Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Strategy for Changing Flights the Day of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors

I want to change my ticket to a recently added direct flight from Anchorage to PDX. Alaska, who is probably
the most customer focused airline out there, has repeatably told me that American Airlines owns the ticket
since I used AA miles to book my ticket on Alaska. AA tells me they have no space on the flight I want and
wait until the day of departure and ask at the airport. I get different responses when speaking with Alaska
CSR's.
I can arrive up to five or six hours prior to this flight's departure time but here is my issue. What is the best
strategy to increase my chances for success? If there is anyone reading this who has been in a similar
situation and can offer their valuable suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by atanac
I want to change my ticket to a recently added direct flight from Anchorage to PDX. Alaska, who is probably
the most customer focused airline out there, has repeatably told me that American Airlines owns the ticket
since I used AA miles to book my ticket on Alaska. AA tells me they have no space on the flight I want and
wait until the day of departure and ask at the airport. I get different responses when speaking with Alaska
CSR's.
I can arrive up to five or six hours prior to this flight's departure time but here is my issue. What is the best
strategy to increase my chances for success? If there is anyone reading this who has been in a similar
situation and can offer their valuable suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Are you just trying to change the time of your flight (same day, same routing)? Or make some other change?

If you booked with AAdvantage, Alaska can't do anything with your ticket prior to day of departure. AAdvantage bookings only have access to a small sub-set of the the available seats on any given route.

If you are doing a same-day same-routing change, you will be able to perform a Same-Day Confirmed Change. At online checkin 6hrs prior to your flight (24hrs for MVP/Gold/75k), you will have the option to take an earlier/later flight for $50 (waived for Gold/75k).
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sturges
Are you just trying to change the time of your flight (same day, same routing)? Or make some other change?

If you booked with AAdvantage, Alaska can't do anything with your ticket prior to day of departure. AAdvantage bookings only have access to a small sub-set of the the available seats on any given route.

If you are doing a same-day same-routing change, you will be able to perform a Same-Day Confirmed Change. At online checkin 6hrs prior to your flight (24hrs for MVP/Gold/75k), you will have the option to take an earlier/later flight for $50 (waived for Gold/75k).
It sounds like (maybe wrong, but inferring from the info provided) the OP wants to change from an ANC-SEA-PDX routing to an ANC-PDX route instead. Technically it's not permitted within the same day change rules, however, you may get a sympathetic agent who is willing to change the routing for you. Try calling after 10pm local time the evening before departure and hope for the best. If no luck there, inquire when checking in at the airport.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:53 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Or keep checking for award space to open on the direct flight - if that happens, you can change your ticket through AA with no fees.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another standby question - just wanna confirm:

I can book say LAX-PDX 5 am flight with avios add my AS MVPG number and during online checkin a day earlier do confirmed standby for more sane departure time later that day.. (that later flight will be >24 hr from checkin time at that point).. all it requires is an available seat in any fare bucket on a later flight - correct? Thx!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Another standby question - just wanna confirm:

I can book say LAX-PDX 5 am flight with avios add my AS MVPG number and during online checkin a day earlier do confirmed standby for more sane departure time later that day.. (that later flight will be >24 hr from checkin time at that point).. all it requires is an available seat in any fare bucket on a later flight - correct? Thx!
As an MVPG, you'll be able to same day change and confirm on the flight. I believe they only offer same day stand-by if there is no available space.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
It sounds like (maybe wrong, but inferring from the info provided) the OP wants to change from an ANC-SEA-PDX routing to an ANC-PDX route instead. Technically it's not permitted within the same day change rules, however, you may get a sympathetic agent who is willing to change the routing for you. Try calling after 10pm local time the evening before departure and hope for the best. If no luck there, inquire when checking in at the airport.
Thanks goes out to you & Sturges for your helpful advice.Changing from my current ANC-SEA-PDX to the non stop ANC-PDX is exactly what I want to do.
I booked this flight the day it became available and at the time there was an earlier direct flight but I could not make it due to arriving in Seward following a
cruise. Then a few weeks ago this later direct flight appeared in their schedule and of course I'd prefer it to having to change planes and arrive home three
hours later. I'm booked into First and so far only 3 of the 16 First Class seats are occupied. With 60+ days to go I'll be watching to see if they ultimately
filled those seats. As I assumed it will all fall into the hands of the gate agents to work with me if they can.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thanks goes out to you & Sturges for your helpful advice.Changing from my current ANC-SEA-PDX to the non stop ANC-PDX is exactly what I want to do.
I booked this flight the day it became available and at the time there was an earlier direct flight but I could not make it due to arriving in Seward following a
cruise. Then a few weeks ago this later direct flight appeared in their schedule and of course I'd prefer it to having to change planes and arrive home three
hours later. I'm booked into First and so far only 3 of the 16 First Class seats are occupied. With 60+ days to go I'll be watching to see if they ultimately
filled those seats. As I assumed it will all fall into the hands of the gate agents to work with me if they can.
If you are on an F award at least you will have Alaska Lounge access in ANC & SEA.

James
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:33 am

Definitely keep watching, and I'd guess that a call center or gate agent may be willing to stretch the rules a bit for a passenger traveling on an F award. As you get within the timeframe for the same day change, keep in mind that many elite upgrades may have cleared into F on your desired flight, so you may be looking at a trade-off of your F seat for a more convenient routing. Would plan to call in right at 10pm the night prior rather than wait to let a gate agent handle for better chances of F space remaining.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Definitely keep watching, and I'd guess that a call center or gate agent may be willing to stretch the rules a bit for a passenger traveling on an F award. As you get within the timeframe for the same day change, keep in mind that many elite upgrades may have cleared into F on your desired flight, so you may be looking at a trade-off of your F seat for a more convenient routing. Would plan to call in right at 10pm the night prior rather than wait to let a gate agent handle for better chances of F space remaining.
My ticket is actually a W award according to Alaska even though I'm booked in first. I'm going to keep a look out on American to see if any award seats open for the direct
flight I want and failing that I'll just have to see if the gate agent will work with me. I cannot call the night before either as I will be at sea so that's option is off the table.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
OK,

being new to the forum, have a question about changing flights that have forced overnight.

I see late flights ariving at SEA, SJO, PDX and SFO, with next leg anytime between 5 a.m. and 8 a.m.

Is it possible to SDC to flights on same day? This for some reason seems to involve connecting in California and then stuck in SEA, or on the way back connecting in SEA and then stuck overnight in California

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.