Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Exit Row Seats Now Available for Purchase

Old Jun 13, 18, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Late last week I booked a flight (for later in June) LAX-PDX-LAX and was able to buy a window seat in the second exit row in one direction for $15 (roughly half the PE price on the mirror flight in the other direction). In the other direction a few PE seats were available but all the exit row seats showed unavailable.

When did this start? I just remember info about fees for exit row seats being buried in a thread about all sorts of upcoming fees, but never saw anything about this specific fee actually being in place or a start date announced for it.

I have no status at AS; I used to get free exit rows due to my LT Plat status at AA. So I actually like this fee, when it can save me money relative to buying PE.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, *wood LT Gold
Just curious what flight #s you booked on?

It looks like they are now selling Row 9 (the non-reclining exit row) on the A320s as Premium Class (that's new -- it used to be only Row 10)....

But in a quick look I did not see any flights where they were selling exit rows for a different price
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Late last week I booked a flight (for later in June) LAX-PDX-LAX and was able to buy a window seat in the second exit row in one direction for $15 (roughly half the PE price on the mirror flight in the other direction). In the other direction a few PE seats were available but all the exit row seats showed unavailable.

When did this start? I just remember info about fees for exit row seats being buried in a thread about all sorts of upcoming fees, but never saw anything about this specific fee actually being in place or a start date announced for it.

I have no status at AS; I used to get free exit rows due to my LT Plat status at AA. So I actually like this fee, when it can save me money relative to buying PE.
If you're on an AS 1xxx flight, that's an ex-VX plane. Exit rows are PC there...
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:50 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Whispers from Alaska were that the company was waiting for the RED smorgasbord to end before they included row 9 as premium, as it costs a lot of money to reprogram RED.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:05 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Just checked a few markets:

Juneau-Seattle on a "G" fare - exit rows were blocked, 737-900. Premium seat was $29.

Anchorage - Seattle on a "K" fare - exit rows also blocked,737-800 Premium seat was $39

LAX - HNL - all exits/bh are premium, $99. A320

SFO-DCA - exit rows blocked, premium cabin seats are $129 - A321
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:34 pm

Are the exit row seats free for MVP level elites? or just Gold and 75k?
Old Jun 14, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ASA_1 View Post
Are the exit row seats free for MVP level elites? or just Gold and 75k?
As of now, yes, exit rows qualify as "preferred seating" and are free for MVPs.
Old Jun 14, 18, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Do they allow a buy up on AS award tickets? Award tickets issued by partners?
Old Jun 14, 18, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
Just curious what flight #s you booked on?

It looks like they are now selling Row 9 (the non-reclining exit row) on the A320s as Premium Class (that's new -- it used to be only Row 10)....

But in a quick look I did not see any flights where they were selling exit rows for a different price
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
If you're on an AS 1xxx flight, that's an ex-VX plane. Exit rows are PC there...
Flight 543 up (where I bought the PC for $29), flight 562 down (where I bought the exit row for $15). Clearly not a 1xxx flight. Both evening flights (Fri up, Sat back down).

ExpertFlyer shows 543 as a 73J and 562 as a 73G (737-700). EF doesn't explain the 73J coding. I booked the 562 for Sat 23 Jun.

EF shows plenty exit row seats remaining on both flights, so presumably the exit row was blocked on 543 for me but shown on 562 to me (and like I said, quoted and charged $15 for).

And like I said, I was charged about half the price for exit as for PE, so it didn't feel as if they were selling the exit row as PC to me. (But since the exit row was available, I didn't click on any upfront rows to see if those would be a different price.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 14, 18 at 6:03 pm
Old Jun 15, 18, 12:33 am

73G exit and bulkhead rows have always been priced around $15. They are not premium class seats (Alaska has not done cabin refreshes on these aircraft) and do not come with premium class legroom (aside from 17A or 17F) or free drinks.

Not sure if you have status with Alaska but Iím a gold and I feel like I didnít have to pay the $15 last time I flew on a 73G. Maybe someone else knows.
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, Marriott & SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dawgshouse View Post
73G exit and bulkhead rows have always been priced around $15. They are not premium class seats (Alaska has not done cabin refreshes on these aircraft) and do not come with premium class legroom (aside from 17A or 17F) or free drinks.

Not sure if you have status with Alaska but Iím a gold and I feel like I didnít have to pay the $15 last time I flew on a 73G. Maybe someone else knows.
As an MVPG75K I don't get charged for any seat, exit or premium. You also get a free use of a digi-player and one free alcoholic beverage when you are not sitting in premium where drinks are included. If I select a premium seat I usually get an email just after payment saying that I have been upgraded to Premium but still remain on the waitlist for F.

James
Old Jun 19, 18, 5:59 pm

Premium Class Seat upgrade $15 for MVP Gold 75K - Glitch on the website

During the purchasing steps, Alaskaair.com was charging me $15 each way for upgrading to Premium Class. I confirmed that I was logged in as myself and my mileage number was in the reservation. Called into AS and they confirmed that this is a glitch. Interestingly enough, I choose a regular seat and within minutes of purchase I was automatically upgraded to PC.

They are working on it to be fixed and complimentary upgrades to work as part of the reservation.
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by agurg View Post
During the purchasing steps, Alaskaair.com was charging me $15 each way for upgrading to Premium Class. I confirmed that I was logged in as myself and my mileage number was in the reservation. Called into AS and they confirmed that this is a glitch. Interestingly enough, I choose a regular seat and within minutes of purchase I was automatically upgraded to PC.

They are working on it to be fixed and complimentary upgrades to work as part of the reservation.
Same thing is happening to me, on an A320, still waiting to see if the PC upgrade fixes it, or if I have to call in.

Had to call in and the change was made.

Last edited by safari ari; Jun 20, 18 at 12:47 pm
Old Jun 20, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Had the same $15 charge issue yesterday on two different bookings (K and L classes)óa 2 minute phone call was able to get me into the PC seats I wanted without a problem.
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by agurg View Post
I saw this last night, and again this morning. Looks like seat selection is more-or-less back to behaving like it used to now.