Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SY (Sun Country) Making More Inroads on AS' Turf [PDX Expansion]

SY (Sun Country) Making More Inroads on AS' Turf [PDX Expansion]

Old Jun 27, 18, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Post SY (Sun Country) Making More Inroads on AS' Turf [PDX Expansion]

So far its relatively minor. And with a smaller fleet size, they don't have the same oomph as DL does.

However SY's expansion announcement today does go head to head with AS.

Wonder what AS will do, if anything?

Originally Posted by startribune.com
Sun Country Airlines announced Wednesday another batch of new routes, all from Portland, Ore., as it grows its network outside the Twin Cities.<snip> Sun Country will be competing on all the Portland routes against Alaska Air, which operates a hub there.“There’s a good traffic and revenue history in Portland,” said airline analyst Bob Mann. “It’s like many Upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest interior markets in that it is heavily leisure-oriented in the off season.”The airline will begin flying nonstop seasonal service between Portland and Honolulu, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, Calif., Phoenix and Reno-Tahoe, Nev., in November. All the routes will be offered four times a week, except Palm Springs and Reno, which will be flown just twice weekly.
Old Jun 27, 18, 9:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
So far its relatively minor. And with a smaller fleet size, they don't have the same oomph as DL does.

However SY's expansion announcement today does go head to head with AS.

Wonder what AS will do, if anything?
It seems like SY's new business model is to be the new G4/Allegiant (while previously, they seemed to be trying to be the AS of MSP). Their new ULCC model certainly turns me away from flying them. Though, I will welcome any lower prices!
Old Jun 27, 18, 10:22 pm
formerly ASTechGuy

SY has a new VP who came from the planning group at AS, so this doesn't surprise me at all.
Old Jun 27, 18, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
If you've read the stories about passengers being abandoned in MX, and other places, because SY's 'season' was over you'd stay away from this airline. But, a lot of people just want a cheap/reasonable flt. and don't care about their history.
Old Jun 27, 18, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PacNWFlyer View Post
SY has a new VP who came from the planning group at AS, so this doesn't surprise me at all.
Ha... knew about WS, but didn't know SY folks had some AS pedigree

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
If you've read the stories about passengers being abandoned in MX, and other places, because SY's 'season' was over you'd stay away from this airline. But, a lot of people just want a cheap/reasonable flt. and don't care about their history.
I wouldn't book them. A coworker said they booked them to ELP recently. They are flying ANC-SEA-DEN-ELP IIRC. I told them "I'm sorry". Their spouse booked them because... "it was a cheap flight"
Old Jun 27, 18, 10:56 pm

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by sturges View Post
It seems like SY's new business model is to be the new G4/Allegiant (while previously, they seemed to be trying to be the AS of MSP). Their new ULCC model certainly turns me away from flying them. Though, I will welcome any lower prices!
Matched by AS basic economy fares, once they roll out.

I wouldn't book them. A coworker said they booked them to ELP recently. They are flying ANC-SEA-DEN-ELP IIRC. I told them "I'm sorry". Their spouse booked them because... "it was a cheap flight"
But think of all the new lines they'll get on their flight maps!
Old Jun 28, 18, 6:32 am

I don't think AS is going to blink their eyes unless SY really expands on this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
I almost booked SY ANC-MSP-BOS since it were only wanting $250 one way and AS Y fare was closer to SY F fare.
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sun Country doesn't fly to El Paso, and neither does Alaska. And would a 2-stop trip between El Paso and Alaska really be that unreasonable?
Old Jun 29, 18, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXpress View Post
Sun Country doesn't fly to El Paso, and neither does Alaska. And would a 2-stop trip between El Paso and Alaska really be that unreasonable?
I was repeating what a coworker said...

And on SY... yes. One segment would be one too many
Old Jun 29, 18, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Ha... knew about WS, but didn't know SY folks had some AS pedigree

oxygen optional....

ill ill never fly them after what I saw with Mexico. They will be no threat to Alaska.
Old Jul 1, 18, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
They'll make inroads, but they do not fly any route every day.

Just a few months back they stranded a ton of their own passengers in Mexico when the seasonal service ended and weather delayed some flights, so they decided they were done.

Every few years they declare bankruptcy and end up with a new owner.

Board at your own risk.
Old Jul 1, 18, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WebTraveler View Post
They'll make inroads, but they do not fly any route every day.

Just a few months back they stranded a ton of their own passengers in Mexico when the seasonal service ended and weather delayed some flights, so they decided they were done.

Every few years they declare bankruptcy and end up with a new owner.

Board at your own risk.
well, 2001 and 2008 according to Wikipedia, which isn’t execatly every few years. But I certainly have no desire to board one of their flights, especially after their most recent business model switch.
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

well, 2001 and 2008 according to Wikipedia, which isn’t execatly every few years. But I certainly have no desire to board one of their flights, especially after their most recent business model switch.

and 1988, 1997, 2011, and most recently December 2017. Call it what you want, but that's a LOT of ownership transfers over it's lifetime.
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Do the same people asserting they'll never fly Sun Country buy their own tickets and complain about AS monopoly routes and lack of price competition? Be happy for whatever you get in PDX.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: