Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Third-Party Lounge Access for F Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Third-Party Lounge Access for F Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rill2503456
One could also argue that the lack of lounge access is already priced in, as flyers are aware that there is no lounge in SJC. If Alaska tickets did give access to a lounge in SJC, ticket prices would presumably rise .
Since when are prices directly related to costs?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Doesn’t everyone here already have access to Club@SLC via PP?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
I think the best feature of the lounge is a shower myself. Wish Alaska Lounges would have them...
Hell even more than a single restroom stall (looking at you SEA N lounge) would be a dream, but yes, showers are definitely a perk.

Agree with others that Priority Pass (via Amex Plat/CSR, etc etc etc) might be a good option if you are traveling enough and want lounge access. Wouldn't expect AS to cover that, and most know when purchasing tickets that lounge access is limited to the airports they currently have them.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Doesn’t everyone here already have access to Club@SLC via PP?
No.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
I think the best feature of the lounge is a shower myself. Wish Alaska Lounges would have them...
That wish, and a pair of ruby slippers, isn't going to get you a shower, nor even back to Kansas.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The economics and sunk costs of running their own lounges are probably way more affordable than the contracts. Comparing to other airlines, you're more likely to lose lounge access on domestic F tickets, than you are to get a third party lounge.
notquiteaff and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Originally Posted by channa
Since when are prices directly related to costs?
Prices aren't related to costs, they're related to demand (although presumably airlines aren't going to continuously sell tickets below cost). Presumably, if Alaska offered lounge access out of SJC, some fraction of buyers of first class SJC tickets would be aware of that fact (this is debatable, but I think it's a good assumption given that revenue F ticket purchasers probably fly more frequently and are more aware of the perks/tradeoffs between airlines than economy flyers). If that's true, demand for the tickets should be increased (eg, if your choices are DL and AS, and, all else equal, AS offers lounge access, you will probably choose AS) which would allow AS to raise prices commensurate with demand.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by rill2503456
Prices aren't related to costs, they're related to demand (although presumably airlines aren't going to continuously sell tickets below cost). Presumably, if Alaska offered lounge access out of SJC, some fraction of buyers of first class SJC tickets would be aware of that fact (this is debatable, but I think it's a good assumption given that revenue F ticket purchasers probably fly more frequently and are more aware of the perks/tradeoffs between airlines than economy flyers). If that's true, demand for the tickets should be increased (eg, if your choices are DL and AS, and, all else equal, AS offers lounge access, you will probably choose AS) which would allow AS to raise prices commensurate with demand.
Prices certainly have something to do with costs. If they're below costs you're gonna go out of business at some point.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn
I am flying First Class(P Fare) on Alaska from SJC and as SJC has no Boardroom I am surprised Alaska does not collaborate with the Club@SJC to allow access as does Lufthansa, British Airways, ANA etc.
Thoughts?<snipped>
My thoughts? Lufthansa, BA, and ANA are not competing with AS for domestic travel. AS doesn't fly outside of North America
AS is competing with NA carriers which do NOT normally give lounge access for domestic travel
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
My thoughts? Lufthansa, BA, and ANA are not competing with AS for domestic travel. AS doesn't fly outside of North America

AS is competing with NA carriers which do NOT normally give lounge access for domestic travel
Last time I checked Costa Rica was in Central America and Geographically Hawaii doesn't belong to any continent. I think AS flies to both of these places outside North America. Just a geography lesson, it doesn't discredit your claim.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.