Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing Error from Orlando?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by The ITDA
To be honest, I miss VX revenue management team. They always have the right price at the right time (I usually buy tickets far out). It seems like AS revenue management doesn't release the first T or R fare until WN (or NK) open up the schedule.
I'm not much for knowledge in the area of how VX was doing on revenue, but it didn't sound like they were doing an awesome job... Most airlines have jacked up prices around holidays and it's hard to find T or R fares on AS or similar options on other airlines (see also June 29th/July 8th, September 1st/3rd, Xmas, thxgiving, easter...). There's plenty of R and T out there in the future - just look at Bay Area-NYC: everything past mid October that's not around a holiday is cheap as hell. They might not release R and T on the MCO routes because those are probably as popular if not more so than Hawaii and they know they can get more money for those tickets. Seems like intelligent revenue management to me, but I'm only in personal revenue management...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:49 am

Alaska Airlines is really bad about releasing lower fare buckets earlier, and that's one reason I end up not booking with them as much as I want.

E.g. I wanted to lock in an Austin-Seattle trip, where typical one-way pricing is alway $100-150. But if you look far in advance, alaska is only selling $500+ fares one-way on every single day. Fine, I'll book with delta instead who have released lower fare buckets already.

Same with Anchorage-Seattle route now, where alaska consistently prices itself almost $200+ one-way during the summer unless its closer in, while everyone from JetBlue/Delta and even SunCountry now are selling $100ish fares. I understand there are loyalist, but my loyalty has a price limit and its not that high.

If they don't release lower fare buckets they'll lose out on anyone who is booking more than 2 months in advance, which isn't many people but still not insignificant.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I'm not much for knowledge in the area of how VX was doing on revenue, but it didn't sound like they were doing an awesome job... Most airlines have jacked up prices around holidays and it's hard to find T or R fares on AS or similar options on other airlines (see also June 29th/July 8th, September 1st/3rd, Xmas, thxgiving, easter...). There's plenty of R and T out there in the future - just look at Bay Area-NYC: everything past mid October that's not around a holiday is cheap as hell. They might not release R and T on the MCO routes because those are probably as popular if not more so than Hawaii and they know they can get more money for those tickets. Seems like intelligent revenue management to me, but I'm only in personal revenue management...
Sorry for the confusion, but that's what I meant:
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Alaska Airlines is really bad about releasing lower fare buckets earlier, and that's one reason I end up not booking with them as much as I want.
I was saying releasing T&R fare in general, not during the holidays. WN just opened the schedule to Jan 6 very recently so AS is attacking a lot of those fares. If you look at DAL-LAX, a highly competitive route in off peak periods like Jan-Feb, these fares aren't getting AS anywhere. AA has always done a wave of O fare when they first open the schedule for off peak periods. Usually even with the lowest bucket, they could only sell only a few seats per flight that far in advance anyways so it won't hurt their bottom line while capturing the people who wanted to plan early.

I can see releasing some T&R, especially midweek, far in advance can definitely help their RASM.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:30 pm

If they don't release lower fare buckets they'll lose out on anyone who is booking more than 2 months in advance, which isn't many people but still not insignificant.
I was saying releasing T&R fare in general, not during the holidays. Usually even with the lowest bucket, they could only sell only a few seats per flight that far in advance anyways so it won't hurt their bottom line while capturing the people who wanted to plan early. I can see releasing some T&R, especially midweek, far in advance can definitely help their RASM.
Fair enough - this seems to happen on some routes and not others. I would estimate there is a fancy metric or algorithm they use to price those things... Or maybe they have a fare-is wheel that randomly stops at a price point - sorta like the Price Is Right
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
E.g. I wanted to lock in an Austin-Seattle trip, where typical one-way pricing is alway $100-150. But if you look far in advance, alaska is only selling $500+ fares one-way on every single day. Fine, I'll book with delta instead who have released lower fare buckets already.
Could be that the AS RM team knows they will fill that plane anyway, whereas DL has problems filling that plane because they are a smaller carrier at SEA, so they are more aggressive on pricing.

If you figure that someone who wants to buy the cheapest possible fare off of Kayak ALWAYS exists in the market, trading an MVPG's way far in advance purchase who they have to expend costs on (free luggage, free changes, drink in main cabin, upgrade, etc.) for Kayak Dude three months later actually is a WIN for them ("Oh, you need to check luggage? $$$ please. Want a drink? $").

I can see releasing some T&R, especially midweek, far in advance can definitely help their RASM.
... assuming they can't otherwise fill that seat. Giving you a $50 advance purchase and not giving someone else a $500 close in purchase because the seat was sold to you is a bad trade for your RASM.

I've bought VX MCS tickets that were cheaper than MC. Way to go, VX, awesome way to maximize RASM- give me more stuff for a cheaper fare when I would have been fine paying the exact same $ for MC, possibly more (and I'm not the only one who saw that happen in markets).

So I wouldn't say AS RM is 100% clueless and VX RM knew what it was doing 100% of the time.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
I wanted to lock in an Austin-Seattle trip, where typical one-way pricing is alway $100-150. But if you look far in advance, alaska is only selling $500+ fares one-way on every single day. Fine, I'll book with delta instead who have released lower fare buckets already.
Looking at AS oneway nonstops on AUS-SEA, the most expensive flights I could find were over Thanksgiving, for $400, except for a number of days in March/April 2019 where it is indeed $541. Typical prices were $120-200, with higher prices ($300) around Thanksgiving and Christmas. So yes, if you are indeed trying to book a year out, what you are saying is (currently) true, but otherwise this is wrong.

Same with Anchorage-Seattle route now, where alaska consistently prices itself almost $200+ one-way during the summer unless its closer in, while everyone from JetBlue/Delta and even SunCountry now are selling $100ish fares.
This seems mostly true. Alaska actually has the most competitive prices for July, but is about 50% more expensive than the cheapest of JetBlue/Sun Country/Delta in August and later.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rill2503456
This seems mostly true. Alaska actually has the most competitive prices for July, but is about 50% more expensive than the cheapest of JetBlue/Sun Country/Delta in August and later.
Of course, none of those other airlines have ability to connect on their own metal beyond ANC, none of them have hubs on both ends where they get 50% or more of the market, and only one of them has a hub on ONE end (DL in SEA).

But sure, the airline called "Alaska Airlines" probably doesn't understand how to price their fares to maximize RASM in the SEA-ANC market very well, when compared to this airline. OK. The FT Executive VPs of Revenue Management have got this one covered.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:15 pm

No, it is not a mistake. It's typical AS price for holiday season on transcon or Hawaii routes. They price holiday flights at ridiculous high rate. I usually use companion fare when I need take holiday flights. It can save $$$ on some flights comparing with DL but won't save in some other cases. DL often prices < half of AS on MCO routes.

I was fine with that in the past given that we all believe AS has better services. But now I am more and more skeptical as As is rapidly going down to align with big 4. DL actually has better services in many aspects such as free lunch in transcon. HA also has free lunch on Hawaii routes. I am not sure how AS will be in the future.

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I want to fly with my cousins and my neices and nephews to DisneyWorld in Orlando. They are leaving November 11th and returning November 18th. Everyday differs in price as it should, and it generally fluctuates between $230-$319 per-way, which obviously is plenty reasonable.

Now the very odd part about this trip is the return. On November 18th to take AS19 non-stop MCO-SEA the price jumps an insane amount to $799 for coach on this one way segment. What? Now it puts you in Y class, even when you ask for the lowest fare available. I don’t understand what’s going on here because since the flight is so empty, obviously there must be cheaper fare buckets available. The seatmap is not any more crowded than the other flights. I get that it’s a Sunday, and it should be slightly more expensive, but 3-4x the regular price??? Is this a mistake? If it isn’t why is it so high? How do I get it out of putting me in Y class? I almost fell out of my chair when I saw booking a coach ticket this far out on Alaska for that much. That’s only $200 cheaper than first class. I cannot tell what is going on here or why on earth a coach ticket is so expensive and the system won’t put me out of Y on the return?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:42 pm

But sure, the airline called "Alaska Airlines" probably doesn't understand how to price their fares to maximize RASM in the SEA-ANC market very well, when compared to this airline. OK. The FT Executive VPs of Revenue Management have got this one covered.
    Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:58 pm

This is obviously not an issue for alaska since they'll fill the plane by dropping prices closer in, but its a problem for advance planners who would otherwise have preferred to fly alaska but can't because they don't release lower fare buckets.
    Confident enough in your estimation to use the available low fare guarantee? That's still there. Book now, wait for prices to drop, pad the ol' wallet?
    eponymous_coward likes this.
    Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG
    They know what they are doing. I’ve seen this same empty plane, Y only 11 months out for PSP during annual 100,000 visitor weekends and away seahawk games.
    Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:48 am
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
    Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
    Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:45 am
    Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
    I get Alaska wants to maximize revenue on this flight. But punishing everyone who wants to book on this flight and sending them to Y fare buckets? I’m a loyalists, but I agree with what someone else said, every has their breaking points where I cannot justify a coach ticket that is $200 less than their F.
    Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
    Originally Posted by NWplatinum
    I get Alaska wants to maximize revenue on this flight. But punishing everyone who wants to book on this flight and sending them to Y fare buckets? I’m a loyalists, but I agree with what someone else said, every has their breaking points where I cannot justify a coach ticket that is $200 less than their F.
    Sounds like it might be best to book another airline?

My partner and I are going to fly home from LIH to SEA on Dec 31. When we looked last March, AS was charging $899 and Delta was charging $345 for similarly timed flights. We went ahead and booked Delta.

I just checked - the Delta flight is going for $557 with approximately 30 seats left. AS is still $899 with only ~20 seats selected. My guess is that AS will end up selling all of those seats eventually, but at a higher average price than Delta.

They know what they are doing with pricing, but as a consumer there are choices. Its starting to look better and better to book as a “free agent” instead of chasing MVP.
    Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
    They are doing the same with SFO to PVR over Thanksgiving. A fare from 11/20-11/27 Tuesday-Tuesday) on Alaska is close to $1,000. It's less than $500 on United. If I was not nervous about having enough miles to maintain Gold status this would be a no-brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.