Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SY (Sun Country) Making More Inroads on AS' Turf [PDX Expansion]

SY (Sun Country) Making More Inroads on AS' Turf [PDX Expansion]

Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Do the same people asserting they'll never fly Sun Country buy their own tickets and complain about AS monopoly routes and lack of price competition? Be happy for whatever you get in PDX.
yes (buy my own)
no (don’t complain)
yes (I love PDX as an airport)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Has anyone actually taken the new Sun Country flights out of PDX? I don't think AS sees the increase in PDX flights as much of a threat given the fact that AS hasn't been matching most of their fares. SY is $139 PDX-HNL on the next three Saturdays and AS (or any other airline for that matter) hasn't matched.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I took them PSP-PDX last month and was totally happy with it. Probably only 1/3 full, but it was less than half what AS was charging, even with seat and bag fees (seriously, AS, $350+ OW???). The upcharge to the formerly first class seats (2x2, 2 free drinks) was very reasonable. My wife took them PDX-PHX and was happy, too, except her return was delayed 5 hours and I put her on WN instead (SY refunded the flight back to the credit card). There's no system redundancy and very limited schedules, so one delay and you're screwed.

This year will be interesting with SY's announcement of PDX-SAT, PDX-STL, and PDX-BNA later this year.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Those AS PDX-PSP fares are nuts this winter/spring.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by williwaw
SY also announced ANC-LAS, an on again, off again (currently off) AS route.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by williwaw
I flew AS on the southbound and was able to get very good value from 12,500 miles rather than $354 for the one-way.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:49 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Also read SY is expanding to Hawaii. I wonder if they'll beat SW there. Bets anyone?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by T2A
Also read SY is expanding to Hawaii. I wonder if they'll beat SW there. Bets anyone?
They are already in Hawaii.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Chugach

They are already in Hawaii.
year around or another opportunity to strand passengers at the end of the season?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by czpdx
I flew AS on the southbound and was able to get very good value from 12,500 miles rather than $354 for the one-way.
Last month I flew PSP-PDX (5 month stopover til May)-BOI for 5K....now that was a good use of 5K
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

year around or another opportunity to strand passengers at the end of the season?
There are far worse places to be stranded. In fact, I routinely wish Alaska would cancel my flight whenever I leave Maui.
Flying for Fun and pbelmore like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Has anyone actually taken the new Sun Country flights out of PDX? I don't think AS sees the increase in PDX flights as much of a threat given the fact that AS hasn't been matching most of their fares. SY is $139 PDX-HNL on the next three Saturdays and AS (or any other airline for that matter) hasn't matched.
I've taken them to Las Vegas out of PDX. A ton of competition on that route and some of their fares are even lower than Spirit's. It was...an interesting experience. But for a short nonstop flight and cheap airfare, I wouldn't have an issue flying them again.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tusphotog

There are far worse places to be stranded. In fact, I routinely wish Alaska would cancel my flight whenever I leave Maui.
Sure, but the avg Sun Country passenger probably doesn’t have a job that allows the flexibility to just hang around Maui for a few extra days, even IF Sun Country picks up the tab for a hotel.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach

SY also announced ANC-LAS, an on again, off again (currently off) AS route.
Heard that.

Wonder if AS will resume this flight? Historically it's a winter flight from AS. But they do have a history of reacting... ie F9 and DEN.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Heard that.

Wonder if AS will resume this flight? Historically it's a winter flight from AS. But they do have a history of reacting... ie F9 and DEN.
I was looking at some PDX-ANC flights this summer on google flights and SY is selling PDX-LAS-ANC connections. It’s the cheapest option (before the add-ons) that shows up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.