Trans pacific WiFi

Old Jun 14, 18, 4:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 113
Smile Trans pacific WiFi

Alaska is starting to convert their WiFi from land based to satellite based connection. Does anyone know if any of the trans pacific routes have internet now? Personally, if I was prioritizing the upgrade Id prioritize these routes first since they will have the greatest impact.
Sung Sam is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:53 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Traveling the World
Posts: 5,267
Yes with their new flights from SJC-Fiji via HNL
on their 737 MAX and GOGO 2ku satellite you will be surfing at high speeds.

They now fly from SEA to Tokyo via In Alaska Alaska and Vladivostok Russia

There are also the milk run routes

San Jose to Tokyo via Eugene Portland Srattle Juneau Big Diomede Little Diomede Islands before touching down at Narita.

Enjoy their signature premium drinks and spirits in flight and your Personal Entertainment Devices!

Have a great trip and please do write a trip report after taking their Trans Pacific Route..

Alaska also flies SJC-Newark Bostin Resolute Shannon London.

or SJC-Newark-Boston-Gothab-Rejkiavik-Oslo-Arlanda-Istanbul-TLV.

Enjoy the milk run routes!
trooper likes this.
danielonn is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 7:00 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,004
Since AS doesn't have a dedicated Hawaii fleet, no real way to prioritize. Plus it's not just about adding wifi to routes that don't have it already. Hawaii is mostly leisure travelers. It's more important for transcontinental flights where the business travelers are who need more reliable connection.
CDKing is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 11:26 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SEA
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
Yes with their new flights from SJC-Fiji via HNL
on their 737 MAX and GOGO 2ku satellite you will be surfing at high speeds.

They now fly from SEA to Tokyo via In Alaska Alaska and Vladivostok Russia

There are also the milk run routes

San Jose to Tokyo via Eugene Portland Srattle Juneau Big Diomede Little Diomede Islands before touching down at Narita.

Enjoy their signature premium drinks and spirits in flight and your Personal Entertainment Devices!

Have a great trip and please do write a trip report after taking their Trans Pacific Route..

Alaska also flies SJC-Newark Bostin Resolute Shannon London.

or SJC-Newark-Boston-Gothab-Rejkiavik-Oslo-Arlanda-Istanbul-TLV.

Enjoy the milk run routes!
I would be A-Ok will all of these routes.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
quemalo is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 11:41 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Since AS doesn't have a dedicated Hawaii fleet, no real way to prioritize. Plus it's not just about adding wifi to routes that don't have it already. Hawaii is mostly leisure travelers. It's more important for transcontinental flights where the business travelers are who need more reliable connection.
I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to have a subfleet of ~20 738s with sat wifi to run the Hawaii routes, since the choice is sat wifi or no wifi.

If it's too hard for them to have a Hawaii subfleet, it's too hard to have a trans-con subfleet.
3Cforme is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 12:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
Currently only N926VA and N927VA have the satellite wifi installed. A good place to check the AS fleet status is at this website. https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ .
It is pretty accurate as to what is happening to AS planes. It says satellite is installed on 3 planes because N928VA has it but has not entered revenue service.
SNAnghbr is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 1:10 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr View Post
Currently only N926VA and N927VA have the satellite wifi installed. A good place to check the AS fleet status is at this website. https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ .
It is pretty accurate as to what is happening to AS planes. It says satellite is installed on 3 planes because N928VA has it but has not entered revenue service.
There are actually a handful of VX A320s with ViaSat instead of the old GoGo--I think all but one of the newer ones with sharklets. VX equipped them as such for their Hawaii service, but I don't know how often they're on the LAX/SFO-Hawaii routes post-merger.
jinglish is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 1:12 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 9,989
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Since AS doesn't have a dedicated Hawaii fleet, no real way to prioritize. Plus it's not just about adding wifi to routes that don't have it already. Hawaii is mostly leisure travelers. It's more important for transcontinental flights where the business travelers are who need more reliable connection.
Are all of AS's 738's now ETOPS certified? I thought they had a subfleet of ETOPS certified planes (which originally were signified by the leis on the eskimo). Did that change at some point?
formeraa is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 2:47 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,004
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Are all of AS's 738's now ETOPS certified? I thought they had a subfleet of ETOPS certified planes (which originally were signified by the leis on the eskimo). Did that change at some point?
according to this post In 2010 33 of 55 737-800 were ETOPS.

Originally Posted by ASDriver View Post
33 of the 55 737-800's are ETOPS. All have the lei, except the Starliner.
From the post about he Lei removal not just 738's were doing Hawaii flights.I'm not sure of the case for now

Alaska's Hawaiian livery all gone?
CDKing is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 3:00 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,953
They don't need a subfleet to do it, they need to try to rotate and schedule the ones with it to maximize the best experience possible.

That said, isn't the whole fleet eventually going this way? It's not just for Hawaii, but the old Gogo is so slow it's borderline useless anyway.
channa is offline  
Old Jun 14, 18, 3:46 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 845
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
Istanbul-TLV.

Enjoy the milk run routes!
Interestingly, two years ago there was an AS plane I believe 73G that was being converted to a 737-Combi at IAI in TLV. So would love to see how they got that plane half way across the world via these milk runs.

Found the article, https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...-700-freighter.

Make it happen AS!
safari ari is offline  
Old Jun 15, 18, 11:12 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,257
Originally Posted by channa View Post
They don't need a subfleet to do it, they need to try to rotate and schedule the ones with it to maximize the best experience possible.

That said, isn't the whole fleet eventually going this way? It's not just for Hawaii, but the old Gogo is so slow it's borderline useless anyway.
If you want to advertise things and get additional fares for it, then you need it to be universal on those routes. The first airline with WIFI to Hawaii will be rewarded for the situation.
channa likes this.
ou81two is offline  
Old Jun 15, 18, 11:56 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TUS/PDX
Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Posts: 5,682
I saw the wifi symbol when I was looking at OGG flights this week. Figured it was a PMVX plane, but the seat map shows it's a 737-800. Wonder if I'll be able to use my Gogo monthly subscription for the new service.
tusphotog is offline  
Old Jun 15, 18, 12:20 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,953
Originally Posted by ou81two View Post
If you want to advertise things and get additional fares for it, then you need it to be universal on those routes. The first airline with WIFI to Hawaii will be rewarded for the situation.
True. My last trip to Hawaii involved a weekday outbound where I needed connectivity. I ended up choosing the UA 777 with a connection in HNL because of this. This was both less convenient and more expensive than the AS nonstop.

I didn't need WiFi on the return, so AS nonstop it was.
channa is offline  
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:10 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: AS G75K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 814
I flew SEA-HNL last week, both flights were on 738s. And no wifi crossing the Pacific since they both had Gogo wifi. It will be a while before they have converted all the 800s to sat wifi.

Last edited by BW Flyer; Jun 16, 18 at 2:30 pm
BW Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread