FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Luggage Tag lookup? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1919384-luggage-tag-lookup.html)

sea_flyer_17 Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Luggage Tag lookup?

We flew Condor to YVR then connected to AS to SEA 3 days ago, but our bags can’t be found. AS says they were loaded onto plane in YVR but haven’t been seen since. They keep claiming maybe tags fell off, but I find that hard to believe on two bags.

I have another call in to talk to agent, but any advice?

It is a 2 hour plus delay on any call into Central Baggage and they seem at a loss. I’ve talked to Vancouver and Seattle AS Baggage offices who show plane side upload but they haven’t seen it since. As per AS rep advice in YVR, we had actually checked with Condor there while in Vancouver, and they had confirmed in YVR when we were there they had already handed it off.

Also, Unlike other airlines I can’t find a way to track status or lookup tag numbers online (via worldtracer or nettracer. Does AS not have an online tool for bag lookup?)

Thanks.

missamo80 Jul 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Alaska does not have an online baggage tracking tool. They have a 20 minute service bag guarantee so I guess they think they don't need one?

Neil

3Cforme Jul 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 29963769)
Alaska does not have an online baggage tracking tool.

Does Alaska really not use WorldTracer?

sea_flyer_17 Jul 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Their emails come from nettracer but I couldn’t find a way to check status online

beckoa Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Best of luck to you.

I've checked hundreds of bags, and it finally caught up with me. Nonstop ANC-KOA cooler was offloaded for w&b.

I never saw it again.

AS did take care of it however.

3Cforme Jul 12, 2018 4:43 am

Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17 (Post 29963840)
Their emails come from nettracer but I couldn’t find a way to check status online

I've never tried Nettracer across carriers (knock on wood, my baggage incidents have been few) but maybe you can find your bag from this Southwest site:

https://live.nettracer.aero/southwest-paxview/login.do

Often1 Jul 12, 2018 6:51 am

General advice is to stop calling. It will not speed up the location of your bags and nobody is proactively looking for them. It is simply a waste of your time and contributes to high(er) blood pressure. Whether Condor or AS misplaced the bags, it is AS, as the final delivering carrier which has the financial responsibility to you.

The bags are covered by the Montreal Convention and thus you may purchase necessities and be reimbursed for them, Presuming that each of you checked a bag under your own name, if the bags are not located and delivered to you within 20 days, they are deemed lost and AS must pay out the fair market value of the bags and contents up to a maximum of $1,650 per passenger (less any reimbursements for necessities). If the bags happened to be checked under one passenger, the total will be $1,650.

Chugach Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 29964749)
Best of luck to you.

I've checked hundreds of bags, and it finally caught up with me. Nonstop ANC-KOA cooler was offloaded for w&b.

I never saw it again.

AS did take care of it however.

If the cooler was full of beer that might explain why you never saw it again.

I check bags probably 50% of the time on AS and rarely have an issue. When I do, it’s always shown up on the next flight.

sea_flyer_17 Jul 13, 2018 9:59 pm

What happens after 5 days with no sighting and statement of loss faxed in? At what point do they switch to money mode vs looking and how do they account for value of unique gifts purchased vs actual cost?

beckoa Jul 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17 (Post 29971967)
What happens after 5 days with no sighting and statement of loss faxed in? At what point do they switch to money mode vs looking and how do they account for value of unique gifts purchased vs actual cost?

AS does ask for receipts... not sure about itemized gifts.

No, I did not have beer in my cooler, was rather empty as I was heading south. Just a couple things inside.

be_rettSEA Jul 16, 2018 8:16 am

Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17 (Post 29971967)

About 10 years ago both my dad and my bags were "delayed" out of SAN to SEA, and never seen again. I suspect the GPS in his bag and bottles of nice wine from my brother's wedding in mine may have had something to do with it. If they're still using the same process, they'll provide you a template to itemize your belongings with lots of details (date purchased, store purchased, size, color, price, etc). The page they provided didn't have enough room, so I used an Excel sheet, sure to include EVERYTHING in my bag (tweezers, toothbrush, etc). At the time, anything valued over $99 required a receipt, or that became the cap on what could be claimed, with a total limit up to $3000. They said they use the inventory you provide to help locate the bag, but my guess is they use that to determine whether they've spent enough time/resources on hunting for your bag that its easier/cheaper to just cut you a check.

I don't believe they have a way to account for something that holds more value to you than the purchase price, but you may be able to pad the value a bit on other items that are below the $99 mark to help compensate. I wouldn't go crazy and claim $90 pairs of underwear if they were only $8, but there's definitely some room to help account for value you find that AS may not.

sea_flyer_17 Sep 9, 2018 7:52 am

I realized I never followed up. Our bags came at day 9. They handled it well, generous on e-certs and paid intermediate expenses in full and promptly.