Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA is a mess

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by northwesterner
Of the airports I pass through regularly, SEA's TSA operation is the worst. The staffing seems to have no basis in actual/expected passenger loads.
Try arriving internationally and connecting onward! Two TSA lanes, no PRE & usually only one open. Painful! Luckily I have Global Entey/Nexus so I just go landside and go back through TSA Pre on the departure level.

James
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Try arriving internationally and connecting onward! Two TSA lanes, no PRE & usually only one open. Painful! Luckily I have Global Entey/Nexus so I just go landside and go back through TSA Pre on the departure level.

James
That's my SOP in SEA for International Arrivals.

Forgot I'm going to need to do this again in Sept...
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
That's my SOP in SEA for International Arrivals.

Forgot I'm going to need to do this again in Sept...
... unless you finagle a long enough break for the contemplated DO
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:09 am

You guys are making me worry. We've got a Sunday morning flight at 7:35 in two weeks on Alaskan. We were just going to stay downtown the night before and get up early to Uber/taxi to SEATAC. Should we be rethinking that?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by AnthonyGT
You guys are making me worry. We've got a Sunday morning flight at 7:35 in two weeks on Alaskan. We were just going to stay downtown the night before and get up early to Uber/taxi to SEATAC. Should we be rethinking that?

Thanks!
Early Sunday morning, you'll save about 20 minutes taking an airport hotel shuttle versus an Uber from downtown.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:34 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

We've got a Sunday morning flight at 7:35 in two weeks on Alaskan. We were just going to stay downtown the night before and get up early to Uber/taxi to SEATAC. Should we be rethinking that?
Play downtown and then stay at the airport. Take a look at what's offered on Hotwire.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM

Thanks!
A 7:35 AM flight on a Sunday morning? So you will plan to be at the airport at 6 AM? When I travel SEA to PDX by car on Sunday mornings at 7 AM I can get from downtown to SEATAC in minutes (well 10-20 minutes) unless they have closed I-5 southbound for construction which I do not think they are doing. Heck, I can be on cruise control all the way to Tacoma at that time in the morning, even during the summer.....afternoons, not so much. I do not think you need to worry about traffic or even TSA at that time on Sunday. If you are worried, yeah sure, get a hotel near the airport, but you will be fine being downtown.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Flew into SEA this morning. Originally assigned C11, pulled into D3. I experienced my first gate hold 25+ minutes... I fell asleep, but others were annoyed.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Thanks!
depending on your situation with PRE and checked bags you should be planning to leave downtown no later than 5:30am to get to the airport and through in a timely manner. earlier if you plan to check bags and don't have PRE.

for me, getting up early is no issue, i'm up before 6 every day...for others, i know it's a struggle and they prefer to avoid morning flights. if you're not a morning person, have fun downtown the night before and then book a room at the Crowne Plaza SEATAC which is an easy 10 minute walk to the terminal.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
depending on your situation with PRE and checked bags you should be planning to leave downtown no later than 5:30am to get to the airport and through in a timely manner. earlier if you plan to check bags and don't have PRE.

for me, getting up early is no issue, i'm up before 6 every day...for others, i know it's a struggle and they prefer to avoid morning flights. if you're not a morning person, have fun downtown the night before and then book a room at the Crowne Plaza SEATAC which is an easy 10 minute walk to the terminal.
Also compare rates at the Sea Tac airport Hilton, also an equally short walk to the terminal across the skybridge to the light rail station, and with a nice pool/jacuzzi. Although 2 or 3 summers ago, the elevator to/from street level was out of order for several months, and I fortunately had light enough baggage to carry up/down the roughly 4 stories of stairs!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks!
When you get up on Sunday am, check google maps traffic to see if departures is so busy the red lines are now black. If that is the case (as it was today) look at being dropped off at arrivals. The other thing to consider is that if departures is that crowded you should anticipate that TSA lanes will be crowded as well and allow some extra time for that.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs down “mess” is putting it lightly

Sun 29 July, 2155 departure on DL ... arrived by Link light rail ~2040, finished checking my bag ~2050; the flight was on A13 so I headed to Checkpoint 2 (by the low A gates), but found it had just closed ... then discovered that Pre was ONLY at Checkpoint 5 (by the low D gates and the escalators to the train for N), which meant that the center of the terminal was a total cluster because everyone w/o Pre was being pushed thru Checkpoints 3 and 4

there were only a dozen or so in line for the ID checks, but probably 25-30 in the actual screening queues beyond the frosted glass doors ... by the time I got my laptop and other stuff and made my way back to A13 (~2115) the GA was making the “welcome to DL2377 to JFK, we will begin pre-boarding in a minute or two” announcement

just past MSO at 35000 feet, finishing up my second g&t ... the one after boarding tasted REALLY good
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
IF it worked more consistently, I would quite agree.

But of all the CLEAR airports I've been through, I find SEA's machines consistently the worst for quickly identifying me. The last time I had EIGHT attempts and then the machine crashed.

It depends on loads. I've certainly been there when the rental car bus stopped at both north and south stops.
Same experience with Clear, cancelled my trial before it billed me. It seemed that showing your ID was faster and better than the frustration that came with Clear. Any one have any experience lately with Clear?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by tonythetiger06
Same experience with Clear, cancelled my trial before it billed me. It seemed that showing your ID was faster and better than the frustration that came with Clear. Any one have any experience lately with Clear?
Never had an issue with Clear crashing while trying to identify me. Only issue I have is that I hate the picture they have of me stored.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: HH Silver
During my check in for my flight on the 22nd, I found out that check point #5 is now PRE only. I wonder how that will work out. I normally have always ignored that checkpoint after missing a flight because of the horrendous back ups there that you cannot see until it is too late. On the 22nd there was hardly anyone there, and it went quickly. Not sure if that was because it was new, or what. Checkpoint 3 was a mess.

With checkpoint 4 PRE only until noon, and checkpoint 5 PRE all the time, it seems like that end of the airport should be pretty quick for people with PRE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.