Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Exit Row Seats Now Available for Purchase

Exit Row Seats Now Available for Purchase

Reply

Old Jun 13, 18, 3:34 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 22,261
Exit Row Seats Now Available for Purchase

Late last week I booked a flight (for later in June) LAX-PDX-LAX and was able to buy a window seat in the second exit row in one direction for $15 (roughly half the PE price on the mirror flight in the other direction). In the other direction a few PE seats were available but all the exit row seats showed unavailable.

When did this start? I just remember info about fees for exit row seats being buried in a thread about all sorts of upcoming fees, but never saw anything about this specific fee actually being in place or a start date announced for it.

I have no status at AS; I used to get free exit rows due to my LT Plat status at AA. So I actually like this fee, when it can save me money relative to buying PE.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, *wood LT Gold
Posts: 1,532
Just curious what flight #s you booked on?

It looks like they are now selling Row 9 (the non-reclining exit row) on the A320s as Premium Class (that's new -- it used to be only Row 10)....

But in a quick look I did not see any flights where they were selling exit rows for a different price
tusphotog likes this.
Tracer_SEA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:55 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 15,823
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Late last week I booked a flight (for later in June) LAX-PDX-LAX and was able to buy a window seat in the second exit row in one direction for $15 (roughly half the PE price on the mirror flight in the other direction). In the other direction a few PE seats were available but all the exit row seats showed unavailable.

When did this start? I just remember info about fees for exit row seats being buried in a thread about all sorts of upcoming fees, but never saw anything about this specific fee actually being in place or a start date announced for it.

I have no status at AS; I used to get free exit rows due to my LT Plat status at AA. So I actually like this fee, when it can save me money relative to buying PE.
If you're on an AS 1xxx flight, that's an ex-VX plane. Exit rows are PC there...
eponymous_coward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:50 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 3,185
Whispers from Alaska were that the company was waiting for the RED smorgasbord to end before they included row 9 as premium, as it costs a lot of money to reprogram RED.
UAPremierExec is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 3,185
Just checked a few markets:

Juneau-Seattle on a "G" fare - exit rows were blocked, 737-900. Premium seat was $29.

Anchorage - Seattle on a "K" fare - exit rows also blocked,737-800 Premium seat was $39

LAX - HNL - all exits/bh are premium, $99. A320

SFO-DCA - exit rows blocked, premium cabin seats are $129 - A321
UAPremierExec is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 21
Are the exit row seats free for MVP level elites? or just Gold and 75k?
ASA_1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 9:18 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by ASA_1 View Post
Are the exit row seats free for MVP level elites? or just Gold and 75k?
As of now, yes, exit rows qualify as "preferred seating" and are free for MVPs.
be_rettSEA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 10:46 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 26,146
Do they allow a buy up on AS award tickets? Award tickets issued by partners?
3Cforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 5:57 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 22,261
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
Just curious what flight #s you booked on?

It looks like they are now selling Row 9 (the non-reclining exit row) on the A320s as Premium Class (that's new -- it used to be only Row 10)....

But in a quick look I did not see any flights where they were selling exit rows for a different price
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
If you're on an AS 1xxx flight, that's an ex-VX plane. Exit rows are PC there...
Flight 543 up (where I bought the PC for $29), flight 562 down (where I bought the exit row for $15). Clearly not a 1xxx flight. Both evening flights (Fri up, Sat back down).

ExpertFlyer shows 543 as a 73J and 562 as a 73G (737-700). EF doesn't explain the 73J coding. I booked the 562 for Sat 23 Jun.

EF shows plenty exit row seats remaining on both flights, so presumably the exit row was blocked on 543 for me but shown on 562 to me (and like I said, quoted and charged $15 for).

And like I said, I was charged about half the price for exit as for PE, so it didn't feel as if they were selling the exit row as PC to me. (But since the exit row was available, I didn't click on any upfront rows to see if those would be a different price.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 14, 18 at 6:03 pm
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 18, 12:33 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 14
73G exit and bulkhead rows have always been priced around $15. They are not premium class seats (Alaska has not done cabin refreshes on these aircraft) and do not come with premium class legroom (aside from 17A or 17F) or free drinks.

Not sure if you have status with Alaska but Iím a gold and I feel like I didnít have to pay the $15 last time I flew on a 73G. Maybe someone else knows.
Dawgshouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, Marriott & SPG Platinum
Posts: 507
Originally Posted by Dawgshouse View Post
73G exit and bulkhead rows have always been priced around $15. They are not premium class seats (Alaska has not done cabin refreshes on these aircraft) and do not come with premium class legroom (aside from 17A or 17F) or free drinks.

Not sure if you have status with Alaska but Iím a gold and I feel like I didnít have to pay the $15 last time I flew on a 73G. Maybe someone else knows.
As an MVPG75K I don't get charged for any seat, exit or premium. You also get a free use of a digi-player and one free alcoholic beverage when you are not sitting in premium where drinks are included. If I select a premium seat I usually get an email just after payment saying that I have been upgraded to Premium but still remain on the waitlist for F.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 18, 5:59 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 39
Premium Class Seat upgrade $15 for MVP Gold 75K - Glitch on the website

During the purchasing steps, Alaskaair.com was charging me $15 each way for upgrading to Premium Class. I confirmed that I was logged in as myself and my mileage number was in the reservation. Called into AS and they confirmed that this is a glitch. Interestingly enough, I choose a regular seat and within minutes of purchase I was automatically upgraded to PC.

They are working on it to be fixed and complimentary upgrades to work as part of the reservation.
agurg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:59 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 237
Originally Posted by agurg View Post
During the purchasing steps, Alaskaair.com was charging me $15 each way for upgrading to Premium Class. I confirmed that I was logged in as myself and my mileage number was in the reservation. Called into AS and they confirmed that this is a glitch. Interestingly enough, I choose a regular seat and within minutes of purchase I was automatically upgraded to PC.

They are working on it to be fixed and complimentary upgrades to work as part of the reservation.
Same thing is happening to me, on an A320, still waiting to see if the PC upgrade fixes it, or if I have to call in.

Had to call in and the change was made.

Last edited by safari ari; Jun 20, 18 at 12:47 pm
safari ari is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 18, 12:17 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEA/LAX
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 20
Had the same $15 charge issue yesterday on two different bookings (K and L classes)óa 2 minute phone call was able to get me into the PC seats I wanted without a problem.
treinhard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:03 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco & Seattle
Programs: AS 75K, SPG Platinum
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by agurg View Post
They are working on it to be fixed and complimentary upgrades to work as part of the reservation.
I saw this last night, and again this morning. Looks like seat selection is more-or-less back to behaving like it used to now.
CalanMan is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread