really?, PAX should also ask?

Unless you're on an Airbus, and then it's just a crapshoot, depending upon what's loaded by catering.

If a FT'er is confused, can you imagine how the rest of the world feels?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And quite frankly, the service directives are confusing for all.

As an AS FA, you need to keep in mind the following:

E=Biscoffs for all, allegedly the FA should ask first.
PE=No Biscoffs, unless asked, but eligible for chocolate, PAX should ask first. PAX is not supposed to have to ask, it's just to be given as drinks are already included in PE
F=No Biscoffs, unless asked, also eligible for chocolate, but not really?, PAX should also ask? PAX should ask for these things if they want them in F. The chocolate is meant to be a conciliatory offering if you aren't upgraded. Assuming you're in FC (either paid or upgraded) it's irrelevant. Biscoff's are not a beverage snack in F any longer.

Unless you're on an Airbus, and then it's just a crapshoot, depending upon what's loaded by catering.

If a FT'er is confused, can you imagine how the rest of the world feels?
Just a couple corrections for accuracy, not that it would probably help because there's so much inconsistency on the Alaska end of things.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
I was on a 737, Alaska crew, not ex-Virgin. I did not inquire, since by the time I realized I had been overlooked for both Biscoff and chocolate the cart was a few rows down and it wasn't worth trying to chase down a flight attendant.

But, if they really only get 18 chocolates per flight, there is a 100% chance that on a Monday, 6:00 a.m. flight there are more than 18 golds and they ran out of them before the exit row.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I was on a 737, Alaska crew, not ex-Virgin. I did not inquire, since by the time I realized I had been overlooked for both Biscoff and chocolate the cart was a few rows down and it wasn't worth trying to chase down a flight attendant.

But, if they really only get 18 chocolates per flight, there is a 100% chance that on a Monday, 6:00 a.m. flight there are more than 18 golds and they ran out of them before the exit row.
The chocolate bar thing has been hit and miss (mostly miss) since the program started...it seemed like it went away for awhile (or they were catered but you had to ask) and now they seem to be showing up more frequently now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.