Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska no longer handle 20min baggage claims over email?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska no longer handle 20min baggage claims over email?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
I’m still waiting for AS to acknowledge our baggage guarantee claim from 16 May (SEA-DAL, AS3316) after two emails; have also submitted another claim this morning for last night (SEA-IAD, AS1080)
email from AS Customer Service:
“I am pleased to make a one-time exception to add the miles into you and < your wife’s > accounts for the May request and for today's request. The Baggage Service Guarantee does require the traveler to obtain a voucher from the baggage office where the delay of more then 20 minutes has occurred. This voucher is able to then be redeemed online and assists the baggage department with their record keeping. Please be sure to request the voucher anytime in the future that you or she are experiencing a delay of this kind.”

my reply:
“Thank you for the prompt resolution ... while I understand the way Alaska has designed the baggage guarantee claim process, please note that it’s not really a customer-friendly process: when a passenger has ALREADY waited longer than expected, the need to find a baggage service agent to process a voucher adds MORE time to an already extended trip (in May our flight was already ~30 min late and we had a 3-hour nighttime drive to our actual destination; last year an agent at BWI explicitly told me she didn’t know where the forms were!).”
ashill and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

“I am pleased to make a one-time exception to add the miles into you and < your wife’s > accounts for the May request and for today's request. The Baggage Service Guarantee does require the traveler to obtain a voucher from the baggage office where the delay of more then 20 minutes has occurred. This voucher is able to then be redeemed online and assists the baggage department with their record keeping. Please be sure to request the voucher anytime in the future that you or she are experiencing a delay of this kind.”

Yeah, that was more or less the response I got from Twitter, except they declined to make the one-time exception, asking us to get the voucher from the airport instead. (I think they had given me that warning before.)

my reply:
“Thank you for the prompt resolution ... while I understand the way Alaska has designed the baggage guarantee claim process, please note that it’s not really a customer-friendly process: when a passenger has ALREADY waited longer than expected, the need to find a baggage service agent to process a voucher adds MORE time to an already extended trip (in May our flight was already ~30 min late and we had a 3-hour nighttime drive to our actual destination; last year an agent at BWI explicitly told me she didn’t know where the forms were!).”
Spot on. This is an unnecessarily and sillily customer-unfriendly process for applying a customer-friendly policy. It's hard for me to interpret as anything but AS deliberately making it hard to claim the baggage guarantee.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:30 pm

What is the actual policy on times? Do you need to show when your bag comes off? I have never bothered collecting the voucher since even if my bag is 30 minutes, it doesn’t seem worth the hassle. A lady on one of my flights says she collects them on most flights. If any bags are still coming out after 20 minutes she just goes to claim the voucher. She didn’t say if her bag had already come out, just if any are still coming out she claims the voucher.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

my reply:
You left Delta. Care to contrast this process with Delta's Baggage Guarantee claim in the app?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS
We have gone to AS Baggage Office when our bags were 30 minutes. (June 14. The service agent in baggage office said she would not give voucher. Employee who does it was at lunch. She told me to apply online for the credit. So, it seems AS is not consistent with policy or, as many have reported, no baggage service agent anywhere to be found.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You left Delta. Care to contrast this process with Delta's Baggage Guarantee claim in the app?
Delta lets you request in the app -- you have some like 3 days to enter the request. Miles post in a couple days max. There's no manual intervention required if the bag scans validate the claim. The bag tag number is tied to the PNR. They have the plane's arrival time and bag's scan to the carousel against the bag tag number. It's fully automated.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by channa
Delta lets you request in the app -- you have some like 3 days to enter the request. Miles post in a couple days max. There's no manual intervention required if the bag scans validate the claim. The bag tag number is tied to the PNR. They have the plane's arrival time and bag's scan to the carousel against the bag tag number. It's fully automated.

...well except that someone needs to file the claim first. That part is manual
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by fishywang
It's usually not easy to find an Alaska agent on the baggage claim area at SFO or SJC, so I usually just go home, send an email (or use the online form) to claim my miles. This time I did the same thing but they replied my email asking me to call the Central Baggage Service at 1-877-815-8253. The call went smoothly, it's just some added hassle
I don't know about SJC. It may matter which terminal at SFO. At Int'l, office with vouchers is just a few feet down the hall outside carousel area. At T2, it's along the inside wall, as with most airports. In any case, I rarely find need to request a voucher - didn't realize it could be done any way other than in person - since guaranteed time usually met (and I almost always check a bag).

What about the baggage rep with the barcode reader - at least at SEA - where they "clock in" as many bags as they can arriving down the chute? AS knows if they are on time or not, by the bag.

Per a suggestion from FT, I sometimes start a timer on my phone when the forward door opens, then check it when bag arrives. Once I showed timer to a baggage agent - she was a bit surprised, but handed me the voucher.

Once, at PHL, the bags were so late that the agent stood at the carousel to hand out the vouchers. But that's a small operation for AS.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by akdancer
I don't know about SJC. It may matter which terminal at SFO. At Int'l, office with vouchers is just a few feet down the hall outside carousel area. At T2, it's along the inside wall, as with most airports. In any case, I rarely find need to request a voucher - didn't realize it could be done any way other than in person - since guaranteed time usually met (and I almost always check a bag).

What about the baggage rep with the barcode reader - at least at SEA - where they "clock in" as many bags as they can arriving down the chute? AS knows if they are on time or not, by the bag.

Per a suggestion from FT, I sometimes start a timer on my phone when the forward door opens, then check it when bag arrives. Once I showed timer to a baggage agent - she was a bit surprised, but handed me the voucher.

Once, at PHL, the bags were so late that the agent stood at the carousel to hand out the vouchers. But that's a small operation for AS.
I do the same, hence my recent post in the bag guarantee thread.

Edited to add: I've gained around 15k+ miles at SFO in the last 4 months by doing this...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by akdancer
If I check a bag, I usually start my timer as soon as the seatbelt light turns off, as that indicates we've arrived, and ground crews are starting their work to unload bags. It's only maybe a minute or so until the door opens, but I've used the stopwatch to show agents in the past as well. Most of the time, though, I just grab my bag and go on my way, and find my stopwatch running 23 days later.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
You left Delta. ...
not 100% true; more importantly < and unsurprisingly > completely irrelevant
Care to contrast this process with Delta's Baggage Guarantee claim in the app?
I haven’t checked a bag on DL since they put the guarantee policy/process in place
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by missamo80
Ask them via DM on Twitter.
The Twitter team has told me to go ask an employee at baggage claim before so I wouldn't always count on this
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
“I am pleased to make a one-time exception to add the miles into you and < your wife’s > accounts for the May request and for today's request...”

I got a similar reply last month. In my case I’d flown into ATL, there was no AS baggage office, and I didn’t want to tie up the check-in counter agents who were dealing with long lines. They still said, “you should have found someone at the airport.”

my reply:
“Thank you for the prompt resolution ... while I understand the way Alaska has designed the baggage guarantee claim process, please note that it’s not really a customer-friendly process: when a passenger has ALREADY waited longer than expected, the need to find a baggage service agent to process a voucher adds MORE time to an already extended trip.”
Let’s be honest here — I’m pretty sure this is by design.

PDXPremier and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
If I check a bag, I usually start my timer as soon as the seatbelt light turns off, as that indicates we've arrived, and ground crews are starting their work to unload bags. It's only maybe a minute or so until the door opens, but I've used the stopwatch to show agents in the past as well. Most of the time, though, I just grab my bag and go on my way, and find my stopwatch running 23 days later.
I always just used the "Arrived" time posted in the app (which should be the time the brakes are set), and then use the official airport time on the monitor at the carousel. This assumes the screen with the carousel assignments shows a time, but I figure that gives me two official times to compare against, neither of which I generated myself.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I run a stopwatch (on phone) from the chime of the brake, until I see both my bags come off the belt.
pcoll and rustykettel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.