Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) - New Nonstop SEA-HKG (March, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)

Starting March 2019 - Mileage tickets available! Happy Booking!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
oh great! I wondering if I can do HKG-SEA(stop)-YVR-JFK...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Jma12
Sure! As two awards.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Jma12
No but you will be able to fly HKG > SEA > JFK/EWR
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Hmmm... seems like AS should really look at joining the OneWorld alliance. Or at least the OW Connect (or whatever it is called) like Fiji Airways is doing.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Nice to have this new option from SEA, whether using miles or not, especially after Delta announced it is ending its SEA-HKG route.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Saw a generous C8 on a couple sample dates I checked for premium cabin award availability. Of course, this is a 359 flight, so no F to complain about being unavailable . On a comedic sidenote, I was looking at Seatguru comments about the CX 359 J seats and either row 11 is very bad or the same person (probably a Boeing mole) posted at least a dozen times about the horrors of being seated there.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
This is definitely good news������,may even persuade some regular Asia Paciifc flyers to stay with AS instead of defecting to DL

I flew DL SEA to HKG a few times in the last 3 years (business and pleasure), and it wasn't bad at all. A friend who flew HKG to LAX 1-2 times yearly has told me CX services and products have gone downhill lately, but should still be on par or above DL.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Saw a generous C8 on a couple sample dates I checked for premium cabin award availability. Of course, this is a 359 flight, so no F to complain about being unavailable . On a comedic sidenote, I was looking at Seatguru comments about the CX 359 J seats and either row 11 is very bad or the same person (probably a Boeing mole) posted at least a dozen times about the horrors of being seated there.
I don't care for 1am departures, but I know they work for some people and definitely great to have the option.

As for row 11 on the A359 -- all I can say is that on my most recent HKG-SFO on that plane, the guy sitting in 11 complained a lot to the FAs. It is right by the door to the lav and gets both aisle traffic and galley noise/light. Seemed well worth avoiding if you can. The window seats are fantastic and private.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

I don't care for 1am departures, but I know they work for some people and definitely great to have the option.
Just did UA's 11 p.m. SIN departure from LAX (no longer bookable as UA 37 became the second SFO-SIN), and that worked for me. As someone always connecting (I'm not always in YYJ/YVR/SEA area), late departures are great
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just did UA's 11 p.m. SIN departure from LAX (no longer bookable as UA 37 became the second SFO-SIN), and that worked for me. As someone always connecting (I'm not always in YYJ/YVR/SEA area), late departures are great
I, too, like a late departure prior to a long flight. It's dark and I'm tired, so two steps closer to a good in-flight sleep.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Hmmm... seems like AS should really look at joining the OneWorld alliance. Or at least the OW Connect (or whatever it is called) like Fiji Airways is doing.
I would think American Airlines, founding member of oneworld, might have some opinions on allowing a direct competitor on their route network into their alliance, and some influence on who gets alllowed in.

Seems about as likely as OW letting in VS, HX, or VA (if you want examples of competitors to other OW members BA, CX and QF).

FJ isn't flying SFO-JFK and doesn't have a hub in an AA hub (LAX), so that's a bit different, don't you think?

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I think they're totally fantastic because I would much rather have the sleep time on the plane match up with sleep time on my origin on an ex-US outbound, and arrive at my destination at "daytime" and start adjusting while the sun is out at my destination. BR does this and I like it.

Flying over on the ex-US flights that get me into HKG in the evening just makes for nasty jet lag for me. Caviar and Krug in CX F can't fix that.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 20, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I would think American Airlines, founding member of oneworld, might have some opinions on allowing a direct competitor on their route network into their alliance, and some influence on who gets alllowed in.
How much do AA and AS really compete? Even UA was able to aceept US's entry into Star. Same thing with DL over NW and CO's entry into SkyTeam. But even with the new OneWorld Connect program, AS just needs 4 OW sponsors. And AS is losing a lot of intl partners (mainly from SkyTeam) and the new ones they are getting (like Aer Lingus) will eventually be in OneWorld. Personally, AS being a OW member would get me to purchase more tickets with them. And if someone is flying in F AS LAX-SFO/CX SFO-HKG, being in OW allows that passenger to access the OW F lounge at LAX.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Even UA was able to aceept US's entry into Star. Same thing with DL over NW and CO's entry into SkyTeam.
UA accepted it in an environment where there were more majors and far less hub consolidation between majors to turn things into I win so you lose propositions. UA didn't have hubs in most US cities (PHX, PHL, CLT). You can kinda sorta argue DCA/IAD, but AS and AA are direct competitors on a number of routes at LAX, SFO, JFK. California is a very important market for AS and AA. AS expansion there is a direct threat to AA's bottom line the same way WN or UA is.

Same deal with DL and SkyTeam- DL's route overlap with NW/CO wasn't that big in the 2000s. It's nearly 20 years later now. The US3 have very little incentive to be nicer to their competitors than they have to. So I don't see AA letting AS into OW as really any more likely than AS joining UA in *A (SEA has WAY more *A service than OW service, so AS could easily help with feed for LH/OZ/NH/BR).

Personally, AS being a OW member would get me to purchase more tickets with them. And if someone is flying in F AS LAX-SFO/CX SFO-HKG, being in OW allows that passenger to access the OW F lounge at LAX.
Which is sort of the point; why should AA make it easier for you to spend money or get better benefits on a different airline that directly competes on an AA route? They just removed mutual elite recognition from the AS relationship this year, now they're supposed to give it all back and something AS never had (full OW lounge access and other benefits)? The status quo (where AS can have individually negotiated relationships with whoever they want to in OW, but AA doesn't have to extend any OW benefits to AS pax) seems to be just fine for AA. What's in this for AA to change it, who presumably gets some clout and say in who joins OW?
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 20, 2018 at 6:39 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I don't give a darn about whether they join an alliance.
I just want their website to be able to BOOK OR REDEEM TICKETS ON THEIR PARTNERS, in this case, Cathay.
Because as of now, using the website, you can get to Hong Kong via Narita on JAL, or via Dubai on EK.
Sure, I can call in and waste way more time having someone ELSE do my flight searching for me. But 2005 actually already happened, so.... let's get the website caught up! LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.