Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi When Overwater

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
Interestingly, two years ago there was an AS plane I believe 73G that was being converted to a 737-Combi at IAI in TLV. So would love to see how they got that plane half way across the world via these milk runs.

Found the article, https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...-700-freighter.

Make it happen AS!
You and I are going to start an airline called Milk Run International Airways with the old TWA service with gourmet meals , no Basic Economy, no change fees, free seat assignments and all seats Premium Economy and 2 checked bags included. We would partner and codeshare with AS and other airlines. All guest even on short flights get spirits wine and beer and our signature Milk Rum Cocktail!

We would have our airfares at the same cost qs regular Y. In turn for the milk ru n route you get a good deal. We would also have Fifth Freedom Flight runs too.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I saw the wifi symbol when I was looking at OGG flights this week. Figured it was a PMVX plane, but the seat map shows it's a 737-800. Wonder if I'll be able to use my Gogo monthly subscription for the new service.
Doubtful. Wifi works the first 30-35 minutes and outbound to Hawaii seems to be free. Still need to sign in however.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Doubtful. Wifi works the first 30-35 minutes and outbound to Hawaii seems to be free. Still need to sign in however.
Take a look at AS 813 LAX-OGG for the month of July. WiFi symbol is on the booking page.

I wonder if it’s an error or there’s a new WiFi bird roaming around.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Are all of AS's 738's now ETOPS certified? I thought they had a subfleet of ETOPS certified planes (which originally were signified by the leis on the eskimo). Did that change at some point?
47 -800"s and all the 900ER's with a N4xxAS registration are ETOPS aircraft.

Originally Posted by tusphotog

Take a look at AS 813 LAX-OGG for the month of July. WiFi symbol is on the booking page.

I wonder if it’s an error or there’s a new WiFi bird roaming around.
If you hover over the wifi symbol you will see this disclaimer: "Inflight Wi-Fi availability is subject to change without notice and will not be available when flying over Latin America, the Pacific Ocean and portions of Canada and Alaska."

The first GoGo 2Ku installation on a 737 is currently underway.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:39 am

Sorry to resurrect this thread ...

Was nice to have Sat Wifi out of OGG (Maui) on N532AS on Feb 19. First time I've gotten the upgraded sat wifi. Noticed a small sticker saying "faster WiFI" when boarding.

-David

-
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:43 am

I'm curious as to when/how US-Hawaii became considered "Transpacific".... HNL is about 30% of the way across....
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I had Gogo both to and from HNL last week. First time ever. On N588AS and N587AS.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by trooper
I'm curious as to when/how US-Hawaii became considered "Transpacific".... HNL is about 30% of the way across....
Well you are crossing or transiting the pacific.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
The discussion already included Hawaii flights. Would you like to request that the thread be renamed to "Trans Pacific/Hawaii WiFi"?

-David
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:47 pm

Sorry...should have put a smiley on it!! Just found it amusing as an Aussie..... (So can I call EWR-MCI "Trans-Continental")
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I fly west coast to Hawaii a lot and have noticed a pretty steep decline in wifi service even in the planes that are reported to be equipped with it.

A little background for those of you that don't know - AS uses a lot of B737-8 planes to/from Hawaii, roughly half of which are equipped with satellite wifi. You can go here: https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ once you get the tail# of your plane a few days prior to flying and look at the wifi status - ATG-4 = no satellite wifi, 2ku = satellite wifi.

Anyway, my last few flights listed as having 2ku don't have functional wifi once out over the ocean (it may work for a bit but goes away pretty quickly). It seems like the system (or someone at AS?) knows things aren't working as there is no option to buy a "full flight pass". They just offer you free wifi with the disclaimer that it may not work all the time (which is generally an understatement).

I guess I'm just confused by this since it seems like something that would work or not. Admittedly, I don't know a lot of the science behind it but are the satellites inconsistent? It seems like it would either work (if the plane is updated with 2ku) or not.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mtofell
I fly west coast to Hawaii a lot and have noticed a pretty steep decline in wifi service even in the planes that are reported to be equipped with it.

A little background for those of you that don't know - AS uses a lot of B737-8 planes to/from Hawaii, roughly half of which are equipped with satellite wifi. You can go here: https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/ once you get the tail# of your plane a few days prior to flying and look at the wifi status - ATG-4 = no satellite wifi, 2ku = satellite wifi.

Anyway, my last few flights listed as having 2ku don't have functional wifi once out over the ocean (it may work for a bit but goes away pretty quickly). It seems like the system (or someone at AS?) knows things aren't working as there is no option to buy a "full flight pass". They just offer you free wifi with the disclaimer that it may not work all the time (which is generally an understatement).

I guess I'm just confused by this since it seems like something that would work or not. Admittedly, I don't know a lot of the science behind it but are the satellites inconsistent? It seems like it would either work (if the plane is updated with 2ku) or not.
Are you sure you haven't been subject to last minute aircraft changes? That's the only time I've noticed this happen to me.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Are you sure you haven't been subject to last minute aircraft changes? That's the only time I've noticed this happen to me.
Good call! I just checked and they did do a swap to a ATG-4 aircraft. The funny thing is I don't remember those even offering wifi at all but maybe I just don't even try once I am not expecting it. I usually glance at the tail# once at the gate just so I know if my plane has arrived and to be sure I'm in the right place but it was dark last night so I didn't. Thanks!
TheBeerHunter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.