FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   No mobile boarding passes from YLW or YYJ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1919402-no-mobile-boarding-passes-ylw-yyj.html)

ashill Jul 11, 2018 4:26 pm

No mobile boarding passes from YLW or YYJ

Through April, I routinely got mobile boarding passes for departures from YLW/Kelowna. (After the Trump administration-mandated security questions started early this year, the security contractors would do their quiz at the gate and put the sticker on my passport before boarding.) The last two times I've checked in, I've had to go to a kiosk. Today, I got the message "You are all checked in for your flight. For security reasons, you'll need to get your boarding pass at an airport kiosk." both through the web and the app. I don't think it's SSSS; it wasn't last time (out of YYJ/Victoria). I asked Alaska about it on Twitter, and they said

for YYJ and YLW a paper boarding pass is usually required
This adds about 15 minutes to the time I need to allot at the airport, both because the entrance from the parking lot is right by security but it's a 3 minute walk each way from there to the ticket counter and the check-in lines can be a bit long. (At YYJ, the kiosks were disabled because you had to wait in line to talk to the security contractors; the kiosks were outside the area roped off for the questioning.) Obviously not a huge deal -- YLW is still a very convenient airport -- but frustrating and, as far as I can tell, unnecessary.

Has anyone else gotten a mobile or web boarding pass recently out of these airports? Presumably it's Canadian airports without US Customs preclearance.

ETA: see below: this was SSSS for one member of the traveling party, which always requires getting a paper boarding pass at the airport on any airline. There were others on my flight with mobile boarding passes and print at home boarding passes, so no apparent policy change.

obnoxoid Jul 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Wasn't able to get a mobile boarding pass from YVR recently, and that airport has preclearance. Working off iOS if that helps.

ashill Jul 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by obnoxoid (Post 29963994)
Wasn't able to get a mobile boarding pass from YVR recently, and that airport has preclearance. Working off iOS if that helps.

OK. Annoying. (I'm on iOS too, but same issue through a desktop browser; no print-at-home boarding pass either.)

Flying for Fun Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29964229)
OK. Annoying. (I'm on iOS too, but same issue through a desktop browser; no print-at-home boarding pass either.)

Are you checking any luggage?

James

ashill Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 29964437)
Are you checking any luggage?

James

No.

missamo80 Jul 11, 2018 9:45 pm

YYC doesn't support mobile boarding passes either.

Neil

Flying for Fun Jul 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29964552)

No.

I fly from YLW, last flight June 3rd. For the last year or so I would not get a mobile boarding pass if I tried to add checked bags during check-in but would if I didn't. I would just wait to get to the airport to check my bags or just go through security and confirm my Passport at the gate if I wasn't checking bags.

I have Nexus and Global Entry and my KTN is in my profile so my experience may be different. I have had times where the info in my profile wasn't populated into the reservation but an agent was able to update that.

Either way, once you are checked in with an agent after verifying your international documentation you should be able to check in again to see your flight(s) to SEA and beyond.

James

ashill Jul 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 29964731)
I fly from YLW, last flight June 3rd. For the last year or so I would not get a mobile boarding pass if I tried to add checked bags during check-in but would if I didn't. I would just wait to get to the airport to check my bags or just go through security and confirm my Passport at the gate if I wasn't checking bags.

I have Nexus and Global Entry and my KTN is in my profile so my experience may be different. I have had times where the info in my profile wasn't populated into the reservation but an agent was able to update that.

Either way, once you are checked in with an agent after verifying your international documentation you should be able to check in again to see your flight(s) to SEA and beyond.

James

I too have NEXUS and Global Entry (just got NEXUS; have had Global Entry for years; Known Traveler Number in the reservation and I always get PreCheck). I don’t care about mobile boarding passes once I’ve gotten a paper boarding pass; the reason I care about it is to skip the ticket counter, a factor which makes me comfortable aiming to arrive at the airport 50-55 minutes before departure (versus 70 when checked in but without a mobile boarding pass given the 60 minute check in cutoff time).

Hopefully this is just a two-times-in-a-row glitch, but Alaska’s Twitter response makes me fear it’s a change.

Flying for Fun Jul 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29964764)

I too have NEXUS and Global Entry (just got NEXUS; have had Global Entry for years; Known Traveler Number in the reservation and I always get PreCheck). I don’t care about mobile boarding passes once I’ve gotten a paper boarding pass; the reason I care about it is to skip the ticket counter, a factor which makes me comfortable aiming to arrive at the airport 50-55 minutes before departure (versus 70 when checked in but without a mobile boarding pass given the 60 minute check in cutoff time).

Hopefully this is just a two-times-in-a-row glitch, but Alaska’s Twitter response makes me fear it’s a change.

I hear you! The whole process is a PITA. Entering the US is easier via Marine or International Air from countries other than Canada.

In April I had to deal with a family medical emergency and booked a one-way YLW-SEA-LAS while online check-in was already open. Despite Nexus, I was flagged with the dreaded "SSSS"

James

EmailKid Jul 12, 2018 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 29964784)
I hear you! The whole process is a PITA. Entering the US is easier via Marine or International Air from countries other than Canada.

In April I had to deal with a family medical emergency and booked a one-way YLW-SEA-LAS while online check-in was already open. Despite Nexus, I was flagged with the dreaded "SSSS"

James

Yes,

Victoria Clipper in Seattle is a piece of cake :)

Did not try for mobile for tomorrow's YYJ-SEA but home printer worked just fine ^

D582 Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29963929)
Through April, I routinely got mobile boarding passes for departures from YLW/Kelowna. (After the Trump administration-mandated security questions started early this year, the security contractors would do their quiz at the gate and put the sticker on my passport before boarding.) The last two times I've checked in, I've had to go to a kiosk. Today, I got the message "You are all checked in for your flight. For security reasons, you'll need to get your boarding pass at an airport kiosk." both through the web and the app. I don't think it's SSSS; it wasn't last time (out of YYJ/Victoria). I asked Alaska about it on Twitter, and they said

This adds about 15 minutes to the time I need to allot at the airport, both because the entrance from the parking lot is right by security but it's a 3 minute walk each way from there to the ticket counter and the check-in lines can be a bit long. (At YYJ, the kiosks were disabled because you had to wait in line to talk to the security contractors; the kiosks were outside the area roped off for the questioning.) Obviously not a huge deal -- YLW is still a very convenient airport -- but frustrating and, as far as I can tell, unnecessary.

Has anyone else gotten a mobile or web boarding pass recently out of these airports? Presumably it's Canadian airports without US Customs preclearance.

Originally Posted by obnoxoid (Post 29963994)

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 29964657)
YYC doesn't support mobile boarding passes either.

Neil

This seems like an AS-specific problem. I fly Air Canada between Canada and US all the time and have no issues getting mobile boarding passes, or using check-in kiosks. They also do not ask any additional 'security questions'.

ashill Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

It turned out that SSSS was a factor here; the one of the three of us on the reservation without NEXUS had a lucky day. SSSS of course always inhibits mobile boarding passes, so maybe there isn’t a policy change after all and my YYJ inability to get a mobile boarding pass last month was a one-off thing.

ashill Jul 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 29966706)
This seems like an AS-specific problem. I fly Air Canada between Canada and US all the time and have no issues getting mobile boarding passes, or using check-in kiosks. They also do not ask any additional 'security questions'.

The security questions are required by the Trump administration for all international flights to the US, though airports with US Customs preclearance may be an exception. Have you ever flown Air Canada to the US from an airport without preclearance? (I can’t thibk of any AC flights to the US without preclearance. They don’t fly to the US from YLW for sure.)

Flying for Fun Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29967040)
It turned out that SSSS was a factor here; the one of the three of us on the reservation without NEXUS had a lucky day. SSSS of course always inhibits mobile boarding passes, so maybe there isn’t a policy change after all and my YYJ inability to get a mobile boarding pass last month was a one-off thing.

SSSS is a crappy experience, especially arriving internationally into SEA. It is a horror story at the best of times. With TSA Pre I always go landside and then clear security through Pre Check upstairs. Did you originally try to check-in each pax separately? That would have signaled out the "offending" pax. When I have a non Nexus companion on my PRN, TSA Pre is always extended to that passenger too.

James

tusphotog Jul 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 29967046)

The security questions are required by the Trump administration for all international flights to the US, though airports with US Customs preclearance may be an exception. Have you ever flown Air Canada to the US from an airport without preclearance? (I can’t thibk of any AC flights to the US without preclearance. They don’t fly to the US from YLW for sure.)

Westjet allows mobile BPs out of YYC, YEG and YVR on US-Bound flights. Not sure why AS doesn’t allow it; but the folks in Calgary the other day said it was an “equipment” issue there. Whatever that means.

Thankfully AS is never that busy at the Canadian airports so the paper BP thing isn’t too long. Never takes more than five minutes at YYC, IME.

On a somewhat related note, I had SSSS on my AY HEL-SFO flight and the Finnish security officers were exceptional. The whole process took about three minutes and included several jokes from them about the TSA.