Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SY (Sun Country) Making More Inroads on AS' Turf [PDX Expansion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SY (Sun Country) Making More Inroads on AS' Turf [PDX Expansion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Am actually surprised SY has lasted for so long, knowing NW (and now DL) had competed aggressively at its hub in MSP. Not sure how SY will do in PDX, but am sure DL, AA, WN, and AS will all compete and try to marginalize profitability for SY and attempt to get them out of the market.

Jiburi
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Sun Country announcing PDX pilot base:

Sun Country eyes Portland for a new pilot base, its first beyond Twin Cities - StarTribune.com

I think we will continue to see SY try a number of unserved routes from PDX that AS refuses to fly. PDX-MIA/TPA/MSY/IND/PIT/CLE/CMH/RDU/MKE come to mind. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see them try PDX-CUN/PVR/SJD in the winter months.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jiburi
Am actually surprised SY has lasted for so long, knowing NW (and now DL) had competed aggressively at its hub in MSP. Not sure how SY will do in PDX, but am sure DL, AA, WN, and AS will all compete and try to marginalize profitability for SY and attempt to get them out of the market.

Jiburi
If you fly enough to post on FlyerTalk vacation airlines like Allegiant, Spirit and Sun Country really don't serve you. For folks who work at Menards or Kohls who want their one moment away this year from the cold, there remains a great business proposition. In Minnesota SY has always served these customers well. I have no reason to think that PDX is very different from MSP.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Sun Country announcing PDX pilot base:

Sun Country eyes Portland for a new pilot base, its first beyond Twin Cities - StarTribune.com

I think we will continue to see SY try a number of unserved routes from PDX that AS refuses to fly. PDX-MIA/TPA/MSY/IND/PIT/CLE/CMH/RDU/MKE come to mind. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see them try PDX-CUN/PVR/SJD in the winter months.
I don't know that any of the unserved routes have enough traffic for more than 1-2x week service a few months a year. SY's strategy is to chase "spill" traffic, or peak season demand that can't be served by other carriers. I wouldn't expect for them to have any type of conventional network outside of MSP.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
If you fly enough to post on FlyerTalk vacation airlines like Allegiant, Spirit and Sun Country really don't serve you.
What are the PQS requirements for FlyerTalk again?

The activity level on various FT boards seems to be in direct proportion to how complicated (and gameable) each airline's FF program and status program is. Allegiant, Spirit and Sun Country don't really have those so no one here talks about them much.

​​​
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I'd rather take a Greyhound than fly SY.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by PDXpress
What are the PQS requirements for FlyerTalk again?

The activity level on various FT boards seems to be in direct proportion to how complicated (and gameable) each airline's FF program and status program is. Allegiant, Spirit and Sun Country don't really have those so no one here talks about them much.

​​​
Part of what makes FT such a great community is that there remains no litmus test for membership aside from basic tenure and not upsetting too many people. As to activity level: WN is bigger than UA on some metrics and has far fewer threads/posts/etc.

My point is that there is a strong correlation between participating in FT and complicated loyalty programs. Sounds like you don't actually disagree. :-D
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Got an SY email announcing PDX-SJD nonstop. Can't find a press release on their website, but looks like 2x weekly starting 12/18/19 ending 4/11/20.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Just don't book a flight for the last week of service... There's some history there...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Just don't book a flight for the last week of service... There's some history there...
You would hard pressed to find an airline in the world that hasn't had a problem with reaccomodating passengers at some point in the past. AS couldn't even figure out how to get passengers off a plane at a hub airport...LOL. Stuff happens and hopefully the company learns from past mistakes and makes things better in the future.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You would hard pressed to find an airline in the world that hasn't had a problem with reaccomodating passengers at some point in the past. AS couldn't even figure out how to get passengers off a plane at a hub airport...LOL. Stuff happens and hopefully the company learns from past mistakes and makes things better in the future.
Interesting how you're quick to point out even the slightest failures by AS, but a situation that quite literally created headlines around the world when another airline stranded a planeload of their passengers in a foreign country and told them they were on their own merits the equivalent of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ from you....
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
SY USED to be a great carrier before they went LCC. They stranded my friends in Cabo due to a snowstorm and the change in seasonal flights and had to find their own way home. As DrAlex says do not book flights toward the end of the season or you may not get back.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
B6 is supposedly dumping PDX-ANC and SEA-ANC at the conclusion of the summer season. Assuming that’s true, I wouldn’t be surprised to see SY on PDX-ANC next year. B6 never had much of a problem filling up a plane on PDX/SEA-ANC with low fares...I think B6 decided it wasn’t worth it to have two orphan ANC routes that don’t touch a hub when they are drawing down west coast flying.

Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:43 am

I've flown them a few times now. It's definitely the only time I've ever seen the entire front half of the plane full, with not a single person in the back half. My guess is that most of the people didn't select a seat and at check-in, it was filling front to back. I'm not sure if that's the standard procedure for Sun Country or not.

The actual flights have been mostly fine outside of one grumpy flight attendant. I definitely wouldn't want to book on one of the last weeks of any of their seasonal flights for reasons already noted, and probably wouldn't want to fly them internationally. They've also announced routes and changed them at the drop of a dime. Initially they announced PDX-RNO then switched it to PDX-SFO instead. The ground operations at PDX didn't seem the most organized, but maybe that has improved as my flights were earlier in the year. I have the Sun Country credit card and there really wasn't any mention of it in the boarding process for priority boarding. Lots of little things here and there compared to the operations of the major airlines. Another thing that bugs me is you cannot check in online if you want to purchase an exit row seat. It doesn't make any sense that you have to show up and wait in the check in line for that, but if you purchase other seats ahead of time, you don't have to.

They seem to be experimenting with a lot of different routes out of PDX. I still think it's exciting they've added several routes where previously no non stop service existed from PDX. I don't know how many of them will actually stick around next year, but any new routes or competition is a benefit in my opinion. I wouldn't have an issue flying them again domestically and like the recent changes they've made with their fee change policy and being able to cancel/change reservations online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.