Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA is a mess

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Having to run from the end of the earth (A13) to the N gates for a SFO-SEA-ANC connection was a TON of fun thanks to getting out of SFO nearly an hour late. What was going to be an enjoyable hour in SeaTac turned into "Good Luck".

At least our FAs were accommodating, letting the handful of us making the dash line up even before F to deplane.

Will the N terminal upgrades allow Alaska to keep their planes in N/D/C?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Somehow, I think the hotels around the airport are experiencing record occupancy
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP
The last two times I'm flown out on a Monday evening, arriving around 6:15-6:30PM the north security check point has been closed.

Of course, I've got an N gate flight so I ask to be dropped off at the north end of the drive.

Walk down to the center checkpoint and there are hundreds of people in line. Both times I've walked all the way to the south checkpoint, found it basically empty, and made my flights because I was able to get through quickly.

For certain two weeks ago I would not have made my flight with the line at the central checkpoint.

Why are they keeping such short hours at the north checkpoint these days? It's awful when you're flying Alaska.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
We nearly missed an international connection on BA due to ATC delay a couple months ago. You would think 3 hours in advance of the flight PDX- SEA would be enough domestic to international connection leeway? Not at rush hour in SEA. Nail biting.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by northwesterner

Walk down to the center checkpoint and there are hundreds of people in line. Both times I've walked all the way to the south checkpoint, found it basically empty, and made my flights because I was able to get through quickly.
Pro tip: Same thing applies to the rental cars.

The consolidated garage is a joke... was soo much easier when one could walk across the skybridge.

So when you see hundreds of people in line at the North Car Rental busing point, consider walking to the South location. This 5 minute journey very well may yield zero people in line. The POS has a serious issue with this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Flying out of Seattle today, TSA precheck lines were 20+ minutes long. It was total chaos.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:16 am

Speaking of messes, I cant wait for the E expansion to be complete at PDX and Southwest gets kicked out of C. It's amazing seeing the difference in the number of people between the two sides of the airport.

If I remember correctly it will only be American and Alaska in C once E is complete.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Flying out of Seattle today, TSA precheck lines were 20+ minutes long. It was total chaos.
And the value proposition for CLEAR keeps getting bigger.
osotoc likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Arrived for a flight at 0630 this morning. Pre check took five minutes and all flights are operating on time despite a bit of fog.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Pro tip: Same thing applies to the rental cars.

The consolidated garage is a joke... was soo much easier when one could walk across the skybridge.

So when you see hundreds of people in line at the North Car Rental busing point, consider walking to the South location. This 5 minute journey very well may yield zero people in line. The POS has a serious issue with this.
Don't the same busses stop at both locations? I remember doing this and getting stuck on a packed bus. If I rent a car in Seattle, I now go with Silvercar and walk over if it's not raining or offsite in Downtown SEA or Bellevue. Haven't picked up a car at SEA in about three years. It's an awful experience.

I'm also extremely thankful for Clear at SEA.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by northwesterner
The last two times I'm flown out on a Monday evening, arriving around 6:15-6:30PM the north security check point has been closed.

Of course, I've got an N gate flight so I ask to be dropped off at the north end of the drive.

For certain two weeks ago I would not have made my flight with the line at the central checkpoint.

Why are they keeping such short hours at the north checkpoint these days? It's awful when you're flying Alaska.
I bet the TSA could answer that question for you. Personally, I find their staffing at SEA fairly bizarre and not in sync with passenger loads. By the way, how much is the organization running CLEAR paying them?
flatdawgs and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by formeraa
By the way, how much is the organization running CLEAR paying them?
No idea about the arrangement in Seattle, but CLEAR doesn't pay the TSA. They pay the airport.

In Phoenix, it's 10% of gross sales or a minimum of $200,000/year, according to this article by the Arizona Republic.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Don't the same busses stop at both locations? I remember doing this and getting stuck on a packed bus. If I rent a car in Seattle, I now go with Silvercar and walk over if it's not raining or offsite in Downtown SEA or Bellevue. Haven't picked up a car at SEA in about three years. It's an awful experience.

I'm also extremely thankful for Clear at SEA.
No, different buses to each stop.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
And the value proposition for CLEAR keeps getting bigger.
IF it worked more consistently, I would quite agree.

But of all the CLEAR airports I've been through, I find SEA's machines consistently the worst for quickly identifying me. The last time I had EIGHT attempts and then the machine crashed.

Originally Posted by beckoa
No, different buses to each stop.
It depends on loads. I've certainly been there when the rental car bus stopped at both north and south stops.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by formeraa
I bet the TSA could answer that question for you. Personally, I find their staffing at SEA fairly bizarre and not in sync with passenger loads. By the way, how much is the organization running CLEAR paying them?
Of the airports I pass through regularly, SEA's TSA operation is the worst. The staffing seems to have no basis in actual/expected passenger loads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.