Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Newbie - Points and companion pass on same booking?

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

Ive been flying SouthWest for a couple of years now for work, but ocassionally book with Alaska because of route, schedule, price. I decided to spring for the credit card attracted primarily by the companion fare offer and the first free checked bag. Since we make an annual cross-country trip (SAN-BOS), Alaskas non-stop route is very attractive.

All of that to lead into my question about booking a Hawaii trip, maybe this fall, if everything falls into place OK. We will clear our spend requirement on our first billing cycle.

How long until I receive the 30k and the companion fare code?

Also, can I use the companion fare when the primary fare is booked with points?

I assume that I need to book this as a round-trip journey in order to make best use of the companion fare (Im used to SouthWest where I book every leg as a one-way for flexibility and refaring purposes.)

Any other quick tips and tricks that I should be aware of?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
The primary fare has to be a paid fare so you can't book it using miles. And yes, you'll want to book round trip to get the best value out of the companion cert. As for your question about how long the 30k bonus and companion fare code take to post I'll leave that to those with more recent experience. It's been a very long time since I got my card.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
The primary fare has to be a paid fare so you can't book it using miles. And yes, you'll want to book round trip to get the best value out of the companion cert. As for your question about how long the 30k bonus and companion fare code take to post I'll leave that to those with more recent experience. It's been a very long time since I got my card.
The 30K bonus plus spend should post within a week of the closing date of your BofA account in the month you have met the requirement . When it does post to Mileage Plan it will be dated on the account closing date.

James
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
The primary fare has to be a paid fare so you can't book it using miles.
And just to throw it out there before it's asked, it has to be a paid fare that is booked from Alaska's site, not from a third party like AMEX where points could be used and it shows as a "paid" ticket. The companion fare is issued as a discount code, and my experience matches that above with regard to timing. Would absolutely use for a round-trip to maximize the value.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.