Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines SkyCap Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Alaska Airlines SkyCap Etiquette

I travelled on Alaska Airlines from Portland OR to BWI on June 26, 2018 and the Skycap Attendant told me that Alaska Airlines had dropped their $2 baggage fee for curbside dropoff and the next time I travelled I would have to drop off my bags inside the terminal. I later realized that this was just a rude way of showing his displeasure at not receiving a tip. If I had known it was customary I would have gladly paid it. I had assumed from his comment that he was an Alaska Airline's employee since he was quoting a non-existent policy. ( I haven't travelled by air in 20 years and was unaware of the customary tipping etiquette. I would not have been offended if he had informed me that the customary tip was $2 per bag. I would suggest that SkyCap post something like this at the curbside stations "A customary tip is $2 per bag." It would serve as a gentle reminder of the customary tip for those nervous travelers who either don't know of the customary tip or forget it, as some senior citizens (like myself) may likely do. But to misrepresent Alaska Airlines policy is inappropriate and rude.
AlasAir_traveller
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:27 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As TravelBuzz is for general topics, we will move this over to the AS forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AlasAir_traveller
I had assumed from his comment that he was an Alaska Airline's employee since he was quoting a non-existent policy.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As far as I know, curbside/SkyCap baggage attendants are independent contractors and not employed by AS (or any other airline).

I've never used one because I know that a tip is expected, and I'd rather haul my bags an extra 50 feet to avoid having to drop some singles. I don't know why I know they're supposed to be tipped, but I can see it being confusing for infrequent travelers. That said, posting a "suggested tip: $2" thing is a bit gauche, just as it would be to post a sign in a restaurant saying "suggested tip: 15-20%" or a sign in a taxi saying "suggested tip: 15-20% plus $1-2 per bag" or whatever. Of course, one could argue that the entire American tipping culture is somewhat gauche...but without tips, there probably wouldn't be any SkyCaps, because as tipped employees, they are apparently paid significantly less than minimum wage, and the airlines probably aren't interested in paying higher prices for their contractors to do curbside when there's a perfectly serviceable ticket counter just a few feet inside the door.

Some refs:
https://www.denverpost.com/2005/08/2...-skycaps-tips/
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/smart...b_8006490.html
Skycaps Can Be A Traveler's Best Friend

And here on FT:
Skycap Etiquette
Tipping for airport curbside check-in?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The days of an airline employed sky cap have long since gone. In fact I was not really aware that sky caps were even a thing anymore in this ever increasing do it yourself world.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jackal
..but without tips, there probably wouldn't be any SkyCaps, because as tipped employees, they are apparently paid significantly less than minimum wage,
Oregon, along w/ WA, CA and a handful of other states (in purple on this map) actually require all employees be paid minimum wage in addition to any tips received. So in this case the SkyCap was making at least minimum wage.

Agree that folks should tip when customary (regardless of what staff are being paid, which is really none of a patron's business), but also agree that there is some confusion, especially for infrequent travelers, as to the difference between SkyCaps and regular check-in lines. I don't know that "suggested tip" signs are the right approach, but there's probably ways they can better signal this (maybe a tip jar on the desk, signs that this is a courtesy service, etc) to help their own wallets.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:26 pm

Tips are not accepted at the Alaska Lounge and if they are given as far as I know its donated to the Employee Fund. So should the entire Alaska Airlines services be a "no tipping" including wheelchair assistance? I think its tacky for the Skycap to force a tip on you. I once had a rude United Skycap who did not deserve a tip in my opinion but I handed him a $5 just to make his day.

When I use a SkyCap I have 2 singles ready to go per bag. If I see there is a long line inside for me the $2 is totally worth it but if there is a short line inside I will just go ahead and wait there. Sometimes the Sky Cap line is longer than the line inside. To me even if I added an additional dollar or two for heavy luggage I will gladly do it especially if I am in a rush to my flight and just about to miss the cutoff time.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was at SEA yesterday around 4:00pm and the N end (AS ticketing and bag drop) was a complete zoo. The line to drop tagged bags wrapped back and forth Disney style out into the hallway. I could see why some would want to use the SkyCap service when it is available rather than wait in a long line like that. Thankfully, the elite line was empty and I was able to drop my bags quickly. TSA was another whole cluster, and the two girls soccer teams that all had PreCheck did not help.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As far as I know, curbside/SkyCap baggage attendants are independent contractors and not employed by AS (or any other airline).
So I wonder - how does that work in practice - do they individually contact with AS to get a spot at the curb? Who is responsible for training and scheduling them? And is their contract for $0 payment and they just get to keep whatever people give them? Or is there an skycap contracting company that is the interface to the airlines?

I've never used one because I know that a tip is expected, and I'd rather haul my bags an extra 50 feet to avoid having to drop some singles.
I have used Skycabs once or twice in my life when the line at the regular bag check was a mile long (with an airline that I didn't have status with). This was after a cruise, probably FLL. A $5 tip was well worth it (and nothing compared to the tips the cruise line extracted from us). But I rarely check bags and usually fly with airlines where I have status and thus shorter lines.

That said, posting a "suggested tip: $2" thing is a bit gauche, just as it would be to post a sign in a restaurant saying "suggested tip: 15-20%"
Like those "suggestions" that the credit card slips nowadays often show at the bottom of the merchant slip? Usually 18, 20 and 25%.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:03 pm

I have seen signs at Skycaps where they do state tips are not mandatory, but appreciated if received. I tend to tip because if I'm using a Skycap, that means I have quite a bit of luggage.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So I wonder - how does that work in practice - do they individually contact with AS to get a spot at the curb? Who is responsible for training and scheduling them? And is their contract for $0 payment and they just get to keep whatever people give them? Or is there an skycap contracting company that is the interface to the airlines?
I knew a guy at ANC who always roamed around the terminal--he was sort of well known by everyone who worked at the airport for his blinking light he had on top of his cap. AFAICT, he was completely independent and worked solely for tips. He didn't have any connection to any curbside check-in services or anything (I've never seen curbside check-in in operation at ANC anyway), so he wasn't providing any contracted services for any airlines, just offering his help to random guests who needed it.

Based on the links I posted upthread, I think the ones who actually operate out of curbside check-in spots are actual paid employees of a contract service that contracts with the airlines. I don't think they individually contract with the airlines.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I believe AA was the last to have employee skycaps.

I think the expectation of tips has expanded beyond reason, but tipping a Skycap is certainly reasonable.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
As I recall, Alaska contracts with a separate company to provide Skycap and Wheelchair services, my guess is probably a lot of other airlines use the same company. I have never used curbside check in before, but if these skycaps are wearing anything that suggests they may be part of Alaska Airlines, then they should hold to the policies of AS. Though I don't think I have ever seen them in Alaska gear either at PDX or SEA. That being said, I have always found it hard not to tip for anyone that carries my luggage as they are most likely being paid minimum wage. When I spend time in the Alaska Lounge I am always at the bar (if they have one). I have seen many times individuals trying to tip the employees there and they politely refuse. I have never seen a tip asked for or accepted in the Lounge.

Last edited by JacksonFlyer; Jun 28, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
When I spend time in the Alaska Lounge I am always at the bar (if they have one). I have seen many times individuals trying to tip the employees there and they politely refuse. I have never seen a tip asked for or accepted in the Lounge.
That's correct the lounge folks are salaried so they aren't allowed to accept tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.