Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Will Losing Status Affect Booked Regular Gold Upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

If I book a flight now when I am Gold and use a GGU, but at the time of flight (next year) I'll just be MVP, I'm still locked into the F ticket?

What about if it is not a GGU, but just a regular Gold upgrade?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
As long as you don’t make any changes to the ticket, you should be okay. Any change that results in a reissue would probably boot you out of F.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
As long as you don’t make any changes to the ticket, you should be okay. Any change that results in a reissue would probably boot you out of F.
The above is true for a regular Gold upgrade; it should stick provided you (or AS) don’t make any changes requiring a reissue. However with all the schedule changes we seem to get nowadays, I wouldn’t count on it. Or unless (until?) AS updates their IT system to automatically revoke the comp upgrade when status drops. Fortunately, that hasn’t happened yet.

If you use a GGU, it will 100% stick as GGU’s aren’t tied to, nor do they require, any status. If you do get a schedule change, they should be able to honor the GGU’d upgrade and keep you in F provided there is still F space. That has always been my experience. If you make a voluntary change though, you will lose the upgrade and you won’t be able to get the GGU back as only Golds can request this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'll just have to take my chances - the regular Gold was the same price as the GGU (which does not always happen) so I used the regular Gold, will save the GGU for something else.

I'm going to hate not being MVPG anymore
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Thanks all. I'll just have to take my chances - the regular Gold was the same price as the GGU (which does not always happen) so I used the regular Gold, will save the GGU for something else.

I hear ya! While I am already good for 2019, every year I wonder if my flying will change and I won't get enough BIS to make Gold. I always qualify solely on AS metal but with the dearth of U space these days, I have been forced to buy F. And when I do, I will take a cheaper, more convenient option. I already have two flights in September on other airlines just for this reason although I am already at 40k AS for this year so it was a no-brainer. I have always been fiercely loyal to AS despite cost and convenience but the lack of U space has caused me to cheat on Chester a bit. The big motivation to keep Gold is the change fee waiver, for me anyway.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

The last time I was able to earn MVPG was back during the double EQM promotions for DTW and SLC...without those, it's just too difficult although MVP is better than nothing and yes, I still get upgraded (even companion upgrades which technically isn't suppose to happen).
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I understand; I may be in the same boat. Having been laid off and unemployed for several months killed my travel plans for this year. Happily, I'm employed again and I'm starting to regroup and focus on traveling. I might still make MVPG for next year but it seems unlikely.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

We did it because we really tried to do it - traveling monthly, all leisure, making extra hops when we didn't need to - but that is hard to sustain, and while I'm not complaining about all the places we went, when you add up all those hotel nights that we didn't "have" to take you wonder if it's Fool's Gold.

Even as Golds, we almost never get upgraded anymore, if I don't lock us in with a time-of-booking upgrade it never happens, which is fine as long as we are in the exit row, but even THAT has become a cluster recently.

The year after next we'll start using up our miles.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

The last time I was able to earn MVPG was back during the double EQM promotions for DTW and SLC...without those, it's just too difficult although MVP is better than nothing and yes, I still get upgraded (even companion upgrades which technically isn't suppose to happen).
DTW was 3x EQM - a once in a lifetime experience that I exploited quite rigorously.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave1013
DTW was 3x EQM - a once in a lifetime experience that I exploited quite rigorously.
That was the first year I became Gold, too - that was fun.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
We did it because we really tried to do it - traveling monthly, all leisure, making extra hops when we didn't need to - but that is hard to sustain, and while I'm not complaining about all the places we went, when you add up all those hotel nights that we didn't "have" to take you wonder if it's Fool's Gold.

Even as Golds, we almost never get upgraded anymore, if I don't lock us in with a time-of-booking upgrade it never happens, which is fine as long as we are in the exit row, but even THAT has become a cluster recently.

The year after next we'll start using up our miles.
Do you have plans of what you would like to do with your miles? Two years is a long time to hold AS Miles as AS is well overdue for a partner devaluation. I am 75K (90K with partners) reaching that in October last year. I will agree that it is a lot of flying. Last year I reached MVPG in May while this year I have yet to reach MVP. Maintaining Status is even more difficult if you are also flying on awards too.

With the miles we had accumulated I booked J & F awards for a 2 month RTW itinerary that started on January 1st and we returned home on March 1st after flying over 50K miles with only a handful of EQM.

I have 37 flights booked between August & November on AS & AS partners, crossing the Pacific 5 times and the Atlantic once. I know I am crazy but love to be Flying for Fun. lol

James
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I requalified for 75K in late 2016, but it took ages for my status to reflect that change and my status went back down to Gold until they could update things. I still managed to get my upgrades based on my old status, but they had to go in and change all the rest of my reservations (booked in the first few days of the new year) to reflect my 75K. So, unless you make changes, they should stick with your old status.

I am behind by about 12K for this year thanks to three cancelled sea-was trips due to older parent issues I will make 75K (mostly. work travel), but I dread any extra flying that I have to do beyond the work travel especially in the last part of the year.

Bonne chance.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
I thought I'd dig up this thread to ask a related question about companion upgrades.

I'm Gold right now but will only be MVP next year (I'll be about 10k short, not worth the mileage runs for me). We're booking a trip last weekend of January, and to book into Main and upgrade to Premium Class would be about $240 total, while booking into a Premium Class upgrade fare is only $120. What do you think the chances are of us getting bumped out of Premium due to the companion upgrade after my status drops to MVP? I'm guessing pretty low but just curious if anyone has any firsthand experience.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by pbelmore
What do you think the chances are of us getting bumped out of Premium due to the companion upgrade after my status drops to MVP? I'm guessing pretty low but just curious if anyone has any firsthand experience.
Chances are 0% for getting bumped out due to status drop.

What are the chances of losing the PC seat due to aircraft swap/renumbering/reconfigurations? Noticibly more than 0%, sadly.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by pbelmore
I thought I'd dig up this thread to ask a related question about companion upgrades.

I'm Gold right now but will only be MVP next year (I'll be about 10k short, not worth the mileage runs for me). We're booking a trip last weekend of January, and to book into Main and upgrade to Premium Class would be about $240 total, while booking into a Premium Class upgrade fare is only $120. What do you think the chances are of us getting bumped out of Premium due to the companion upgrade after my status drops to MVP? I'm guessing pretty low but just curious if anyone has any firsthand experience.
You should be fine as long as nothing changes. I'd be hesitant to change seats, etc., but as long as no equipment swaps or other craziness happens, you should be fine.
pbelmore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.