FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Salt & Straw Ice Cream Coming to AS F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1914578-salt-straw-ice-cream-coming-f.html)

jinglish Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Salt & Straw Ice Cream Coming to AS F

From the Oregonian:

If you were looking for another reason to glare at the billionaires flying first class on Alaska Airlines cross country flights, here you go: Starting Saturday, they will be treated to Salt and Straw in the air, and you will not.

The Portland-based ice creamry will launch their new single serving scoops, with packaging created by Portland designer Ziba Design on cross country flights. The ice cream will be delivered twice a week to Alaska's kitchens and kept cold using dry ice during flights.
And :rolleyes: at the billionaires comment, of course.

jinglish Jun 15, 2018 1:59 pm

More details from PSBJ:

Salt & Straw will have two flavors of single-serve in first class on summer flights between the West Coast and East Coast and flights to Hawaii.
I'm in F on DCA-SEA in September, so... cool.

ASA_1 Jun 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Will this compliment the brownie or other dessert we've become accustom to, or become the only dessert option? Although I LOVE Salt and Straw, not sure I'd want ice cream for dessert everytime.

PDXPremier Jun 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ASA_1 (Post 29871503)
Will this compliment the brownie or other dessert we've become accustom to, or become the only dessert option? Although I LOVE Salt and Straw, not sure I'd want ice cream for dessert everytime.

Ice cream is one of those desserts I don't mind having with every flight although I'm not a big fan of their "odd" flavor combinations.

jacobguo Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Now if only Alaska adds ice cream to breakfast...

jinglish Jun 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 29871687)
Ice cream is one of those desserts I don't mind having with every flight although I'm not a big fan of their "odd" flavor combinations.

Since they'll be offering two flavors, it's quite possible that they'll have a tamer flavor like the Woodblock chocolate for those who don't want the black cherry and bone marrow.

MAH4546 Jun 15, 2018 9:53 pm

TIL I'm a billionaire. Cool!

BOB W Jun 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by jacobguo (Post 29871697)
Now if only Alaska adds ice cream to breakfast...

It would be great if they added breakfast back to breakfast. The Protein Plate is not food anytime......

BOB W Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 29871795)
Since they'll be offering two flavors, it's quite possible that they'll have a tamer flavor like the Woodblock chocolate for those who don't want the black cherry and bone marrow.

Options may be available for row 1 & 2, after that notsamuch;)

beckoa Jun 16, 2018 12:59 am

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 29872053)
It would be great if they added breakfast back to breakfast. The Protein Plate is not food anytime......

Breakfast Protein Plate flavored ice cream?

I'm excited by this announcement.

tusphotog Jun 16, 2018 1:39 am

Although I LOVE Salt and Straw, not sure I'd want ice cream for dessert everytime.

Blasphemy.

I remember when Salt and Straw did a tasting at PDX. I kept walking in a loop around their cart so I could get more “samples.” The person caught on after the fifth time I wandered by.

UAPremierExec Jun 16, 2018 2:16 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 29872301)

Blasphemy.

I remember when Salt and Straw did a tasting at PDX. I kept walking in a loop around their cart so I could get more “samples.” The person caught on after the fifth time I wandered by.

I wonder if that trick will work at Costco...

T2A Jun 16, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 29872339)
I wonder if that trick will work at Costco...

Costco has an all you can eat policy ^

chrisl137 Jun 16, 2018 11:45 am

The lactose intolerant among us (and those in neighboring seats) would appreciate that. I'd prefer the brownies or other baked goods.

beckoa Jun 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 29873410)
The lactose intolerant among us (and those in neighboring seats) would appreciate that. I'd prefer the brownies or other baked goods.

I'll take the leftover ice cream :D