FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   I HATE the new visual cabin dividers! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1922392-i-hate-new-visual-cabin-dividers.html)

KeepDeltaMyDelta Jul 28, 2018 7:16 pm

I HATE the new visual cabin dividers!

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 15555282)
Forget the snack, spend the money on a cabin divider to kill some of the noise from Y.

In the last row of F I’ve had people in the first row of Y:
- use the center arm rest as a foot rest
- grab and shake my seat as they are getting up to exit their row
- ask me not to recline so much
- tap my on the shoulder and ask, “Hey. If you’re not going eat your cookie can I have it?”

Bring back the full wall cabin dividers!

VX had the best cabin dividers.

IStream Jul 29, 2018 10:46 am

Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDelta (Post 30023355)

- grab and shake my seat as they are getting up to exit their row

Keep in mind that row 6 is designated handicapped. Many times that I've had row 4, there was an older/mobility-challenged individual seated behind me who needed to use my seat-back to get up and down. A partial hard divider with a grab bar would go a long way to preserve the comfort of those in row 4 while serving the needs of those in row 6.

AndyPatterson Jul 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDelta (Post 30023355)

- use the center arm rest as a foot rest
. . .

Bring back the full wall cabin dividers!

VX had the best cabin dividers.

Just saying, once I accidentally spilled some water down the back of my armrest (in F) when the passenger behind me had his sock-clad feet up on the armrest. Solved that problem. YMMV, though.

philemer Jul 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 30025710)
Just saying, once I accidentally spilled some water down the back of my armrest (in F) when the passenger behind me had his sock-clad feet up on the armrest. Solved that problem. YMMV, though.

Excellent remedy. :)

chrisl137 Jul 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Delta is apparently doing the same thing. I haven't flown them, but theirs pops up on google, too. It's probably a pretty significant mass savings that will add up to measurable long term fuel savings. It might be the mass savings that lets them put the extra cracker in the fruit and cheese plate.

I haven't flown on an aircraft with it yet, but from the pictures it looks a little too minimal.

Single_Flyer Jul 29, 2018 7:38 pm

I haven't flown an Alaska plane with a solid divider between First and Economy in years.

I have noticed that they have switched from the short fabric curtain divider to a plastic divider that only goes down to the seat.

eponymous_coward Jul 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer (Post 30026245)
I haven't flown an Alaska plane with a solid divider between First and Economy in years.

I have noticed that they have switched from the short fabric curtain divider to a plastic divider that only goes down to the seat.

Yeah, next someone is going to complain about the new AS 737s that replaced the MD-80s...

tod701 Jul 31, 2018 7:48 am

Originally Posted by IStream (Post 30024962)
A partial hard divider with a grab bar would go a long way to preserve the comfort of those in row 4 while serving the needs of those in row 6.

Unfortunately most partial dividers are attached to the PSU rails in the stow bin and will not take the load requirements of an airworthy grab bar.
(think 300 lb person x 9G forward load)

IStream Jul 31, 2018 9:25 am

Originally Posted by tod701 (Post 30031318)
Unfortunately most partial dividers are attached to the PSU rails in the stow bin and will not take the load requirements of an airworthy grab bar.
(think 300 lb person x 9G forward load)

Yeah, I realize that it would take some engineering to do properly.

ashill Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by IStream (Post 30031718)

And some FAA certification, I would guess.

jrl767 Jul 31, 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by IStream (Post 30031718)

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 30032872)
And some FAA certification, I would guess.

FAR Part 25 is the source of the requirements that become part of the engineering specifications (design and test)

UAPremierExec Aug 1, 2018 1:18 am

Was on a plane tonight with the new Alaska "baby bulkhead" -- says "Alaska" etched in a smoke colored plexiglass separator with NO curtain... 737-800, btw.

rustykettel Aug 1, 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30034403)
Was on a plane tonight with the new Alaska "baby bulkhead" -- says "Alaska" etched in a smoke colored plexiglass separator with NO curtain... 737-800, btw.

Sounds like more adopting the worst parts of VX.

Single_Flyer Aug 1, 2018 10:48 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 30035400)
Sounds like more adopting the worst parts of VX.

I honestly like the plexi-glass divider better. The blue half curtains always seemed kinda gross to me, hanging over your seat, catching dust and dander (or worse); I'm guessing those don't get washed very often (ever?).

AS737 Aug 1, 2018 6:32 pm

That's not the actual new divider. That is only on one or two 737-800s that have the prototype Boeing Sky Interior in them. The actual new divider uses plastic pieces, but with the traditional bulkhead design you see on the forward bulkhead