Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Lounges in SEA Leaving Priority Pass (9/1/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Lounges in SEA Leaving Priority Pass (9/1/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
If it were, why is the thread title “UNSOURCED”?
The post showing the Priority Pass update was posted after @jackal’s post about merging the threads in which they said they’d change the thread title if it was confirmed. All this was in the last five hours or so. So I agree that this is essentially confirmed now. (I’ve used the report post button to suggest a thread title change.)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ashill
The post showing the Priority Pass update was posted after @jackal’s post about merging the threads in which they said they’d change the thread title if it was confirmed. All this was in the last five hours or so. So I agree that this is essentially confirmed now. (I’ve used the report post button to suggest a thread title change.)
Yep, it was showing unconfirmed prior to me posting the screenshot. I did the report earlier but failed to mention it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by BOB W
Truly disappointing and PP does need something on the AS end of the airport.
A Club in Concourse A and one in the South Satellite still leaves PP with much better coverage than what they have at SFO, a far larger airport.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA1K
i can still use the amex lounge in SEA so it won't hurt me that much. i like the LAX lounge but when they have the sign out (almost always) i just go to the UC in T7.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Asked at two lounges today. They said rumor. Checked the person who said they asked via twitter, there is no public response from PP. This is all seeming a little fishy to me.
I have sent 3 Twitter requests to AS to confirm and got no response, so something is not right here. Until an official announcement from AS, I will consider this a rumor. Coming from a blogger is yet another reason as well.
bmvaughn likes this.

Last edited by SEA777GUY; Jul 19, 2018 at 2:11 pm Reason: added
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
I have sent 3 Twitter requests to AS to confirm and got no response, so something is not right here. Until an official announcement from AS, I will consider this a rumor. Coming from a blogger is yet another reason as well.
Priority pass website being updated is more then enough proof at this point.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
The United States is a unique airline market. Three major carriers representing the major alliances plus three big +1s (i.e. AS + B6 +WN) and three big ULCCs (G4+ F9 + NK). The only similar country is China which has half as many big carriers. America also has, probably, the most sophisticated financial markets in the world.

Priority Pass built its business around sending passengers to otherwise empty lounges so everyone benefits; the advent of the CSR made Priority Pass access much more easy to obtain for Americans which has placed a huge burden on PP lounges in the US. Until the ecosystem stabilizes (e.g. more restaurant "lounges" CSR eliminating unlimited guests, etc) it will be difficult to manage.

The big question: will Chase follow Amex and operate CSR lounges?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
The big question: will Chase follow Amex and operate CSR lounges?
That seems unlikely, considering Amex's struggles to obtain or expand space at desirable airports.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by dayone
That seems unlikely, considering Amex's struggles to obtain or expand space at desirable airports.
Depends on whether they play the long game, or the short game. Amex has/will have soon lounges at DEN+DFW+IAH+JFK+LAS+LAX+LGA+PHL+MIA+SEA+SFO. With lounges in DC + Chicago + Boston + Atlanta (maybe not needed due to DL partnership) + Houston + Phoenix (Airspace/Escape?) + Detroit (also with a partner) they'd cover the vast preponderance of US connections. Just half a decade in, that's not too bad!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Not to mention that the effective annual fee on the Chase Sapphire Reserve is much lower than that on the competing Amex Platinum because Amex's travel credit is both smaller ($200 rather than $300) and more restricted (incidental fees from a single airline rather all travel), and the fee is higher to begin with ($550 vs $450). Yes, most FlyerTalkers with that card probably get that full $200 (in part by knowing the ways to game it), but I suspect a good number of Amex Platinum holders don't. With that revenue difference, I find it unlikely that Chase has the revenue from this credit card to justify building their own lounges.

Maybe once the SEA N terminal is finished, AS will have enough space in their large lounge to resume accommodating Priority Pass. But I'm sure they'd much rather sell memberships to the extent they can. And AA will have moved out of SFO T2 in that timeframe, presumably with an Alaska Lounge in the Admirals Club space following shortly thereafter; that will probably make it easier for AS to sell lounge memberships.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
Not to mention that the effective annual fee on the Chase Sapphire Reserve is much lower than that on the competing Amex Platinum because Amex's travel credit is both smaller ($200 rather than $300) and more restricted (incidental fees from a single airline rather all travel), and the fee is higher to begin with ($550 vs $450). Yes, most FlyerTalkers with that card probably get that full $200 (in part by knowing the ways to game it), but I suspect a good number of Amex Platinum holders don't. With that revenue difference, I find it unlikely that Chase has the revenue from this credit card to justify building their own lounges.
Not to mention that AMEX and Chase operate in slightly different realms. AMEX is not only the "marketer" of the cards, but also the issuer/processor, whereas Chase markets the Sapphire cards in a relationship with Visa. AMEX not only has the revenue from annual fees, but can also leverage the merchant processing fees every time one of their cards is used for a transaction, which we also know to be higher than what Visa/MC charge. Chase is splitting that revenue with Visa at some level, probably on both sides, and has enough to worry about with physical branches, a network of ATMs to maintain, maintaining checking accounts, etc etc. Unlikely they'd have the desire to entire the lounge market directly. Would be more likely to see Visa compete w/ AMEX on a lounge network of their own, and offer it as a perk for their top tier (signature, I think?) cards.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Also, Chase's strategy seems to be "we lose money on each credit card application we accept, but we'll make up for it on volume". So I don't see them enriching the benefits by adding additional costs (their own lounges which they would need to rent space for, etc.) on top of what is a money-losing proposition so far. If anything I think they'll cut benefits at some point.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Free agent; tend to fly DL and UA most
Originally Posted by pcoll
Alaska has been promising a much better lounge experience for awhile now. Still, have not seen much except for the introduction of baked cookies instead of boxed cookies .
They have been trying to force frequent travelers to buy memberships for the last few years.. But, Many have given up memberships because of dismal conditions. Wonder if perks given to employees of Microsoft and Amazon include lounge membership?
AMZN employee here. Can't speak for MSFT, but can confirm lounge access is not part our Alaska perks. The AS benefit available to AMZN employees is essentially a one-time fast-track to MVP status, but only on Alaska metal: After flying 2 round trips on AS metal, they increase your YTD Alaska EQM balance to 20K, thereby giving you MVP. Oddly, they don't also increase your YTD Alaska+partner mileage balance. So if (for the sake of a simple example) your YTD Alaska miles and YTD Alaska+partner mileage balances were both 5K, after they up to you to MVP, your YTD Alaska balance would be 20K, but your Alaska+partner balance would still be 5K. Its a cool benefit in that it gets you to MVP quickly and jumpstarts you on your way to MVP Gold, but because of that quirk the additional 20K to get to MVP Gold has to be solely on Alaska metal.
jackal likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by muaddib89
AMZN employee here. Can't speak for MSFT, but can confirm lounge access is not part our Alaska perks. The AS benefit available to AMZN employees is essentially a one-time fast-track to MVP status, but only on Alaska metal: After flying 2 round trips on AS metal, they increase your YTD Alaska EQM balance to 20K, thereby giving you MVP. Oddly, they don't also increase your YTD Alaska+partner mileage balance. So if (for the sake of a simple example) your YTD Alaska miles and YTD Alaska+partner mileage balances were both 5K, after they up to you to MVP, your YTD Alaska balance would be 20K, but your Alaska+partner balance would still be 5K. Its a cool benefit in that it gets you to MVP quickly and jumpstarts you on your way to MVP Gold, but because of that quirk the additional 20K to get to MVP Gold has to be solely on Alaska metal.
Welcome to Flyertalk @muaddib89.

Here's the T&C of the Amazon offer (found via google):

https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS16...-offers:amazon

I can understand AS wanting to restrict to AS metal.
pcoll and muaddib89 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
If AS is expecting PP users to now buy memberships, they should have kept us out of the lounges to start with as having been in all three in SEA, there's nothing that leaves me with any strong inclination to shell out money for a membership, even at a discounted MVPG rate. They're nice for some quiet (most of the time) but I can just go find a corner somewhere and hang out and if I'm thirsty or hungry spend far less on a (better) drink or snack over the course of the year than I would spend on a membership. The food and overall experience just aren't worth it to me, and aren't on par with one of the SEA DL Sky Clubs, which I would consider paying for.

I'll miss the pancake machines, though my blood sugar levels will now probably improve.
BearX220, philemer, jackal and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.