Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DAL-LGA on E175

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

DAL-LGA on E175

I have a companion fare that is expiring next month and my spouse and I were thinking about using it to to take a fall quick trip to NYC. I noticed this route is being discontinued late Oct, so we will have to fly prior to that, but my question is regarding the size of the plane. I have never flown on a E175 before and wondering how they do with turbulence and take off/landing. I'm not a frantic flyer, but it does make me a bit anxious anytime I feel anything on a plane. I have heard a lot of great reviews about how fantastic these planes are, I'm just a little concerned with it being a smaller plane and what that will mean for how much you feel during a flight because of that fact, if that makes sense? If it helps we have typically flown with WN in the past, so that is the type of metal I am used to when flying. The only thing I can compare this type of metal to is an inter island flight we took with HA on their Boeing 717 just recently, and I believe the E175 is even smaller than that? I was happy that flight was only 45 min so trying to figure out if I can stomach a 3.5- 4 hr flight. If it's not that bad, then where would you guys suggest we sit in economy? Or is it worth it to try and upgrade (with miles) to F? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the E75 is a **great** airplane ... there are no bad seats since it's 2x2 throughout the coach cabin ... that said, the Premium seats (rows 6,7,8) have a couple extra inches of legroom, and of course F is always an additional step up in terms of room

in terms of ride quality you shouldn't really notice much difference (full disclosure: I've never been aft of Row 9) ... the only down side I can think of is that the Premium seats don't have power outlets (this may not be fleet-wide)
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:54 pm

I really love the E175 when I flew it- much prefer it to the Boeing planes. It is smooth like a larger jet, boards super fast, and has nice big windows. Only ding is they don't have USB ports the Boeing planes do up front but everything else is much better.

I haven't actually flown it in economy on Alaska (upgrades seem to -always- clear on these planes), but I've flown the E190's on JetBlue and the seats are great- over a full inch wider than the typical Boeing plane and there's not a bad seat in the house.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by bkojote
I really love the E175 when I flew it- much prefer it to the Boeing planes. It is smooth like a larger jet, boards super fast, and has nice big windows. Only ding is they don't have USB ports the Boeing planes do up front but everything else is much better.

I haven't actually flown it in economy on Alaska (upgrades seem to -always- clear on these planes), but I've flown the E190's on JetBlue and the seats are great- over a full inch wider than the typical Boeing plane and there's not a bad seat in the house.
The windows are nice but they are spaced a little far apart. I was in 6A last night; you have a window at your shoulder to look behind out of, and a window far ahead you have to lean forward to look out of. So, depends on the spacing of your seat.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:00 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Bumpiness on takeoff / landing and turbulence really have nothing to do with the plane -- it's primarily dependent on the weather. The E75 is a nice plane, but will still be subject to the same concerns you may have about any other plane. That being said, the E75 generally flies at the same altitude as a 737, so it tends to encounter fewer weather issues than planes like the Q400 that have a lower ceiling. But in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter if you're flying on a 747 or a Cessna.....when it's bumpy, it's bumpy.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Agree with others. Have had a few flights on E175s and (aside from lack of power outlets, except in First Class on some aircraft) I generally found them to be at least as/if not more comfortable, quiet, and smooth as flights on Alaska's mainline aircraft. Normal size carry on bags fit in overhead bins, too. Only downsides to me were: lack of mainline AS staff (a bit lower service standards in my experience), occasional boarding/deplaning outside instead of a jetbridge and slightly smaller lavatories. Other than those minor things, I'm a fan, and have found first class upgrades to be easier on these as well.

Very different from the CRJs that feel tiny in terms of experience during the flight. Wouldn't avoid a flight on the E175s, but only you can be the judge.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
The only thing I can compare this type of metal to is an inter island flight we took with HA on their Boeing 717 just recently, and I believe the E175 is even smaller than that?
Yes, the E75 is smaller than a 717. But:

Originally Posted by Red L
Bumpiness on takeoff / landing and turbulence really have nothing to do with the plane -- it's primarily dependent on the weather. The E75 is a nice plane, but will still be subject to the same concerns you may have about any other plane. That being said, the E75 generally flies at the same altitude as a 737, so it tends to encounter fewer weather issues than planes like the Q400 that have a lower ceiling.
Yeah. And specifically, HA interisland flights aren't long enough to get to 30,000 feet; random recent HNL-KOA flight I checked got as high as 19,000 feet, but only "cruised" at that altitude for four minutes. Of course, on a 3.5 hour flight, you'll mostly be at 30,000-35,000 feet.

But in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter if you're flying on a 747 or a Cessna.....when it's bumpy, it's bumpy.
I'm pretty sure that a Cessna does feel the same turbulence more than a more massive plane, but conditions make a much bigger difference than aircraft type.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ashill
I'm pretty sure that a Cessna does feel the same turbulence more than a more massive plane, but conditions make a much bigger difference than aircraft type.
And the specific factor coming into play between aircraft types isn't strictly size, but wing loading, and the higher the loading the more stable it'll be in turbulence. An A380 and 739 are both around 140 lb/sq ft at MTOW; meanwhile, an E175 sits at 113, a Q400 at 97.5, and a Cessna 172 at about 14.1.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Cash price on midweek is down to $52 each way. if flight flight times work for you
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CDKing
Cash price on midweek is down to $52 each way. if flight flight times work for you
What dates are you seeing that fare? The lowest on the calendar is $101 each way.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 28, 2018 at 6:31 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
What dates are you seeing that fare? The lowest on the calendar is $101 each way.
Looks like it must have been too good of a fare that was pulled or sale ended sometime in the last couple hours:

https://www.theflightdeal.com/2018/0...ing-all-taxes/
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for confirming these planes are some of the best and nothing to be worried about flight wise. I have been watching the fares for the last few weeks like a hawk and $101 was the cheapest I was able to find as well.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Thanks everyone for confirming these planes are some of the best and nothing to be worried about flight wise. I have been watching the fares for the last few weeks like a hawk and $101 was the cheapest I was able to find as well.
It seems like a shame to use a companion certificate on a $101 fare which is really an $80 fare with $21 in taxes. Your first ticket will be $160 + taxes and your companion ticket will be $99 + taxes. The $61 savings plus a little on taxes doesn't even cover the cost of the CC annual fee.

2 Pax DAL-LGA-DAL $400.80
2 Pax DAL-LGA-DAL w/ Companion certificate $335.23
Savings $65.57

On my recent reservation for an upcoming flight to Hawaii from Canada I saved $705 on the Itinerary with my companion certificate using GGU's to confirm us into First. I like to get at least that amount of value out of my companion certificates.

James
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It seems like a shame to use a companion certificate on a $101 fare which is really an $80 fare with $21 in taxes. Your first ticket will be $160 + taxes and your companion ticket will be $99 + taxes. The $61 savings plus a little on taxes doesn't even cover the cost of the CC annual fee.

2 Pax DAL-LGA-DAL $400.80
2 Pax DAL-LGA-DAL w/ Companion certificate $335.23
Savings $65.57

On my recent reservation for an upcoming flight to Hawaii from Canada I saved $705 on the Itinerary with my companion certificate using GGU's to confirm us into First. I like to get at least that amount of value out of my companion certificates.

James
I know it really does seem like a waste to use any companion voucher on a flight like this, however, it is expiring next month and we just got back from a big family vacation so no plans anytime soon to take another big trip. Originally I had planned on just booking anything and then changing within the 60 grace period, but since AS has changed the rules with making changes to flights that is no longer an option. It is a buy one get one for taxes and fees only (not the $99 one)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS
There are ways to extend companion certificate beyond expiration date. Mine needed to be used by 6-25. No plans for its use as travel for this year all booked. Went ahead and purchased full fare as far out as I could . Will change itinerary when we figure out where and when we want to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.