Where the heck are the B Gates??

Old Jul 14, 18, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Where the heck are the B Gates??

Stroll into SEA, check the phone and the board, and our flight to Eugene is leaving out of the B Gates. Huh? Where? We've never been to the B Gates, ever. So we're walking down, headed for B 20, I've got a sore foot so about B 3 I said "this is crazy, there must be a mistake" since all we could see were DL and WN Gates. Asked a DL agent if AS has any Gates in this concourse..."oh no, they are only in C and N" (we didn't want to tell her D, too) - so I told my husband, you go on ahead, and if it's for real I'll come hobbling after. A few minutes later he calls and says, Yup, come on down.

Well B 20 is down an escalator, halfway between the Gates and the train, no man's land. But that wasn't where our plane was, we had to take a bus out to god knows where, I could see United Cargo and Swissport. And there was our plane. All by itself in the middle of nowhere. Why THAT flight out of all the Horizons that day?

Not a rant, not a complaint, just a funny story. Oh, and all the elites on board got chocolate for our "trouble", which was really no trouble at all, just strange.
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS DL
Must be a bus gate. There is construction to make several bus gates near D gates.
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, SPG LT Gold, HH Diamond
The last time I was at the B gates, I visited the Presidents Club, so not a frequent user here either. I’ve only been at a bus gate once, on AA, and they bussed from a D gate which was comparatively close. Nonetheless, added a good 15 minutes to arrival time. Sounds like the same hard stand area where your plane was, near the cargo facilities, and likely to get more common as SEA is short on gates.
Old Jul 15, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I feel your pain! Cruise Season (Seattle is the largest cruise port on the West Coast now) + Major Multiple Construction Projects means you will find new things about SEA that you never knew about I had a flight leave out of an A gate, and of course cleared security up at checkpoint 5, but got a great jump on my steps for the day
Old Jul 15, 18, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
B20 doesn't even show up on the official SeaTac maps...

If it's anything like those temporary N gates, though, I feel your pain...
Old Jul 15, 18, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
B20 doesn't even show up on the official SeaTac maps...

If it's anything like those temporary N gates, though, I feel your pain...
And that's another strange thing! Picture this, I hope I'm describing in properly - picture the overhead signs at the beginning of a concourse: Big overhead sign, Gates B 1-19 illuminated/right next to it on the sign Gates 20 & 21 - not illuminated, which made it even weirder.

It was really not a big deal, but it was fun watching the expression on the faces of almost every person who came in... "WHERE am I?". It was similar to going from American to American Eagle in LAX, but not as congested as going from Alaska to American at LAX, if you've ever had to do either of those.

But the good news is we got to see more food options than we knew before - Sbarro's Pizza, yay!
Old Jul 15, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
But the good news is we got to see more food options than we knew before - Sbarro's Pizza, yay!
This is the first time I've seen someone excited about a Sbarro.
beckoa, cedric, Ripper3785 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 18, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
I know, pathetic. Puck is too expensive.
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post

Old Jul 15, 18, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

See! Some of us like real pizza. I was so jealous watching someone in the waiting area eating their slices, but we had already had lunch.
Old Jul 15, 18, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
If you liked B20 you’ll love the new bus gates at D. Just sayin’.
Old Jul 15, 18, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Always an adventure in Seattle. At least we left on time.

Unlike our flight up there on Friday - 7:45 am flight, they had the ground hold or whatever they call it - they actually let us all deplane in EUG for about half an hour then herded us all back on board.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium
I arrived at a S gate last week. Very weird experience.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

The universe is in turmoil.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
See! Some of us like real pizza. I was so jealous watching someone in the waiting area eating their slices, but we had already had lunch.
Having flown regularly on WN out of SEA, I am very familiar with Sbarro! For a number of years, it was the cheapest meal at the airport (slice, salad, and drink) for about $7! Unfortunately, the price went up a couple of years ago -- but still cheaper than other pizza at the airport.

That said, I was just down there flying WN at the end of the B concourse last week. I didn't notice the "new" gates, but I did notice more people that usual going down the escalator (now I know the REST of the story).

Search this Thread