Pricing Error from Orlando?

Old Jun 7, 18, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
Pricing Error from Orlando?

I want to fly with my cousins and my neices and nephews to DisneyWorld in Orlando. They are leaving November 11th and returning November 18th. Everyday differs in price as it should, and it generally fluctuates between $230-$319 per-way, which obviously is plenty reasonable.

Now the very odd part about this trip is the return. On November 18th to take AS19 non-stop MCO-SEA the price jumps an insane amount to $799 for coach on this one way segment. What? Now it puts you in Y class, even when you ask for the lowest fare available. I donít understand whatís going on here because since the flight is so empty, obviously there must be cheaper fare buckets available. The seatmap is not any more crowded than the other flights. I get that itís a Sunday, and it should be slightly more expensive, but 3-4x the regular price??? Is this a mistake? If it isnít why is it so high? How do I get it out of putting me in Y class? I almost fell out of my chair when I saw booking a coach ticket this far out on Alaska for that much. Thatís only $200 cheaper than first class. I cannot tell what is going on here or why on earth a coach ticket is so expensive and the system wonít put me out of Y on the return?

Last edited by NWplatinum; Jun 7, 18 at 12:16 am
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:14 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
You do realize that that's the Sunday before Thanksgiving, right?
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
You do realize that that's the Sunday before Thanksgiving, right?
Yeah yeah the Sunday before Thanksgiving I get it. Though this would make you think the flight TO Orlando would be more expensive. But anyway, why does it keep putting me in Y class? Is that really all that is available?
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Have you checked the fare buckets?
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:27 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Looks like Y is the only main cabin fare for sale on that flight as of now. From looking at the seat map, I'd agree it's not because they've sold typical amounts of seats in other fare buckets. Either a mistake (my guess) or counting on lots of people willing to pay $$$ to fly that day.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
On November 18th to take AS19 non-stop MCO-SEA the price jumps an insane amount to $799 for coach on this one way segment.
Look at the one way competition with much lower prices - as low as $289 one way on that date. Not sure I'd buy this far out versus just monitoring fares for now.
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...1-26;tt=o;eo=e
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Iím a mileageplan loyalist but I have to imagine this is no coincidence. They are probably charging this much anticipating how much demand they are going to have. Although I have to say, even with the holidays, itís the first time so far I have seen with so many seats available, for the only thing being sold was Y class.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Yeah yeah the Sunday before Thanksgiving I get it. Though this would make you think the flight TO Orlando would be more expensive. But anyway, why does it keep putting me in Y class? Is that really all that is available?
Currently that's the only fare bucket that AS is willing to sell for main cabin...
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
They did that last year for a pmVX flight I was looking at too, only Y fare for the entire thanksgiving holidays until the first "sale" for that period, which probably won't happen until a month or two from now.

I didn't want to wait and went ahead booked an AA 789 in "premium economy" (sold as MCE).

To be honest, I miss VX revenue management team. They always have the right price at the right time (I usually buy tickets far out). It seems like AS revenue management doesn't release the first T or R fare until WN (or NK) open up the schedule.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:51 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
There might be a tour group booking (or multiple) which is taking up a lot of seats on this flight. Group tickets often don't have seats assigned in advance, so the seat map isn't always a reliable indicator of how much inventory is left on a particular flight.
Old Jun 7, 18, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
There might be a tour group booking (or multiple) which is taking up a lot of seats on this flight. Group tickets often don't have seats assigned in advance, so the seat map isn't always a reliable indicator of how much inventory is left on a particular flight.
And if this is the case- they often can wait until 90 days out to ticket...
Old Jun 7, 18, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA

People who live in Orlando travel for Thanksgiving too.

Iím a mileageplan loyalist but I have to imagine this is no coincidence. They are probably charging this much anticipating how much demand they are going to have.
Well yeah. Obviously revenue management has decided not to release any discounted seats for the weekend before Thanksgiving on that route yet, presumably waiting to develop their revenue management model. I would count on them releasing cheaper seats at some point, but I have no idea how much cheaper. They may well never release seats at the price you see for a typical weekend. If they think they can fill the plane at higher fares, why should they sell cheaper ones?
Old Jun 7, 18, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In another thread, someone mentioned that many cruisers are returning on that day. Choose another day, or another routing.
Old Jun 7, 18, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
or AS plans to chop the route for that date.
Old Jun 7, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
This is normal transcon pricing for holiday periods when booked far in advance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: