FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Wi-Fi When Overwater (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1914257-wi-fi-when-overwater.html)

Sung Sam Jun 14, 2018 3:29 am

Wi-Fi When Overwater

Alaska is starting to convert their WiFi from land based to satellite based connection. Does anyone know if any of the trans pacific routes have internet now? Personally, if I was prioritizing the upgrade I’d prioritize these routes first since they will have the greatest impact.

danielonn Jun 14, 2018 5:53 am

Yes with their new flights from SJC-Fiji via HNL
on their 737 MAX and GOGO 2ku satellite you will be surfing at high speeds.

They now fly from SEA to Tokyo via In Alaska Alaska and Vladivostok Russia

There are also the milk run routes

San Jose to Tokyo via Eugene Portland Srattle Juneau Big Diomede Little Diomede Islands before touching down at Narita.

Enjoy their signature premium drinks and spirits in flight and your Personal Entertainment Devices!

Have a great trip and please do write a trip report after taking their Trans Pacific Route..

Alaska also flies SJC-Newark Bostin Resolute Shannon London.

or SJC-Newark-Boston-Gothab-Rejkiavik-Oslo-Arlanda-Istanbul-TLV.

Enjoy the milk run routes!

CDKing Jun 14, 2018 6:00 am

Since AS doesn't have a dedicated Hawaii fleet, no real way to prioritize. Plus it's not just about adding wifi to routes that don't have it already. Hawaii is mostly leisure travelers. It's more important for transcontinental flights where the business travelers are who need more reliable connection.

quemalo Jun 14, 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 29865561)
Yes with their new flights from SJC-Fiji via HNL
on their 737 MAX and GOGO 2ku satellite you will be surfing at high speeds.

They now fly from SEA to Tokyo via In Alaska Alaska and Vladivostok Russia

There are also the milk run routes

San Jose to Tokyo via Eugene Portland Srattle Juneau Big Diomede Little Diomede Islands before touching down at Narita.

Enjoy their signature premium drinks and spirits in flight and your Personal Entertainment Devices!

Have a great trip and please do write a trip report after taking their Trans Pacific Route..

Alaska also flies SJC-Newark Bostin Resolute Shannon London.

or SJC-Newark-Boston-Gothab-Rejkiavik-Oslo-Arlanda-Istanbul-TLV.

I would be A-Ok will all of these routes.

3Cforme Jun 14, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 29865578)
Since AS doesn't have a dedicated Hawaii fleet, no real way to prioritize. Plus it's not just about adding wifi to routes that don't have it already. Hawaii is mostly leisure travelers. It's more important for transcontinental flights where the business travelers are who need more reliable connection.

I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to have a subfleet of ~20 738s with sat wifi to run the Hawaii routes, since the choice is sat wifi or no wifi.

If it's too hard for them to have a Hawaii subfleet, it's too hard to have a trans-con subfleet. :)

SNAnghbr Jun 14, 2018 11:48 am

Currently only N926VA and N927VA have the satellite wifi installed. A good place to check the AS fleet status is at this website. https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ .
It is pretty accurate as to what is happening to AS planes. It says satellite is installed on 3 planes because N928VA has it but has not entered revenue service.

jinglish Jun 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr (Post 29866959)
Currently only N926VA and N927VA have the satellite wifi installed. A good place to check the AS fleet status is at this website. https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ .
It is pretty accurate as to what is happening to AS planes. It says satellite is installed on 3 planes because N928VA has it but has not entered revenue service.

There are actually a handful of VX A320s with ViaSat instead of the old GoGo--I think all but one of the newer ones with sharklets. VX equipped them as such for their Hawaii service, but I don't know how often they're on the LAX/SFO-Hawaii routes post-merger.

formeraa Jun 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 29865578)

Are all of AS's 738's now ETOPS certified? I thought they had a subfleet of ETOPS certified planes (which originally were signified by the leis on the eskimo). Did that change at some point?

CDKing Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 29867053)
Are all of AS's 738's now ETOPS certified? I thought they had a subfleet of ETOPS certified planes (which originally were signified by the leis on the eskimo). Did that change at some point?

according to this post In 2010 33 of 55 737-800 were ETOPS.

Originally Posted by ASDriver (Post 14648806)
33 of the 55 737-800's are ETOPS. All have the lei, except the Starliner.

From the post about he Lei removal not just 738's were doing Hawaii flights.I'm not sure of the case for now

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-all-gone.html

channa Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm

They don't need a subfleet to do it, they need to try to rotate and schedule the ones with it to maximize the best experience possible.

That said, isn't the whole fleet eventually going this way? It's not just for Hawaii, but the old Gogo is so slow it's borderline useless anyway.

safari ari Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 29865561)
Istanbul-TLV.

Interestingly, two years ago there was an AS plane I believe 73G that was being converted to a 737-Combi at IAI in TLV. So would love to see how they got that plane half way across the world via these milk runs.

Found the article, https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...-700-freighter.

Make it happen AS!

ou81two Jun 15, 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 29867441)
They don't need a subfleet to do it, they need to try to rotate and schedule the ones with it to maximize the best experience possible.

That said, isn't the whole fleet eventually going this way? It's not just for Hawaii, but the old Gogo is so slow it's borderline useless anyway.

If you want to advertise things and get additional fares for it, then you need it to be universal on those routes. The first airline with WIFI to Hawaii will be rewarded for the situation.

tusphotog Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am

I saw the wifi symbol when I was looking at OGG flights this week. Figured it was a PMVX plane, but the seat map shows it's a 737-800. Wonder if I'll be able to use my Gogo monthly subscription for the new service.

channa Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ou81two (Post 29870300)
If you want to advertise things and get additional fares for it, then you need it to be universal on those routes. The first airline with WIFI to Hawaii will be rewarded for the situation.

True. My last trip to Hawaii involved a weekday outbound where I needed connectivity. I ended up choosing the UA 777 with a connection in HNL because of this. This was both less convenient and more expensive than the AS nonstop.

I didn't need WiFi on the return, so AS nonstop it was.

BW Flyer Jun 15, 2018 9:10 pm

I flew SEA-HNL last week, both flights were on 738s. And no wifi crossing the Pacific since they both had Gogo wifi. It will be a while before they have converted all the 800s to sat wifi.