Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
... but this story will have a relatively short shelf life.
I'm almost at the point of creating a Zapier script to post "it's not true" on the FB posts of everyone in my network circulating this news story every day....it still has legs. Maybe the next thing we see is new cocktail at the Abbey called "The Fake Victim", made from crocodile tears, bull poop, and half-truths - you can order one this weekend for $29, or $49 with an extra shot of publicity hound juice.
UAPremierExec and LWkitty like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:34 pm

There is a possibility of something between intentional discrimination and total fabrication. The truth is usually in the middle. Since everyone else is speculating, My guess is that there was some other reason why Mr. Cooley’s partner was asked to give up his seat but that the flight attendant or gate agent did use the phrase “so a couple can sit together” I’ve flown Alaska long enough to know that flight attendants and gate agents often give bogus reasons for things to passengers and this time it got the company in trouble. I see some parallels to Alaska’s last public relations issue when Mark Zuckerberg’s sister posted about flight attendants asking her to move to coach when a male Alaska frequent flyer, who was a known problem, was making inappropriate sexual comments. The seat issue is not nearly as serious as condoning sexual harassment of passengers but both are examples of flight attendants at Alaska interacting with passengers in a way that worked 20 years ago but will cost the company in the future.
ashill likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
When Crzn33k posts something, you're getting good information.
Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
The Alaska statement confirms dupe seats, and as the CEO of the Abbey, I'd find guest passes to be doubtful. Maybe it came down to an upgrade processor glitch and the other pax had a higher status or fare, although I doubt we'll ever know. I do agree that it comes off as "whiney victims", but it does seem like 2 or 3 minutes of a GA/FA working with solo travelers to do a seat swap with either couple would've avoided this whole mess instead of going the deplane the aircraft route. (which is actually what the couple ended up doing in the end)
My flights this year have had duplicate seats, airports including ANC, BRW, SEA, SAN. Almost every single flight.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
My flights this year have had duplicate seats, airports including ANC, BRW, SEA, SAN. Almost every single flight.
Except pax probably didn't throw a hissy fit when moved to the exit row and eventually thrown off the plane.
be_rettSEA and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Except pax probably didn't throw a hissy fit when moved to the exit row and eventually thrown off the plane.
mayhaps not, but it's another example of bad IT that results in completely avoidable situations like this...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:18 pm
Suspended

"Alaska Airlines says it is investigating a mistake in which a gay couple were told they had to switch seats to make way for a heterosexual couple who wished to sit together.

David Cooley is a well-known gay businessman. He’s the founder and CEO of West Hollywood gay hotspot, The Abbey.
I'm not sure what's more stupid here. That a bar owner would call himself a CEO or someone pretending to a be a CEO booked a flight in coach. I guess I'm sitting next to Santa Claus or the richest guy in the world the next time I'm not up front.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ou81two
I'm not sure what's more stupid here. That a bar owner would call himself a CEO or someone pretending to a be a CEO booked a flight in coach. I guess I'm sitting next to Santa Claus or the richest guy in the world the next time I'm not up front.
HA! Excellent points, but we are talking LA after all. To be fair, he's expanded the Abbey 5x over the years (it's over 16,000 square feet now) and did open the Chapel (around 6,000 SF, I think) next door a couple of years ago, and does have multiple real estate ventures around LA that are part of his holdings, so I don't think calling himself a CEO of a company that employs a ton of people is that far fetched. It's also a full service restaurant in addition to a bar, not that it really matters. I'd be much more curious to find out what the customer service gesture settlement was for him and his partner, but that has an NDA attached to it, I'm sure.

I'd love to sit next to Santa Claus too, but I think he flies private.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ou81two
This is a thing now!

I am self employed. I have many friends that are also self employed. Either a sole proprietor setup or an LLC. They are the ONLY employee of their company/venture. In their email signatures they are the "CEO" of said company. I guess this is some kind of 'tagline' to show some kind of success?
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I have 3 employees and I still find it hard to say i'm "CEO" of an aviation technology company.... plus, it makes us sound expensive like some of those "other" firms who charge folks like Alaska $25,000 a month per consultant, and we actually *do* work.
jackal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.