Does the App actually work for ANYTHING?

Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Does the App actually work for ANYTHING?

So I've just about had it with the Alaska iPhone App.

I get constant "notifications" on my lock screen. That's great. But when I slide them open and unlock my phone, all they do is take me to the app, where there's no notification to read. I mean, 3-5 notifications per flight leg, with ZERO actual information to find out what the notification was supposed to be about. An upgrade? Now boarding? Flight cancelled? NOBODY KNOWS!

Now, the app won't even check me in for a flight. I get to the page where I select bags to check, and whether I check a bag or no bags, the app immediately crashes and closes out.

So, at this point Alaska, your app is useless to me.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I have the iPhone app and have none of those issues.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Turn off AS notifications on your phone and select text updates for your flights.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:00 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Bizarre. Have you tried uninstalling and re-downloading the app? What kind of phone do you use?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:31 pm

i get the same issues on my andoird phone. "Your flight to PDX is now..." open the app to no updated info
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
To answer the op’s question, yes, the app does work for some things.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I just checked in today using the app. So it works for at least one thing for one person. I also don’t have bogus notifications; mine work.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:02 am

the notifications aren't bogus, its just that there is no place in the app to read the notifications once you get into the app
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
the notifications aren't bogus, its just that there is no place in the app to read the notifications once you get into the app
​​​​​​​The notifications I get are:

You can check in to your flight to XXX
Your flight to XXX leaves at XX:XX
Your flight to XXX is boarding from gate XX
Your flight XXX will now operate from San Jose
Your seat has changed to 39B

Except for the check in notification, Im not sure what looking at the app accomplishes after getting these notifications.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Your seat has changed to 39B

Except for the check in notification, Im not sure what looking at the app accomplishes after getting these notifications.
Is 39B on the wing?
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
Which pretty much makes them bogus notifications... since there's no text in the notification, just "NOTIFICATION," and nowhere in the app to read a notification, so..... BOGUS.

To answer other peoples' questions, it's an iPhone 6s+, and yeah I've reinstalled it. I had the same issues on my old 5s though.
And yeah, rereading what I wrote yesterday, it was a tad dramatic. But I was frustrated.
As crappy an airline as United was, I must say that their app was generally FANTASTIC.
I can't even get the Alaska app to let me buy first class upgrades at check in... I have to go to a PC and re-check in for that. (which, as an MVP, awkwardly re-price to $0 once I try to 'buy' them).

Thanks for your comments, all, and I'll try to check out some of the suggestions you've made.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:35 pm

My notifications are "your flight is now departing from..."
" your flight is now departing at"
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Legend717
...since there's no text in the notification, just "NOTIFICATION," and nowhere in the app to read a notification, so..... BOGUS.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if a "Your flight XXX to YYY is boarding from gate XX" notification is on the lock screen of your phone, why do you need to see it in the app? Wouldn't it be the same thing, just with one or two additional screens to navigate through?

Do you have previews when unlocked turned on?

Originally Posted by beckoa
Is 39B on the wing?
No. Horizontal stab. That seat's a drag.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Android person here. Both the notification features and the app seem to work fine for me.
Are you under the impression that the notification is telling you to go to the app for your message ? That's not how it works. The notification is to tell you that you have a notification. Swipe down on the notification bar to see the message as well as messages from other apps.
The example of "Your flight XXX to YYY is boarding from gate XX" is the full extent of the notice. Quick and easy note to me without my having to go into the app.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steve64
Android person here. Both the notification features and the app seem to work fine for me.
Are you under the impression that the notification is telling you to go to the app for your message ? That's not how it works. The notification is to tell you that you have a notification. Swipe down on the notification bar to see the message as well as messages from other apps.
The example of "Your flight XXX to YYY is boarding from gate XX" is the full extent of the notice. Quick and easy note to me without my having to go into the app.
True, but if you touch the notification, it opens up the Alaska app. In android, you can supress the actual notification text and the notification would just say you have something from Alaska. Touching that would not show the notification in the Alaska app when it opens. It can create some confusion.

Not sure if Apple works the same way.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.