Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What’s up with the new partnership with SQ, EI, and AY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

Why is it taking Alaska airlines so long to roll out partnership redemptions on these new Airlines? Especially when on the other airlines you can use their miles to redeem on Alaska! Does anyone have any idea what the award chart is going to look like to redeem on these airlines? I know what the the “planned” dates are suppose to be for us to be able to redeem but I just don’t understand why it took these airline partners mere weeks for their members to be able to redeem on AS, but for AS mileageplan members it’s taking over a year? Something doesn’t sound right. Alaska is not that incompetent. Especially after we lost Air France and KLM we have no options to redeem or earn to Europe now.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:34 pm

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Especially after we lost Air France and KLM we have no options to redeem or earn to Europe now.
What are BA, FI, and DE, then?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by jinglish
Surcharge, lounger and angle flat/seasonal schedule. To me at least.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Why is it taking Alaska airlines so long to roll out partnership redemptions on these new Airlines?
I was wondering the same thing. I also noticed that on the partner page for each of these airlines, it used to say "Coming soon." but now it says "Not available at this time." I'm hoping that doesn't mean that we won't be able to redeem on these airlines. That would be a buzz kill.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
Yea this is what I was gonna say. They’re crap*py angled flat lackluster premium cabin airlines that don’t offer anything special. Not to mention their destinations are not that extensive. EI, and AY would be a welcomed redemption option.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I'm just curious how this works out in negotiations, SQ has their award chart for AS but somehow they can't convert a similar chart relative to some metric they use to the AS redemption chart. Isn't this back tactics as SQ could say, you need 50k AS miles for a Y ticket, since they already have a solid redemption contract for themselves.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safari ari
I'm just curious how this works out in negotiations, SQ has their award chart for AS but somehow they can't convert a similar chart relative to some metric they use to the AS redemption chart. Isn't this back tactics as SQ could say, you need 50k AS miles for a Y ticket, since they already have a solid redemption contract for themselves.
i’m guessing that the negotiations and redemptions rates have already been inked and agreed upon by both parties. Except only one party (in this case SQ) has allowed redemptions.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by safari ari
Surcharge, lounger and angle flat/seasonal schedule. To me at least.

Yea this is what I was gonna say. They’re crap*py angled flat lackluster premium cabin airlines that don’t offer anything special. Not to mention their destinations are not that extensive. EI, and AY would be a welcomed redemption option.
NWplatinum: I'm assuming you didn't mean to include BA in that description?

As originally mentioned by safari ari, BA's fuel surcharges are a completely different story. You get what you pay for, quite literally, when comparing those three.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
NWplatinum: I'm assuming you didn't mean to include BA in that description?

As originally mentioned by safari ari, BA's fuel surcharges are a completely different story. You get what you pay for, quite literally, when comparing those three.
Of course not talking about BA. Yes they have an extensive route network, and aren’t terrible about availability and getting to Europe and beyond. But as you said, those “fuel surcharges” are quite ridiculous. You end up having to pay 1-2k for J and about 2k for first. Sort of takes the “award” out of award redemption.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
SQ award availability will suck anyways. I'm more concerned with whether they will still be EQM partners when I fly EWR-SIN in January
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Why is it taking Alaska airlines so long to roll out partnership redemptions on these new Airlines?
You missed the dedicated threads on this question for each airline?
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:01 am

Of course not talking about BA. Yes they have an extensive route network, and aren’t terrible about availability and getting to Europe and beyond. But as you said, those “fuel surcharges” are quite ridiculous. You end up having to pay 1-2k for J and about 2k for first. Sort of takes the “award” out of award redemption.
Your argument will have more merit if you use facts. There's no difference in charges between business and first. And please show an example of $2k in fees for a redemption.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Your argument will have more merit if you use facts. There's no difference in charges between business and first. And please show an example of $2k in fees for a redemption.
I can confirm using BA miles to redeem on BA metal, F and J have the same taxes and fees: about $1K per person round trip.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

I can confirm using BA miles to redeem on BA metal, F and J have the same taxes and fees: about $1K per person round trip.
And it's very dependent on origin or destination within Europe; I've seen CPH-LHR-SEA for only ~$250 one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.