Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
dupe seat or they were on guest passes.

Articles like this have me burying my head in the sand as a gay man. This makes us look like whiney victims.
Totally with you on this. I've posted my support for LGBT equality under the law here in FT maybe a thousand times. This story stinks to high heaven. My guess is that at best, this couple mistakenly inferred discrimination. At worst, they have a Delta connection.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Regarding the "keeping families together" policy... I've seen GA's do gymnastics trying to move people around to allow people to sit together, especially parents & kids (which is nice). Of course if airlines would just let these families book together instead of only offering them middle seats throughout the plane, that'd also be nice.
+1 Blocking off the front part of the plane and trying to get people to pay extra for it is somewhat incompatable with seating people together. I really applaud AS trying to do so, but it (a) needs to be a voluntary move, and (b) can't be to a less good (here E+ to E-) seat. A downgrade to let people sit together is NOT cool....
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober

I usually fly with friends. We always try to sit next to each other, but we're usually on separate PNRs. Despite booking together, we'll sometimes get moved around. Bumped up or back a row. Usually keeping our same window or aisle seat but in a new row and never being bumped completely down a cabin.

Do you link your reservations? Never been separated while linking them. Could just be lucky though.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Originally Posted by IAmABirdNotAPlane
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Forget the gay part. NOBODY SHOULD BE FORCED TO MOVE TO SEAT A COUPLE!!! Let alone a premium seat.
Well, I think that depends on the particulars of the case, to be honest.
It does? I am trying to rack my brain thinking of a situation where it would be okay to downgrade someone from premium seating to reunite a couple.

Even if one of the couple was handicapped and needed care...why not a regular coach seat?
It sounds like this was a case where each couple had boarding passes for the same seats due to an IT glitch. Couple A was already seated in the seats; couple B was not. AS apparently decided that it was couple B that was "appropriately" assigned those seats. Couple B didn't want to give up their assigned seats because they wanted to travel together.

So what it sounds like was AS had to separate and/or downgrade one couple with boarding passes with seats assigned together. I don't know how they chose which couple to downgrade, though I don't entirely buy the "possession is 90% of the law" argument that the couple seated in the seats should have been allowed to stay there.

So that is a particular situation in which it's certainly OK; they had to downgrade one couple. AS certainly should have done so with an apology and an offer of compensation: obviously a (cash) refund of any Premium Class fee paid, a comp drink in the regular economy seat, and probably also something like 5,000-20,000 miles or an equivalent discount code. Whether the downgraded couple was gay of course has nothing to do with it.

Whether or not that is actually what happened in this case, it is certainly a situation in which it is OK to downgrade someone from premium seating to reunite a couple.

Not being there and not having seen any description of what happens that gives enough detail to judge, I can't say if AS IT, the AS FA, the AS GA, the downgraded (and ultimately deboarded) couple, or more than one of the above were out of line.

All this said, the way unconscious discrimination could easily play into this is a GA or FA seeing a man and a woman with boarding passes for 3EF who want to sit together, looks at 3EF and sees two men there, and doesn't think the two men are a couple. Then the GA/FA says to the man and woman "sure, I can put you in your assigned seats to keep you together".
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:57 pm

What a crock.
From the FAs working the flight the guy who was asked to move to coach where his seat actually was.
He decided he was just going to sit next to his husband even when it wasn’t his seat.
They chose to get off
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by Crzn33k
From the FAs working the flight the guy who was asked to move to coach where his seat actually was.
He decided he was just going to sit next to his husband even when it wasn’t his seat.
If that is truly the case, I hope Alaska makes a proper public statement (preferably in local LA media) and adds these guys to their no flight list. Self upgraders are bad enough, self upgraders believing this world is meant to rotate around their inflated egos are a major annoyance to everyone. I was in situations when passengers would take my seat and get aggressive when I didn't agree to swap my F seat for theirs in Y.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:47 pm

What a crock.
They chose to get off
So you are saying you have first hand account that one of the passengers was NOT in his assigned seat? It seems like Alaska would just come out and say this if true.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
So you are saying you have first hand account that one of the passengers was NOT in his assigned seat? It seems like Alaska would just come out and say this if true.
Even if that is the case, AS might just be taking a put-the-fire-out-now approach to get this to blow over as quickly as possible. I don't blame them after UA's PR disasters last year.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
he was moved to the EXIT ROW & refused to assist in the event of an emergency.

why won't Alaska go public with this info while they keep getting beat up in the press.

Gays are among the worst groups of bullies in existence,and I AM GAY! If we don't like something, we will bully you into submission.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:58 am

he was moved to the EXIT ROW & refused to assist in the event of an emergency.

why won't Alaska go public with this info while they keep getting beat up in the press.
Can you share your source? Also, do you mean he was moved from his original seat to an exit row, and then refused to help in the event of an emergency?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
An error happened, and two people got boarding passes for the same seat. OK, fine. It happens.

But Alaska Airlines has still not stated any reason for what happened next, that it chose to separate the same-sex couple to seat the opposite-sex couple together. That silence is starting to sound very loud.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Unfortunately Alaska Corp Comm monitors this board ... so I am not going to disclose it.

But as FlyerTalkers and Alaska/Virgin loyalists, we can be assured that the staff did not act in any homophobic means or ways.
luitje likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:33 am
wkc

Gays are among the worst groups of bullies in existence,and I AM GAY! If we don't like something, we will bully you into submission.
Replace the word "gay" with "privileged white cis-male" and this whole story basically reads out in the same exact manner.

I would like to throw a wrench into the works and argue that Alaska PR's bend-over-backwards-mentality had less to do this passenger's sexual orientation, and more to do with his racial profile and social-standing in society.
luitje likes this.

Last edited by wkc; Aug 1, 2018 at 5:50 am Reason: I cannot grammar...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
When Crzn33k posts something, you're getting good information.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
What a crock.
They chose to get off
This is probably the most believable scenario that has been posed. Add to it the comment from another person about alcohol having played a role, and it all comes together. As I gay man who has suffered genuine discrimination (six cops cars surrounding my car as I tried to leave a Denny's years ago) this doesn't even remotely meet any definition of discrimination. In order for this to even be consider such, the pax would have had to have been re-seated BECAUSE they were gay. THAT is discrimination, and it's clear no one was singled out or targeted here.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by transportbiz; Aug 1, 2018 at 9:07 am Reason: typo correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.